SciQuest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Bonavito

Pros
  • We work very hard but also maintain work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Free sodas, outdoor patio for lunch food trucks, great working environment, work from home days (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, on-call shifts aren't pleasant to family/work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• million package and left, along with the whole executive team (in 8 reviews)

"Not a great place for software engineering"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* Fairly flexible
    * Nice vacation policy
    * A couple really bright people

Cons

* Absolutely toxic culture for such a small company
    * Way too much dead weight in all facets of the company
    * Extremely low morale

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to jettison people that aren't working out / doing work. It really does bring everyone else down to see these people coddled and sometimes even promoted. Long term vision has been non-existent.

"Not as advertised."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary, free soda and coffee, decent benefits package, smart co-workers.

Cons

Too many to list. The culture and morale of this decades-old company at absolute rock bottom and worst I've ever encountered. The recent 2016 acquisition left this place reeling. Negative Glassdoor reviews are spot on.

I've never witnessed corporate blight at this scale post 2008. Droves of empty cubes and long faces. Perpetual atmosphere of aggression, sadness, despair.

Go elsewhere if you are a career coder, developer, or engineer. Company is scrambling to integrate products that might be older than some of you in the workforce. Tremendous knowledge gaps left by previous workforce. Total react.

Steep learning curve to an endlessly complex convoluted infrastructure. Stodgy aloof veterans guard the gates and hold the keys.

Zero work-life balance. Remaining workforce trimmed next-to-nothing. Remaining crew expected to be available on call online 24/7/365. Work from home policy being taken away.

Atrocious management of resources. Non-existent processes. HR won't save you. Get everything in writing.

Bottom line: Bought and sold good ol' boy club. Plenty of fancy BMW's lined up outside, big egos inside.

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. Stay far, far away.

Advice to Management

Nothing wrong with rolling in the dough, milking it for what its worth, but the least you could do is be a little more transparent. Some of us just need a job, and have no problem with taking orders from on high, even if it's just for us to look like we're busy. The least you could do is treat the worker bees with a shred of decency and respect while you're up there riding the wave.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Durham, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solution Competitive work from home

Cons

Not Enterprise ready in the Commercial space Leadership is doesn't show a consistent and strategic business model Lack of direction

Feb 17, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your feedback. You’re correct that our solutions are very competitive in the marketplace. And thanks to the hard work of the commercial team, fully half of our customers are in ... More

5. "On the rise!"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership team in HE market is phenomenal. Experienced, organized, supportive, and really understand what it takes to run a team. New executives have the right vision, and moving the company in the right direction. Making some great changes to help revive the culture.

Cons

401k match, loss of stock options/ESOP, turnover (getting better!), and no annual salary increases in sales (stuck with salary you came in with. I think there should be incentive based increases for performance).

Advice to Management

Continue to make the changes to revive the culture. Show your employees their valuable, and appreciated. Invest in the people, create succession planning (there's a lot of talent here to move up). Continue to invest in our roadmap, customers, and enhancements. We're on the right path, and I believe in our vision.

6. "Stronger communications = better workplace"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SciQuest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exec team is stable; They have gone out of their way to communicate - in a way that was never done before. Roadmaps allow everyone to see where company is going. Monthly updates keep us in the loop on what's going on. There is forward motion and activity. Some people are even staying after five!

Cons

Still no beer on Fridays. One step at a time.

Advice to Management

Keep going - those who appreciate the work will rally, those who don't know where the door is.

"Showing improvement"

I have been working at SciQuest full-time

Pros

The company was gutted from the top down and in the process much (but not all) of the resistance to cultural and technological advancement has also been removed. Most managers at this point at least have a general ballpark idea as to what a successful and employee friendly work environment should be. The benefits are great; its hard to find health insurance this good in this day and age. The holiday schedule, and the PTO sliding scale is better than average.

Cons

It's very easy to find yourself stagnant. Overall there tends to be a lack of passion. The company is healing from over a decade of toxic culture (fear driven, strong silos, scapegoating) so some employees still don't understand how to live in a healthier environment, which adds resistance to advancement. Its hard for people to push past their ingrained mentality of 'if it's not broke don't fix it,' which makes sense when old culture caused fear of being blamed of breaking things. This has historically caused the company to hold onto, and even defend, 2003 technology along with less than optimal workflows. With management pushing to catch up to newer tech its difficult to untangle a mess. You add all this up and what you get today is slow advancement rather than complete stagnation.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to hire young, passionate, new aged, intelligent, out of the box thinkers and doers. You are on the right track moving towards more collaboration and less silos, but don't forget about experimentation.

8. "Looking forward to 2017"

Pros

The company finally has a developement strategy. The engineers are feeling like what they do going forward will matter.

Cons

The company needs to improve the communication channels with the lower levels. Too many times we are guessing what we need to focus on. Past two years has been not pleasant.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and more communication with help us all.

"Finally feeling good about the company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at SciQuest (More than a year)

Pros

After 13 months it felt like riding a roller coaster. Finally, the vibe is positive and future direction of what we are working on is clear.

Cons

Would be nice if we had bagels every morning for breakfast.

Advice to Management

Keep giving us more opportunity to explore new technologies.

"Overall poor feeling about the company."

Former Employee - Solution Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Solution Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at SciQuest full-time

Pros

Great pay, great teammates, challenging work as well. Learning development is okay as well. Diversity of clients is a plus as well.

Cons

Management
    Benefits
    Constant layoffs

I would not recommend anyone to work their. Upper level management is awful. CEO is awful and doesn't connect well with other employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and be transparent. We were told everything would operate as normal during the acquisition and then we over 60 percent of the employees were laid off afterwards(within 4mos).

Dec 1, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

While it’s not true that “over 60 percent of employees were laid off,” we did make changes to better align our workforce with the needs of our customers. We agree that this is a challenging and ... More

"Was a great place to work, but the future looks bleak..."

Pros

Process improvements were helping moral, moving to a more formal Agile Scrum process, Beer Fridays were always nice.

Cons

Change in management is creating a lot of uncertainties, not the same company I signed on with many years ago.

Oct 14, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

There is no denying the uncertainty that inevitably comes from a change in leadership. However, we are extremely energized about the direction our new leaders are taking the company in. We’re going ... More