Science Recruitment Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kelly Morton

1. "Great History, Difficult Future?"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional staff capabilities, Strong client legacy, Wholesome/ trustworthy brand, dedicated and fiercly loyal at middle management

Cons

Don't appreciate staff for their individual strengths and equally struggle to find their weaknesses, trying a 'one-size fits all' approach to management, especially from top down.

SRG have been complacent for too long: about their style, about forthcoming challenges and they run the risk of losing market share to hungrier competitors.

Internal departments/ offices are at war with each other over revenue - this was detrimental to delivering best service on WAY TOO MANY occasions.

Bright ideas from staff turn into empty promises from directors, nothing ever changes

Advice to Management

SRG's strength is scientific knowledge, don't water it down with monotonous processes which stop staff from using their ability to navigate, innovate and thrive in such a technical field.

Better short term incentives to keep low-mid performing staff motivated. Make more emphasis on energy with more short term motivation techniques.

When you promise change, actually make a change. Improvements in working conditions and available resources are always too little too late.

Oct 14, 2016 – Kelly Morton

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience of working for SRG. You have made some very good points about SRG’s market position, staff and management. Defending a ... More

2. "Great Atmosphere"

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time

Pros

The is a lot of Flexibility

Cons

People can be so shallow

3. "Great Working Environment (and Commission!)"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is built off putting the Candidates first, and we all live and breath this. This leads to giving a great service to the Clients too, and we have loads of repeat business and some massive clients that use us exclusively.
    WE have multiple offices, and cover the whole of the UK, and we have a really friendly and vibrant atmosphere within. But there is a great Competition within too that leads to some really high billers.
    We have a pretty meritocratic system, and there is really no limit to Salary / Promotion opportunities.
    We have also implemented a "Bright Ideas" system, which means that we are implementing more and more small and medium ideas from within, that benefit the whole business.
    The Bonus scheme is paid quarterly which helps you to save! And it is truly uncapped, and has kickers which makes it very lucrative at the mid-high billings, again driving performance upwards.

Cons

Offices are in Salford Quays, so not City Centre working! But we are moving to Media City, in new offices, with transport to the door, and all of Media City's delights on the doorstep.
    Internal systems have been upgraded, but still only basic, with no bells and whistles! But it sends CVs and Books in Interviews, so isn't holding anyone back!!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the people, and processes, and look to a slightly more aggressive growth plan. We have a great company, and great presence, but we could be even bigger and better!

Jan 13, 2017 – Kelly Morton

Hi thank you for your feedback. I always encourage open and honest feedback and my door is always open if you wish to discuss more. I appreciate you taking the time to review your experience and I ... More

5. "Recruitment done right."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company, from the MD downwards, has such a focus on the people in the business. This is followed through to clients and candidates.
    You definitely feel you are part of a family rather than a number.

Cons

Can sometimes feel a little overwhelming early on in your career, although support is always there.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to develop a slightly more robust induction process, specific to the science industry and location.

6. "Would I recommend SRG? Absolutely."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A truly brilliant team who are passionate and ambitious, friendly and fun!

There is a large support network available for all members of staff and senior members of the company are open to new ideas, honest and constructive.
    Everyone values hard work, but equally the office is fun and you are rewarded well for your hard work!

A forward thinking company, that has a positive office atmosphere and is continually striving to be better!
    A pleasure and a joy to have worked there!

Cons

Only a few avenues for career progression, so can be limiting when looking to develop personally, long term.

Advice to Management

Continue to live the SRG vision and values because they're great, and so is SRG!

7. "From scientist to science recruiter"

Current Employee - Scientific Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Scientific Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The values of the company are lived by senior management and encouraged from the ground up. This makes for a supportive environment, which can encourage personal growth. The company operates a promised base culture and you need to buy into this. I can imagine that some people do prefer to cut corners, but I like this conscience-based approach. "You do what you say you will". The managers on the whole are very approachable and I have questioned senior managers several times, and have been encouraged to do so. The training is there if you want it, and some of it is compulsory. This is a good thing, and helps you to develop your career. KPIs are obviously there, and targets need to be hit, but that is not the be all and end all. The company will not do anything just to make some money. This sets them apart in some ways from sales-driven, target-driven, anything-for-the-sale culture which is too all consuming in other sales environments. I came from a lab/research based role and I enjoy the fast pace and the challenging nature of recruitment. It is not for everyone! I feel supported and able to work fairly autonomously. You are expected to hit targets and maintain KPIs, but the rewards are there and you can progress. The MD is very approachable and has a clear vision - she wants the best for her company, and I guess she can take it personally when people don't buy into that. SRG want a certain type of person, and staff turnover across the recruitment sector is high in general. I do feel valued and part of a bigger team.

Cons

The bonus scheme is good, but could be better. The huge billers, obviously reap the most rewards, but perhaps the threshold could be lowered. This is ultimately a sales based job, so you need to make money to earn money. That is life.
    I guess training and development, and a clear career path, could be better explained and more transparent about what you exactly have to do to progress.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in the main. The culture is good, and if people don't or can't buy into that, then they are obviously not right for this company.
    Progression and promotion should be more clearly defined, and goals that are reached and conquered, should be recognized and promotion should follow automatically.
    Perhaps the bonus scheme could be modified a little so that the steady earners still enjoy healthy returns.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management, flexibility to manage your own desk, strong commission structure and a relaxed but competitive atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes process and compliance associated with being a part of a larger organization limits progression and potential business.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with the day to day performance and more aware of who's performing well within the business and likewise who is underperforming.

9. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A refreshing Recruitment environment, you are given autonomy and there is clear investment and support in your Learning and Development.

Cons

Sometimes there could be better internal communication.

"Rewarding and fulfilling employment"

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong senior management team led from the front by MD. The visions and values aren't just words, they're displayed throughout the business and are built in to objectives for all, regardless of job level. The focus is on empowering staff to be accountable for their own performance and career. Obviously not everything is perfect all the time, but having faith in the people at the top makes a huge difference and makes SRG the best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

We enjoy the benefits of having hands on Directors in our business. This means that things do happen and positive change is forthcoming. Although we see some benefits from being owned by a larger business, change is sometimes hampered because of this due to having its own approval/ escalation processes.

"Don't leave your rec job for this one."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Some nice people. New system to recruit on (which still isn't great).

Cons

Managing director is awful, unintelligent, ineloquent, rude and stuck in the 90's. SRG will grow if she leaves. Has a mantra of: 'if they leave, they're not right'. attitude that results in 35%turnover. Most newbies leave within 12 months, this is at over 50% turnover. Lots of discussion and no action in this company, they speak a good game.
    Comission structure would have been poor 10 years ago, let alone now. Threshold of 25k then only 4% back pay on that?! Rising to pittance. This was recently updated too, apparently a more fitting structure?! One of the worst commission rates I've heard of. Also, only pay out quarterly. They keep the commission quiet when you go for interviews, you need to ask.

Advice to Management

Management, rise up and defrone the MD. Pay a reasonable commission level. Listen to staff, you might sort out your retention.
    Have a balanced senior management team.

Jul 20, 2016 – Kelly Morton

Thank you for your comments about your time with SRG. I realise it’s after the event but I’d still welcome the chance to talk to you about your experiences , so please get in touch at ... More