Science Center of Iowa Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 18, 2017

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Although today will be my fourth day, I already love it here"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Science Center of Iowa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kind staff, great educational atmosphere, organized, good energy flows, discounts, awesome for families and for children to dream about their potential. All of my coworkers are very welcoming of me, a new employee, and understanding of my mistakes—some have gone out of their way to introduce themselves to me. Retail work isn’t what I want to do all my life, but it’s not so bad since I’m at a museum. Plus, there’s an opportunity to work my way up to full-time.

Cons

I have few qualms, even as a blind person. But i wish things were printed larger so that i don’t have to bring in my magnifier and use that to help me. Otherwise, the system is very intuitive, and aside from the visual aspects of my job, i really don’t find many barriers to success (i have some vision but my eyes get strained quickly). Can get busy in the morning and can also get a little when there are lulls in business.

Advice to Management

i haven’t been there for more than 3 days, but thank you for making SCI a great place to grow in

2. "Misuse of your time and sanity"

Former Employee - Educator in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Educator in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Science Center of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, lots of freedom to teach a classroom of children excited to learn the way you want to. Completing fun experiment with robots, technology, and other aspects of science education.

Cons

The stress levels of this job are outrageous. Little help from management.

Advice to Management

Help within the classroom more often. The pay for this job is minuscule considering you can make more babysitting one child.

3. "A positive environment"

I have been working at Science Center of Iowa part-time

Pros

Everyone I've interacted with has be really friendly! Fun social events and job tasks that are very fulfilling.

Cons

No one goes out of their way to really get to know people they don't interact with frequently. There are lots of people who I've seen over my past 10 mo here who I still don't know the names of.

4. "Executive turn-over slows progress"

I have been working at Science Center of Iowa full-time

Pros

Worthwhile providing a great service to the community.

Cons

The leadership turns over frequently, so direction is always changing every two or three years.

5. "Horrible place"

Former Employee - Imax Usher in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Imax Usher in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Science Center of Iowa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love to the kids work in the IMAX as an IMAX Usher kids were always happy and giving me high-fives after the movie.

Cons

Very dirty customers don't know how dirty the place really is.. Rude, fake employees if you want to know the truth go to another science center or the IMAX Altoona Theater with reclining seats which is much nicer

Advice to Management

need to hire more people disabilities and less people without disabilities people with disabilities can do more than what you think listen to people disabilities. I used to work at the science center but I will never come back due to how you treated me.

6. "Company is okay, but upper management in the daycare is cut-throat"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Science Center of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great and bennies are good

Cons

The director and other upper management were a complete nightmare. Weekly staff meetings consisted of the director choosing one employee to completely tear apart. There was nothing constructive about it, it was cruel. The woman is on a power trip and has no idea how to manage people or build a team atmosphere.

Advice to Management

As long as the head of the daycare is so lacking in people skills, good employees and astute parents will not want to be a part of this program.

7. "Mixed...opportunity met with low wages and increased workloads...no acknowledgement of success"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

The mission of the center itself is a reward

Cons

Unstable choice of employer, frequent turnover of senior management

Advice to Management

Become financially stable to sustain the experience, and reward employees with what they deserve in compensation.