Scottrade Branch Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for employees (in 117 reviews)

• 401k match, weekends off or should I say on parole (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement that I notice, it seems very stagnant (in 30 reviews)

• A glass ceiling exists unless you choose to move to St Louis where the corporate office is located (in 28 reviews)

1. "Branch Intern"

Former Employee - Branch Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Branch Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to markets, time to study for exams, opportunities for trainings

Cons

Limited type of work you can do without having your broker license

Jul 29, 2016 – Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and wish you the best of luck in your future career.

"OK place"

Current Employee - Branch Intern

I have been working at Scottrade part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Great Staff in Branches
    +Good Learning Experience
    +Decent Help

Cons

-No upward mobility (Current Executive management has set ridiculous demands to be even considered a branch manager, but "buddies" from other firms who have no management experience are easily given positions)

Advice to Management

Promote the talent that you have within the company rather than hiring less than capable individuals from other lower wage firms.

Mar 9, 2016 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your feedback. Last year, nearly 17 percent of our associates were promoted, and internal candidates are often considered first for positions available throughout the firm. As an ... More

3. "Branch Intern"

Current Intern - Branch Intern
    Current Intern - Branch Intern

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to learn about the wealth management industry. Compensation is very well for the intern level. Listening to the ICs on the phones all day gives great insight as to how to sell wealth management. Great benefits and bonus incentives when a full-time IC.

Cons

There is a lack of communication between the middle office and the branches in regards to protocol when performing various clerical tasks.

Advice to Management

Stick to a payout structure that is competitive and non-varying. Fix the middle office structure so that paperwork can be processed more effectively.

5. "It's what you make of it."

Former Employee - Branch Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Scottrade part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff at the branch where I was. But just like with any intern position, you have to be careful not to let them overuse you. The depth of learning beyond the basic duties is up to you. You learn to deal with different types of people.

Cons

No regular janitors, so you must do the shredding and take out the trash. Not many opportunities for growth within the area. Must relocate unless you get lucky with an investment consultant opening nearby.

Advice to Management

Make sure the older branch managers are trained well and have the knowledge to do everything the intern is required to do.

Oct 20, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your suggestions and wish you the best of luck in your career.

"Internship"

Current Employee - Branch Intern in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Intern in Orlando, FL

Pros

Learn a lot about the industry.

Cons

Limited room for growth unless you want to be a branch manager.

7. "Great experience interning while in undergrad"

Current Employee - Branch Intern in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Intern in San Diego, CA

Pros

Awesome culture, employees, and environment. Very reputable business model as well.

Cons

Communication from upper management to individual branches.

Advice to Management

Remember that the consultants are the point of contact for clients rather than salesmen.

Feb 9, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thanks for your review. We hope you are finding value at your internship with Scottrade and wish you the best in the future.

8. "Branch Intern-Great experience"

Former Intern - Branch Intern
    Former Intern - Branch Intern

I worked at Scottrade as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The intern program in my time there was very beneficial to my growth as a professional. You certainly learn the best customer service skills you can imagine and the tight knit atmosphere of a small branch helps you acclimate quickly in a steep learning curve setting.

Cons

The main con is that when you run out of training and know everything you can about being an intern, there is not much more room for advancement until you gain your broker license. Additionally, if you do not think you can handle clients who are concerned about their money (as they should be) then this is not the internship for you.

Jan 30, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear your internship was beneficial and wish you success in your future career.

"Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Branch Intern
    Former Employee - Branch Intern

Pros

Great place to learn the brokerage business

Cons

Not much room to advance

Jan 22, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your review and are happy to hear your internship provided you with an opportunity to learn about the financial services industry. We wish you success in your career.

"Overall: good company (intern)"

Current Employee - Branch Intern

Pros

Friendly company and management. As an intern I mainly dealed with who was in my office so I got lucky.
    Handled most of the every day admin work (phones, email, paperwork, etc)
    Very flexible schedule and good pay for an internship ($10/hr)

Cons

The systems are outdated and don't give the offices adequate tools to provide the best service.

Advice to Management

Update the platforms the employees use.

Jan 8, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your comments. We’re pleased to hear that your internship has been enjoyable. We appreciate your suggestions and will share them with the appropriate people.

"The best two years of my college career."

Former Intern - Branch Intern in Littleton, CO
    Former Intern - Branch Intern in Littleton, CO

I worked at Scottrade as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

My financial services aptitude was significantly greater after I left. You can choose your own schedule to accommodate things like sports, and classes. My manager never told me I couldn't go on a summer vacation, or have a day off if I had to travel for lacrosse games. And they actively help you to improve upon customer service. Even though you're just an intern, everyone I worked with made me feel that I was playing a very important role - which you are. I was always invited out for social events (baseball games, dinners, etc).

Cons

Limitations on what you can discuss with clients, even if you're able to deliver correct answers.

Advice to Management

Trust capable interns to handle clients on their own, and involve a licensed employee to get involved when necessary.

Jan 8, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Scottrade. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.