Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 18, 2019

3.8
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories President Edmund O Schweitzer III
Edmund O Schweitzer III
Pros
  • "Good job of informing employees of company direction with Friday lunch(in 37 reviews)

• "Company is employee owned, Employees genuinely care about doing whats right and ethical as opposed to being driven by 'bottom-line' ethics(in 16 reviews)

Cons

"Great place for an internship"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Learned a lot - Great people to work with - ESOP as an intern - Very flexible with school schedule - Valued even as an intern - Live the culture - GREAT pay for interns

Cons

- No relocation possibilities in the marketing field

Advice to Management

None, this company is great to work for. I just wish I was able to stay with the company post-graduation. I highly recommend otherwise if you are in the Pullman area and plan to stay, or if you are in school and want to gain great and valuable internship experience during your time in Pullman/Moscow.

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-11-07
  2. "Good"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time

Pros

Good values and Customer focused

Cons

Mostly Poor work life balance

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-11-07

"Meh"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pullman, WA

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Very casual environment - The founder is a super cool guy

Cons

- Executives don't know what they're doing - Kids of executives get special treatment - Some lead developers don't ever get caught for being incompetent

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-11-19

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work environment is very welcoming and friendly. The company values are real and emphasized, not just abstract stuff for optics. This makes you know you are working for a good cause.

Cons

A lot of work for few people

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-10-10
  5. "Very good company.. To much work"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Pullman, WA

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good company.. Great values

Cons

Too much work ... Small city

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-09-29
  6. "Good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship)

Pros

Salary, culture, values, teams, respect

Cons

I found none in my experience

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-09-19

"Worked as an assembler for more than 3 years on swing-shift."

Former Employee - Senior Assembler in Pullman, WA

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work is decent and not very physically demanding, depending on what department you're in. If you're one of those people that just wants to work for that paycheck and not deal with anything else, this might just work out. They have an ESOP that kinda encourages employees to work the whole nine yards. Some supervisors are more down to earth than others and actually will try their best to help you in... whatever you want to do...or not want to do. The place also offers free lunch on Fridays (quality may vary) and 24/7 access to their small, but free gym. Also there's a daycare for employees with kids, but that isn't free and is mostly there for the day shift people. There are some interesting and great people to meet and work alongside there. One of the most memorable things for that place is the new friends I met, considering that when I applied I thought I wouldn't get to know anyone well since I was socially introverted and not from the local area. They sometimes give out free water bottles and other trinkets during important meetings. You can change jobs internally if you don't like your current one. You'll just have to wait for an open position, however long that takes.

Cons

The work, although decent, is very repetitive. Expect to be doing the same thing for about two weeks at least until they cycle you out to another area. Parking can be hectic, especially when day shift is leaving for the day and you're just coming in. Personally I found it easier just to come to work earlier or park very far away. Pay is probably enough if you're living by yourself and in an apartment at best.... If you have a family to support, even doing overtime (when available) might not be able to do the trick. Pullman is great if you like looking at hills and open sky while having absolutely nothing to do besides work and drink. There's WSU, but only if you're a college kid. Moscow, Idaho has plenty more to offer in terms of entertainment, shopping, and activities. You will breathe and embrace SEL, or at least they'll try to make you do so. They expect you exemplify the values to everyone you meet and use this to convince others how great it is to work at SEL. Also most of their manufacturing techniques come from one book that seems a little outdated. It is supposed to enlighten people to why SEL is doing things the way it does, but it's definitely not a page-turner. Do not try hard to argue or question their goals or ideas, lest you want to make your personal advancements more difficult. The sane people and focusing on your task at hand is all you'll really need, unless you really want to climb to highest areas of the career ladder. Nepotism is definitely at work here, although it has waned a bit from when I first started. Not enough to say it'll go away though. Decent supervisors are apparently rare. I guess I was lucky to have two who actually knew how the whole thing was in reality and were just trying to make the best of it. There is also conflict between supervisors regarding how to do things, and not just the ones across shifts but sometimes in the same department. It can make the meetings a little awkward honestly. They like to cycle unsuccessful concepts and processes over and over, especially with new people who are unfamiliar to them. Sure they change a thing or two slightly, but not enough to call it new and probably will be discarded again later on. Finally there's the black little birds that nest around SEL during the summer. If you walk close to their territories, they'll aggressively swoop down at you and try to defecate on you as well. Doesn't help that they nest near the sidewalks and parking lots. Company doesn't really do anything about them and I don't know if they actually can. Just an annoyance really.

Advice to Management

Please stop cycling the same ideas over and over. We tried it once and it didn't work. Months later does not mean it will actually work this time. While it most likely will not happen, try to consider the different opinions and ideas of others. There are also other books on modern manufacturing, I bet. If people just choose to work and nothing else, that should be fine enough for the company. Do something... about those birds if possible.

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-09-16
  8. "Good company"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time

Pros

Company makes sure you know how to succeed

Cons

Your experience may vary greatly depending on your department and mmanager.

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-09-02

"Fun Company with Lots of Learning Opportunities"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time

Pros

-Career growth and learning is very important. -Friday lunches were great time to learn more about the company with free lunch

Cons

-Given how hard it can be to get through the interview process, the pay isn't the best

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-08-21

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays and culture of teaching

Cons

1. All their principles are based on a book from the 80s and they apply it to concepts/departments that have no relevance to the concepts of manufacturing 2. Pride themselves on hiring within, however now has caused a culture of close minded- ness and lack of innovation 3. Most employees are unengaged 4. Unless you are a foreign national that requires citenzenship or someone living in one of their obscure... locations without any opportunities, don’t bother working here.

Advice to Management

Upgrade from Lotus notes. Ridiculous to use that in any means Pay people better

Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories2019-08-28