SciQuest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Bonavito

Pros
  • We work very hard but also maintain work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Free sodas, outdoor patio for lunch food trucks, great working environment, work from home days (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, on-call shifts aren't pleasant to family/work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• million package and left, along with the whole executive team (in 8 reviews)

"Not a great place for software engineering"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Fairly flexible
    * Nice vacation policy
    * A couple really bright people

Cons

* Absolutely toxic culture for such a small company
    * Way too much dead weight in all facets of the company
    * Extremely low morale

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to jettison people that aren't working out / doing work. It really does bring everyone else down to see these people coddled and sometimes even promoted. Long term vision has been non-existent.

"Full of Freeloaders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Salary
    Decent PTO
    Decent 401k
    Good Benefits

Cons

Disconnect between sales teams and actual products
    Out of date technology
    Toxic workplace environment
    Drowning in bureaucracy for such a small company
    Most managers are simply collecting a paycheck

Advice to Management

Layoffs are a part of life, no one is questioning that. What is questionable is why layoffs would occur with seemingly no oversight. I have never seen any company lay off over half its workers and still be mostly dead weight. There is no way to sustain a company where most of the workers come in and collect a paycheck with as little effort required. I see this in every level of the company.

We need to fix the sales process! We do a great job of getting clients signed, then we pretty much hang them out to dry. If an issue comes up while implementing new software with a client, the next time we should not repeat the exact same mistake; unfortunately this is NOT the case.

I hear good ideas for change coming from the top, but until those changes start happening, I have little hope. The culture is to look out for yourself and avoid accountability at all costs. The company was in a bad place before it was purchased by AKKR, i'm not sure why many of the mid level managers who got us into that mess are still around.

Best of luck turning this ship around, I'll believe it when I see it (if i'm still here).

"Not as advertised."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, free soda and coffee, decent benefits package, smart co-workers.

Cons

Too many to list. The culture and morale of this decades-old company at absolute rock bottom and worst I've ever encountered. The recent 2016 acquisition left this place reeling. Negative Glassdoor reviews are spot on.

I've never witnessed corporate blight at this scale post 2008. Droves of empty cubes and long faces. Perpetual atmosphere of aggression, sadness, despair.

Go elsewhere if you are a career coder, developer, or engineer. Company is scrambling to integrate products that might be older than some of you in the workforce. Tremendous knowledge gaps left by previous workforce. Total react.

Steep learning curve to an endlessly complex convoluted infrastructure. Stodgy aloof veterans guard the gates and hold the keys.

Zero work-life balance. Remaining workforce trimmed next-to-nothing. Remaining crew expected to be available on call online 24/7/365. Work from home policy being taken away.

Atrocious management of resources. Non-existent processes. HR won't save you. Get everything in writing.

Bottom line: Bought and sold good ol' boy club. Plenty of fancy BMW's lined up outside, big egos inside.

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. Stay far, far away.

Advice to Management

Nothing wrong with rolling in the dough, milking it for what its worth, but the least you could do is be a little more transparent. Some of us just need a job, and have no problem with taking orders from on high, even if it's just for us to look like we're busy. The least you could do is treat the worker bees with a shred of decency and respect while you're up there riding the wave.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Durham, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solution Competitive work from home

Cons

Not Enterprise ready in the Commercial space Leadership is doesn't show a consistent and strategic business model Lack of direction

Feb 17, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your feedback. You’re correct that our solutions are very competitive in the marketplace. And thanks to the hard work of the commercial team, fully half of our customers are in ... More

"Finally feeling good about the company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest (More than a year)

Pros

After 13 months it felt like riding a roller coaster. Finally, the vibe is positive and future direction of what we are working on is clear.

Cons

Would be nice if we had bagels every morning for breakfast.

Advice to Management

Keep giving us more opportunity to explore new technologies.

"Overall poor feeling about the company."

Former Employee - Solution Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Solution Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time

Pros

Great pay, great teammates, challenging work as well. Learning development is okay as well. Diversity of clients is a plus as well.

Cons

Management
    Benefits
    Constant layoffs

I would not recommend anyone to work their. Upper level management is awful. CEO is awful and doesn't connect well with other employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and be transparent. We were told everything would operate as normal during the acquisition and then we over 60 percent of the employees were laid off afterwards(within 4mos).

Dec 1, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

While it’s not true that “over 60 percent of employees were laid off,” we did make changes to better align our workforce with the needs of our customers. We agree that this is a challenging and ... More

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful co-workers and great atmosphere until the recent acquisition. WFH day per week.

Cons

Could be better paid and would do well to retain talented employees.

Advice to Management

Please be open and honest to employees and retain talent.

"sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

competitive product with good underlying technology. while it took some time to integrate the modules together, it seems as though they finally did it the way it should have been done.

Cons

punitive environment, sales was seen as a disposable function that was the brunt of all that went wrong. QBRs were a reason for senior mgt to abuse sales teams even more.

Advice to Management

figure out how to help the sales process instead of piling more useless admin processes on top of the field. Use top deal calls to listen to what is needed to close deals instead of to beat people up

Dec 1, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to share this valuable feedback. We are working hard to build a better, more successful company and listening to both employees and customers is how we plan to do it.

"Get out while the Gettin' is good"

Current Employee - Developer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Developer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Proir to Aug '16

- Fountain Drinks
    - Coffee
    - Great social events
    - Managers
    - Coworkers
    Work environment was great. Got things done. Sure there were last minute changes/addins of code, but the is part of a software company

Post Aug '16

- If you enjoy watching all your friends get the boot
    - If you enjoy the new CEO walking the halls making sure you are working
    - Sound of Crickets

Cons

The "NEW" execs, AKKR, rolled in, laid-off alot of people for nothing more then the financial bottom line. For the ones that made it through the firing squad, little by little we are finding other employment and leaving on our own. No one wants to work for people that all they do is flip companies for money. They talk that the client is first, and we will listen, and the standard open door policy. NOT, they are just looking to flip the company, nothing more, nothing less. They have laid off so many people, and their shop in Bolivia is not up to speed yet, and people are leaving on their own, they now have the "wide eye" look. So what do they do, they post open positions on the Careers site to try to hire people that were just let go!!.. And to pay them peanuts!! Good Luck!

Advice to Management

To late. Execs have made there plan, All is well in the realm of AKKR/SciQuest. There is no open door policy. You lost alot of good, hardworking people, and in the process in losing alot more, just a matter of time. But hey, that bottom line will look good!!!

Nov 14, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

SciQuest has a bright future ahead, and we need great employees to make that happen. We are committed not only to listening to our customers, but also to our employees. If you have concerns you would ... More

"No longer the company I signed up for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had nice and competent people to work with, work life balance and flexible work schedule with one day a week we could work from home.

Cons

Taking care of the employees was never a priority for the previous or the current SciQuest CEO; lack of transparency between company's vision, customers' requirements and development teams; very limited opportunity to grow at SciQuest; hence, the turn over rate has been high.

Accel-KKR acquired SciQuest on 07/28/2016. Two months later, the former CEO took a $2.7+ million package and left, along with the whole executive team. A new "leadership" team appointed by AKKR took over immediately, so did the layoff start.

The new executive team certainly has good records - to AKKR and their investors, as they had successfully flipped the companies for AKKR. For instance, the new CTO never spent more than 2.5 yrs on a company after his own company was acquired by AKKR. Hard to imagine he'll spend more time here in his rental apartment to build teams and products at SciQuest to last.

To the new team, people at SciQuest are merely numbers on their balance sheet. Layoffs started quietly yet all we got from the new CEO was "I am confused by your org chart ... I am confused by your products ... go back to work, and work hard". The culture wasn't great before, but at least it was not insulting.

SciQuest is no longer the company I signed up for. In my opinion, it's just a matter of time before AKKR cut the numbers of employees, or in their mind, the cost, to a level they can maximize their profits, then give a face lift of the current products, and sell SciQuest ASAP. That's a legit business plan for investors, unfortunately, not for employees at SciQuest.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and trust, not a number on your balance sheet or a tool to make you look good in front your investor.

Oct 25, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

We couldn’t agree more that the competent and talented team of employees at SciQuest is one of the key strengths of the company, and we believe it’s why we have a very bright future ahead of us. We ... More