Science Recruitment Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Kelly Morton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"non existent management"

Pros

got an interview very quickly

Cons

very poor account management. they never changed my address on the contract and never sent (the promised) information about my bonus and annual review.

"Mixed Feelings"

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good training for new starters with no recruitment experience.

Good reputation within the industry for placing scientists.

My manager was very supportive and genuinely interested in me.

I had very good relationships with my team and most people at consultant level in the company.

Cons

Some of the more experienced consultants speak negatively about the business. They seem to have had bad experiences with senior management or issues with bonuses.

My manager was put under intense pressure when the figures were not what was expected and this created a very bad atmosphere.

Some senior management seem to be very removed from the day to day of recruitment so sometimes seem inflexible or outdated in their approach.

The bonus structure is not very good and it takes new consultants a long time to start seeing the benefit of all their hard work.

Alot of people leave/have left recently which creates a feeling of instability.

Advice to Management

It is quite obvious that some of the overly positive reviews written on this website have been posted by senior management, especially in response to some recent posts. Please let the employees have their say and do not try to create an impression that is not completely accurate or balanced.

"Don't leave your rec job for this one."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Some nice people. New system to recruit on (which still isn't great).

Cons

Managing director is awful, unintelligent, ineloquent, rude and stuck in the 90's. SRG will grow if she leaves. Has a mantra of: 'if they leave, they're not right'. attitude that results in 35%turnover. Most newbies leave within 12 months, this is at over 50% turnover. Lots of discussion and no action in this company, they speak a good game.
    Comission structure would have been poor 10 years ago, let alone now. Threshold of 25k then only 4% back pay on that?! Rising to pittance. This was recently updated too, apparently a more fitting structure?! One of the worst commission rates I've heard of. Also, only pay out quarterly. They keep the commission quiet when you go for interviews, you need to ask.

Advice to Management

Management, rise up and defrone the MD. Pay a reasonable commission level. Listen to staff, you might sort out your retention.
    Have a balanced senior management team.

Science Recruitment Group Response

Jul 20, 2016 – Kelly Morton

Thank you for your comments about your time with SRG. I realise it’s after the event but I’d still welcome the chance to talk to you about your experiences , so please get in touch at... More

4. "Great Atmosphere"

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time

Pros

The is a lot of Flexibility

Cons

People can be so shallow

5. "Great History, Difficult Future?"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Science Recruitment Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional staff capabilities, Strong client legacy, Wholesome/ trustworthy brand, dedicated and fiercly loyal at middle management

Cons

Don't appreciate staff for their individual strengths and equally struggle to find their weaknesses, trying a 'one-size fits all' approach to management, especially from top down.

SRG have been complacent for too long: about their style, about forthcoming challenges and they run the risk of losing market share to hungrier competitors.

Internal departments/ offices are at war with each other over revenue - this was detrimental to delivering best service on WAY TOO MANY occasions.

Bright ideas from staff turn into empty promises from directors, nothing ever changes

Advice to Management

SRG's strength is scientific knowledge, don't water it down with monotonous processes which stop staff from using their ability to navigate, innovate and thrive in such a technical field.

Better short term incentives to keep low-mid performing staff motivated. Make more emphasis on energy with more short term motivation techniques.

When you promise change, actually make a change. Improvements in working conditions and available resources are always too little too late.

Science Recruitment Group Response

Oct 14, 2016 – Kelly Morton

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience of working for SRG. You have made some very good points about SRG’s market position, staff and management. Defending a... More

"Amazing Training"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought as a new starter I would point out something useful to people who are new to the recruitment business. The company is very organised and they takes the staff training very seriously. My manager helped me to book me on my first courses which was great. I really enjoyed every session and it was fun but also I felt I learned a lot and made me more confident, which is essential.

Cons

There are probably always things to be improved. So far my personal experience has been positive.

"Great specialist recruitment agency for scientists."

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time

Pros

Very supportive management if you are willing to put the work in.
    Much more of a consultative agency than others in the industry seem to be.
    Opportunities to train and progress.

Cons

Culture is very different between offices. Generally, the ones in larger cities seem to be a lot more vibrant.

Advice to Management

Usually, the level of support is really good. However, when the numbers are running low, the response seems to be to micro-manage and request constant progress updates, which can be time-consuming and distracts from getting the job done.

8. "From scientist to science recruiter"

Current Employee - Scientific Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Scientific Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The values of the company are lived by senior management and encouraged from the ground up. This makes for a supportive environment, which can encourage personal growth. The company operates a promised base culture and you need to buy into this. I can imagine that some people do prefer to cut corners, but I like this conscience-based approach. "You do what you say you will". The managers on the whole are very approachable and I have questioned senior managers several times, and have been encouraged to do so. The training is there if you want it, and some of it is compulsory. This is a good thing, and helps you to develop your career. KPIs are obviously there, and targets need to be hit, but that is not the be all and end all. The company will not do anything just to make some money. This sets them apart in some ways from sales-driven, target-driven, anything-for-the-sale culture which is too all consuming in other sales environments. I came from a lab/research based role and I enjoy the fast pace and the challenging nature of recruitment. It is not for everyone! I feel supported and able to work fairly autonomously. You are expected to hit targets and maintain KPIs, but the rewards are there and you can progress. The MD is very approachable and has a clear vision - she wants the best for her company, and I guess she can take it personally when people don't buy into that. SRG want a certain type of person, and staff turnover across the recruitment sector is high in general. I do feel valued and part of a bigger team.

Cons

The bonus scheme is good, but could be better. The huge billers, obviously reap the most rewards, but perhaps the threshold could be lowered. This is ultimately a sales based job, so you need to make money to earn money. That is life.
    I guess training and development, and a clear career path, could be better explained and more transparent about what you exactly have to do to progress.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in the main. The culture is good, and if people don't or can't buy into that, then they are obviously not right for this company.
    Progression and promotion should be more clearly defined, and goals that are reached and conquered, should be recognized and promotion should follow automatically.
    Perhaps the bonus scheme could be modified a little so that the steady earners still enjoy healthy returns.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Great recognition scheme
    - Good leaders
    - Good career progression

Cons

- It can be competitive at times

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Science Recruitment Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always help and support when you need it
    Excellent training programme
    Friendly working environment with focus on working hard and getting good results

Cons

Due to being the best in our field there is alot of pressure to stay on top. this can be a pro and a con.
    also when we are not hitting plan for the month or the quarter, as consultants we are more than aware of it, but still managers tend to micromanage more which increases the stress of the team as a whole and does not lend itself to working well.

Advice to Management

when things are not going well, rather than increasing the pressure on te team by giving daily and weekly commitments, try and remain calm and not micromanage. i know that in my team this would decrease the level of stress we all feel immensley. Of course we all realise the importance and implication of hitting and not hitting plan, but increaseing the stress and pressure means we impart this onto the candidtes and clients and sometimes increase the number of fall outs / job losses.