Scotch Plains-Fanwood School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Scotch Plains-Fanwood School District Reviews

4.4
CEO

1. "Substitute Teacher/ Private K-5 Tutor"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Scotch Plains, NJ
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Scotch Plains, NJ

I have been working at Scotch Plains-Fanwood School District part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with students and helping them achieve their goals. I like the fact that everyday is a different adventure.

Cons

Would like a more regular schedule. Most of my work is with short notice.

2. "This job helped me pay off loans and establish my credit."

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Scotch Plains, NJ
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Scotch Plains, NJ

I worked at Scotch Plains-Fanwood School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This was a job close to home, well within walking distance. The people in general were very nice to me, and also supported my other endeavors.

Cons

The opportunities for advancement were not abundant, without a different academic background. Unionized environments can be stressful. Job definition could have been better established.

Advice to Management

Be aware of the work that your staff does and appreciate their assistance. Be mindful of the political climate and aware of the repercussions of actions taken.

3. "Overall Great Place to work"

I worked at Scotch Plains-Fanwood School District full-time

Pros

There are a lot of professional development opportunities and the district and individual schools strive to make a culture where the employees are valued. It depends on which principal you have, but I have found that I have always felt appreciated by administration. The parent community is wonderful as well in addition to the professionalism of most of the teachers I worked with.

Cons

There was not a lot of staff feedback with the type of professional development the staff wanted more of. Surveys were given after PD days of what we wanted to see, but teachers felt that there was little action taken on the provided information.

Advice to Management

Keep making your teachers feel appreciated and valued - stop in to classrooms more often so staff does not feel nervous that check ins are only for observations or some type of disciplinary action for student or a "sneaky" type of observation for the teacher. Also, have new supervisors come to faculty meetings at the beginning of the year to introduce themselves. A new science supervisor came into our school for the first time in May to help with standardized testing - had no idea who she was!

5. "Baseball Coach"

Pros

It is a great area to work in. The commute is easy and the people are friendly. Also, my contract was a fixed rate, so I was able to pocket all of the money without being taxed.

Cons

The job was only for the summer so it was a finite contract. I would go back in a heart beat though!

Advice to Management

The Timeliness of the payments could have been better. I think if the payments were more organized then it would be perfect!