SciQuest Reviews in Cary, NC | Glassdoor

1.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Bonavito
1 Rating

Pros
  • We work very hard but also maintain work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Free sodas, outdoor patio for lunch food trucks, great working environment, work from home days (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, on-call shifts aren't pleasant to family/work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• million package and left, along with the whole executive team (in 8 reviews)

"Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cary, NC

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with over there. Work life balance is pretty good

Cons

There were some bad business decisions that cause the company stock went down.But it was corrected later on.

SciQuest Response

Apr 26, 2016 – Senior Director for Engineering

We agree that SciQuest has some of the best employees anywhere — top notch folks with deep product experience. We believe the work/life balance is better than other places where evenings and ... More

"full of sorrow and pain"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time

Pros

anything i could say here would be prefaced with "there used to be." everyone has been fired that drove positive changes.

Cons

The company was bought out a few months ago by an equity investment company, AKKR. Now we have a bunch of new managers that are cleaning house. They fired the executive team, a large number of managers across departments, marketing, sales, development, etc. They fired a number of people that have been here for years.
    The new managers are trying to trim as many people as possible to make the company much leaner. They flat out told us at the beginning of the acquisition that they want to make 50% of the developers here and 50% in South America. They seem to be prepping us to be flipped, so if you want to work somewhere and be a stepping stone to someone else's greater financial glory, this is the place for you. The equity company has a list of past conquests of theirs on their website. I can only assume that the SciQuest employees are not the first, nor will we be the last.

Advice to Management

I regret to see that your love for U.S. citizens is not as great as your love for U.S. currency.
    You say that your devotion to the customer is #1. That is completely false. You fired a number of quality assurance and software developers several weeks before a major release went out. Also, you put investments on the back burner regarding product improvement which will be harmful to the organization.
    I think you should outsource HR as well, you'll save some money.
    The former CEO had this saying where he would try to balance the employees with the stock holders with the customers. You should follow that kind of approach instead of your parasitical approach.

SciQuest Response

Oct 26, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

We recognize that the past several weeks have been difficult. The changes our new leaders have made were necessary to move SciQuest forward. The positive change is just beginning. Yes, SciQuest looks ... More

"Run as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some that worked in different departments were pleasant to work with. Also I have to say leaving was a positive thing. The best decision I ever made or one of them was leaving this place.

Cons

Regarding Con's there are really to many to mention from my perspective. I will list a few.

1. Beware of which department you approach if you dare working here. Some managers are great but others beyond corrupt and won't hesitate to make your life hell. Plus many are linked so if one has issue no matter how stellar you are the trickle effect will commence.

2. Poor quality products for those in sales or those in IT support.

The software and products they use are dated and poorly put together. With no real documentation or infrastructure to support it. Think of patching a damn that is continually breaking with more water being poured in daily. Where in sales or IT support you will constantly be stressed patching holes in the never ending cycle of pain that is there product line.

Just my advice there a many companies I have seen that push quality products with excellent documentation. Support and equal management ethics that make it easy to come to work. This is not that place so my advice is to go back the way you came and look some where else.

"Too Specific - Anonymous Please"

Former Employee - Customer Facing in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Facing in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none I can think of

Cons

Regarding any kind of senior role, one only has to meet the CEO for 15 minutes or attend one of his public appearances to know that this is no place to be. All I can think of is that the company must be printing money. Otherwise the Board of this firm would show the CEO the door in about 15 seconds.

Advice to Management

This advice is to the Board as the management of this firm has no discernible courage, backbone or testosterone.

"Worst experience of my career."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good There are some talented people at SciQuest. Unfortunately, most of them have already left or are looking to leave.

Cons

Poor executive decisions have led to product problems, a sustained drop in stock price and massive turnover. Good people leave and people who should be moved out are kept if they aid and abet the bad behavior of the CEO. A lot has been said about the CEO's behavior and it is all true. He is a foul-mouthed bully that runs the company based on intimidation and fear. It is an awful place to work.

Advice to Management

The management takes no advice. That much is clear. The CEO continues to run through management and staff like water through a hose.

"Case Study of Greed and Ignorance"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and some decent perks. It has to be competitive on benefits or else they would not be able to hire developers.

Cons

1 word: CEO. It all stems down from his management style. Bully, intimidator, jerk, classless, greedy...the adjectives are all true. It's one thing to be the bad guy when the company needed to be straightened out in the early days. Its' another to continue to be that guy and worse as time goes on and you get rich from all the employees hard work as you berate and fire them at will.

Advice to Management

Your story of turning around the company is now old and thin. The story about SQI now is that you're a terrible place to work and you lack the culture and knowledge to build quality software. Now you've run out of companies to acquire and your technology stack is a mess. You deserve it because you just wanted your stock to go up regardless of the quality of your product or company culture.

"Too many excuses from the corner office"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cary, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people ...good benefits and some perks. Talented people who want to to do the best job possible for their customers and prospects

Cons

Too many acquisitions and not enough focus on delivering a suite of products versus point solutions. Don't be fooled SciQuest will tell you they have products that are integrated but it is just not true ... very hard for these guys to integrate with multiple systems and charts of accounts ... products require multiple points of integration and reporting is still an area where the tools have deficiencies.

Advice to Management

Focus on delivering tools that work versus acquiring companies just because they are accretive to earnings.

"Rude Abusive Culture from executive management"

Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Global Accounts/Sales Engineering Manager in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

health benefits and free coffee, soda and occasionally Hurricanes tix

Cons

Worst kept secret in the office is that in January QBR's the CEO repeatedly berated managers with profanity and the F-Bomb and threatened and insulted his employees. When managers give the CEO honest feedback on the product limitations, development shortcomings and failures he blows his top and yells its a sales execution problem. An Ostrich sticking his head in the sand denying its a product issue.
    How come you haven't sold any full suite end to end solutions in 2014? What happened to those large full suiet deals that you said weren't lost and just pushed in Q1 "14, well they still haven't closed a year later

Advice to Management

Being rude, swearing at, insulting and berating managers is not leadership. Its classless and shows your insecurity. You have cronies on your team and board and you cant get the stock out of its lowest point with this behavior
    Please resign on behalf of your employees

"Dysfunctional"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda and coffee..good health benefits

Cons

management has no clue what their team is up to and drives the bus over anyone especially if a person does not agree or asks too many questions. you will be shown the door have seen it happen way to often. There is huge turn over especially on the sourcing side.

My manager in particular had asked "so, how many hours to you put in at night or the weekend?" Really?

Advice to Management

Pay attention and don't tell your people to write rave reviews about the company

"Relatively good place to work if you enjoy banging your head against the wall or you used to work for AllScripts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice new office, pay is competitive, some of the best worker bee people you will ever meet, free coffee

High performing individuals seem to be well taken care of. I am not sure what the "rules" are to be in that select group though.

Cons

I have seen the company's strategy shift in the little time I have been here. They used to have a really good software application that they saturated the higher education market with. In the last 2 years they have purchased 4 companies that have horrible product quality. I have heard horror stories about some of the issues people in support and professional services have had to deal with in Sourcing, TSM, and Contract Director. I am not sure what the issues are but heard QA and product architecture is not at the quality we want it to be.

We just got a new office in the last 2 months however someone thought it would be a good idea to only have microwaves on the first floor. There are double the people on the second floor yet we have no microwave. How many does the first floor have 8....yeah that makes perfect sense.

Certain employees are treated differently.

Advice to Management

Most of my experience with SciQuest has been pretty good. However when your CEO drops more f-bombs then Eminem in concert there is probably an issue. I have read all of the reviews about SciQuest on Glassdoor. If you read them you will notice a very distinct pattern. It is a great place to work if you are in the right department or have the right manager.

For the most part people are pretty happy....unless you are going for a promotion and one of the candidates used to work at Allscripts. Don't get me wrong, the majority of people I have met in my 2 years here from AllScripts are actually pretty good. I just seems like they are the only ones getting management jobs. In talking to some of the old timers, (5+ years) they share a similar viewpoint.

I have heard some real horror stories about people that actually interface with the CEO though. People say he acts very unprofessional. He curses, bullies, and says very sexist things. In my 2 years here I have only seen him at our company meetings. In all my past companies I have really looked up to the CEO and respected them greatly. He actually had the audacity to ask all of his employees to come on GlassDoor and post a company review. He stressed making a positive one to bring up the company ratings. His thinking was the reason our rating was so low is because only people "leaving" posted reviews. This is my first time on GlassDoor and I am very glad he urged me to read this site.