Science Recruitment Group Reviews in Manchester, England | Glassdoor

Updated January 11, 2017

Manchester, England (UK)

4.3
Kelly Morton

1. "Great Working Environment (and Commission!)"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is built off putting the Candidates first, and we all live and breath this. This leads to giving a great service to the Clients too, and we have loads of repeat business and some massive clients that use us exclusively.
    WE have multiple offices, and cover the whole of the UK, and we have a really friendly and vibrant atmosphere within. But there is a great Competition within too that leads to some really high billers.
    We have a pretty meritocratic system, and there is really no limit to Salary / Promotion opportunities.
    We have also implemented a "Bright Ideas" system, which means that we are implementing more and more small and medium ideas from within, that benefit the whole business.
    The Bonus scheme is paid quarterly which helps you to save! And it is truly uncapped, and has kickers which makes it very lucrative at the mid-high billings, again driving performance upwards.

Cons

Offices are in Salford Quays, so not City Centre working! But we are moving to Media City, in new offices, with transport to the door, and all of Media City's delights on the doorstep.
    Internal systems have been upgraded, but still only basic, with no bells and whistles! But it sends CVs and Books in Interviews, so isn't holding anyone back!!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the people, and processes, and look to a slightly more aggressive growth plan. We have a great company, and great presence, but we could be even bigger and better!

Science Recruitment Group Response

Jan 13, 2017 – Kelly Morton

Hi thank you for your feedback. I always encourage open and honest feedback and my door is always open if you wish to discuss more. I appreciate you taking the time to review your experience and I ... More

2. "Would I recommend SRG? Absolutely."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A truly brilliant team who are passionate and ambitious, friendly and fun!

There is a large support network available for all members of staff and senior members of the company are open to new ideas, honest and constructive.
    Everyone values hard work, but equally the office is fun and you are rewarded well for your hard work!

A forward thinking company, that has a positive office atmosphere and is continually striving to be better!
    A pleasure and a joy to have worked there!

Cons

Only a few avenues for career progression, so can be limiting when looking to develop personally, long term.

Advice to Management

Continue to live the SRG vision and values because they're great, and so is SRG!

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management, flexibility to manage your own desk, strong commission structure and a relaxed but competitive atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes process and compliance associated with being a part of a larger organization limits progression and potential business.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with the day to day performance and more aware of who's performing well within the business and likewise who is underperforming.

"Don't leave your rec job for this one."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Some nice people. New system to recruit on (which still isn't great).

Cons

Managing director is awful, unintelligent, ineloquent, rude and stuck in the 90's. SRG will grow if she leaves. Has a mantra of: 'if they leave, they're not right'. attitude that results in 35%turnover. Most newbies leave within 12 months, this is at over 50% turnover. Lots of discussion and no action in this company, they speak a good game.
    Comission structure would have been poor 10 years ago, let alone now. Threshold of 25k then only 4% back pay on that?! Rising to pittance. This was recently updated too, apparently a more fitting structure?! One of the worst commission rates I've heard of. Also, only pay out quarterly. They keep the commission quiet when you go for interviews, you need to ask.

Advice to Management

Management, rise up and defrone the MD. Pay a reasonable commission level. Listen to staff, you might sort out your retention.
    Have a balanced senior management team.

Science Recruitment Group Response

Jul 20, 2016 – Kelly Morton

Thank you for your comments about your time with SRG. I realise it’s after the event but I’d still welcome the chance to talk to you about your experiences , so please get in touch at ... More