Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. President Edmund O Schweitzer III
Edmund O Schweitzer III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Friday lunch is a catered lunch every Friday where all details of company are explained" (in 21 reviews)

• "They treat their employees very well and encourage a healthy work-life balance" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance doesn't exist" (in 14 reviews)

• "It's in a small town with two major universities nearby" (in 11 reviews)

"Best job I have ever had and the best place I have ever worked hands down."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Pullman, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best and hardest job I have ever had. This is the best place I have ever worked, and I have consistently had great bosses. I feel I have ownership in my work and can be creative in solutions to problems. Management communicates a great deal of information about the business with all the employees and I've never seen that type of investment at any other place I've worked.

Cons

I wish we had a soccer field at work.
    I wish we had a company cafeteria at work.
    I wish we had EV charging stations at work.
    My brother doesn't work here...but I keep suggesting he come.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and don't stop developing and investing in the people here. The heavy investment in a great culture keeps the company strong and company values are maintained this way. Keep insisting on integrity, quality and the high customer focus.

2. "Employee Owned, excellent community values"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pullman, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ESOP account and employee benefits, including free on-site health care and gym

Cons

Small Town, few advancement opportunities

"SEL is easily the most moral and employee focused company I've worked for"

Current Employee - CAD Designer in Pullman, WA
    Current Employee - CAD Designer in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is employee owned, Employees genuinely care about doing whats right and ethical as opposed to being driven by 'bottom-line' ethics. Management is engaged and wants feedback, encourages employees to innovate and improve their own processes and others around the company

Cons

Expect overtime, many things can be deadline driven and if something urgent drops into your lap in the afternoon be prepared to either stay late to finish it on short notice or be looked at like a slacker for not being willing to make the sacrifice. To be fair I've never seen repercussions for those who don't stay late but you do feel the judgement, plus it doesn't matter why the project ended up in your queue with no notice, its just expected to get done on time.

Advice to Management

inter-departmental personnel should be established, not only to help break communication silo's but to keep different departments that work with eachother in lock step, we often talk about breaking silos but it often feels like its mere talk and that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing or needs.

"Worst company I’ve eorked for"

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

A few good coworkers with the desire to make a difference.

Cons

Infantile management, inept HR, cult-like fear tactics. Absolutely ridiculous.

Advice to Management

The values are a lie and people are too afraid (for good reason) to speak up. How on earth does that promote the kind of openness needed to make a company great?

"Good ol Boy's club"

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Benefits are good for the area

Cons

Where to begin?

First off, don't ever offer up an opinion! it will be shut down unless your buddys with the supervisors and upper management.

Are you being harassed? forget about reporting it because they will blame the harassment on you and turn everything around.

Values? the Values they preach are nothing but a joke because the only ones who stick to them are employees who aren't on the buddy system and don't have their head up some supervisors ******.

If you point out anything that you feel has violated company values example: employees, work performance, attitude, etc you will be placed on the chopping block and will not advance.

This company is a pure Cult! they want you to come to work, play the game, don't ask questions, don't have an opinion, don't stand up for yourself, don't ever ever ever call out a lazy or incompetent co-worker because then you are a nark and will be treated like you are in grade school.

Walk through the plant and you will see nothing but frowning faces, people who walk with their heads down, and basically are afraid to even say goodmorning! too afraid that they might OFFEND someone.

Young people who have absolutely no work ethic but yet because they party with the boss on weekends or they are sleeping with the head cheese that year, or they are married to a supv or line lead get promoted even if they sit around and play on their cell phone.

Sickening to say the least and the company knows this is going on and they do not care. YOU ARE Replaceable.!

Remember what I say, don't have an opinion, keep your mouth shut, and collect a paycheck and you will do just fine.

on a side note, make sure you wear your blinders and don't put your heart on your sleeve because they will crush it for fun.

Advice to Management

Management sucks! haven't met an honest person yet who can be truthful and stick by his word. "Riding for the Brand does not exist with this company" These people have zero Respect for anyone but themselves and continuously use scare tactics to keep people quiet.

6. "Software engineer"

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great benefits and exciting work.

Cons

Career ladder is not consistent between managers

7. "Manufacturing"

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Overall, it is a very good company, with excellent benefits.

Cons

The corporate culture is light years away from the atmosphere in manufacturing. Those at the top are very disconnected from entry-level employees. In manufacturing, you are treated as replaceable, the wages are not commensurate with experience and there is no real career ladder.

Advice to Management

You have supervisory employees who are incompetent, who do not do their jobs, and retaliation is happening to anyone who speaks up.

"Good for Starters"

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Good Company for starters.
    Employee Owned
    Technically strong work group.

Cons

Kinda slows down and repetitive after a few years
    Horrible work life balance.

Advice to Management

Dont micro manage and trust your employees to do the best for the org. After all it is an employee owned company.

9. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pullman, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pullman, WA

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart People, Very technical work

Cons

Average Salary and not very fast paced Product churn because of the nature of the products

10. "Excellent Culture, Great People"

Pros

Great place to work, benefits are good for the area, encouraged to learn and solve problems.

Cons

Could be a pro or a con: Pullman is in the middle of no where with two universities sitting on it. The Palouse is a nice area, but can drag on you after some years. Schweitzer is more or less the only game in town as well, they don't really HAVE to compete on salary...