Scottrade Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scottrade Founder, President, and CEO Rodger O. Riney
Rodger O. Riney

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for employees (in 117 reviews)

• 401k match, weekends off or should I say on parole (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for advancement that I notice, it seems very stagnant (in 30 reviews)

• A glass ceiling exists unless you choose to move to St Louis where the corporate office is located (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Rewarding Career"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I honestly and truly believe that we have the best owner, best employees and best clients of any firm. Scottrade is like a family in how they treat their employees and how they treat their customers. Being able to interact with clients on a daily basis allows you to quickly develop long lasting relationships with outstanding people. So many are in need of help with their investments and look to you as a partner as they know that you have their best interests in mind. It is truly enjoyable and rewarding to be able to work at a firm that has so many ways to help clients reach their financial goals. We are not pressured to sell any proprietary products and do not have compensation tied to our investment offerings, i.e., you are not pressured to sell a certain line of investments or ram commission-based load funds down people’s throats. Our managed solutions are fiduciaries that are independent and unbiased. Therefore, you can feel good knowing that you are truly working in the best interest of the client. At the same time, you are able to make a lot of money while putting people in a better place financially. It simply doesn’t get any better.

Cons

No firm is perfect. There certainly are technology issues. However, we now have a SOLID and experienced leadership team in place heading up both brokerage and banking operations. In the very short time they have been on board, improvements have already been made. Additionally, the transition to sales has been difficult for many including myself. I honestly didn’t think I would care for it. However, I found that by simply focusing on helping and educating clients about high fees and conflicts of interest that are so prevalent in our industry, our offerings sold themselves. So many people have been burned by shady advisors that this message resonates with clients and you quickly gain their trust. I am having a blast making more money than I ever imagined possible at Scottrade. My advice for people complaining is to focus on what you can control and the positive impact you can have on people’s lives.

Advice to Management

Rodger is the most honest and decent CEO you will find. He truly cares about his employees and is a big reason I have stuck around here for 16 years. I care not to work for weasels and there are plenty of them in this industry. He has recently brought aboard a great leadership team with outstanding, experienced people. Even better things are on the horizon as we begin to roll out guidance to the branches. Keep up the good work!

Scottrade Response

Jun 22, 2016 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! We appreciate your constructive feedback and hope you continue to find success at Scottrade.

2. "Scottrade offers good pay, good benefits and room for growth."

Current Employee - Stock Broker
    Current Employee - Stock Broker

Pros

Scottrade offers good pay and good benefits. They are known for promoting from within and are always looking to advance their current employees careers.

They have some very unique benefits. They will pay part of a gym membership, match charitable donations up to $10,000 and have many contests throughout the year.

In addition you get generous vacation time starting your first year. Also, Stock Brokers get paid time and half for any time worked over 40 hours.

Cons

One of the biggest downsides is that the offices are small (normally two to four people per office). It can make it more difficult to have time off around the holidays.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Scottrade Intern"

Current Employee - Stockbroker
    Current Employee - Stockbroker

Pros

The environment is very supportive. Customers are not pressured into anything and seem genuinely satisfied. The workplace is very efficient utilizing a great deal of technology. They are clearly an excellent company inside and out. It is easy to work with a company that has a product as good as Scottrade and they take it a step further by providing the service to back it up. Unlike other online discount brokerages, Scottrade has a huge network of branch offices.

Cons

The only downside could be that branches are small, which means that relocation may be necessary for a promotion. The nature of the discount brokerage is not giving specific advice nor interpreting information. This can be difficult for certain personalities because of a tendency to want to help.

Advice to Management

I would like to see ways to earn a larger bonus. I like that it has stayed a private company allowing them to run it the way they want.

5. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Stockbroker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Stockbroker in Chicago, IL

Pros

The fact that almost 25 percent of all intern will return to work full time.

Cons

Can be boring and repetitive at times.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work up

"A solid reputable company!"

Current Employee - HQ Associate
    Current Employee - HQ Associate

Pros

Strong, clear vision of the future. There have never been lay-offs, the benefits are always improving, Rodger and other executives really care about the employees. There is good opportunity for growth in the Home Office and we are encouraged to keep learning. A common thing you will hear is that everyone is 'nice'. The culture is family oriented and people like their colleagues.

Cons

As long as you can keep up with change, this is an awesome company to work for. If you are flexible, not afraid to take initiative, humble and hard working and you will be rewarded for it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for caring and helping to make Scottrade a secure, positive environment to work in.

7. "Scottrade is the best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Financial Office Assistant in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Office Assistant in Naples, FL

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and development
    Understands the importance of work and family balance
    Concerned with our health and overall well being

Cons

Honestly I can't think of any. My experience so far has been excellent and I have had nothing but good interactions with all employees

Advice to Management

Overall I am very satisfied and greatful to be an employee of Scottrade. I cannot say enough about how understanding and caring my manager and the human resources department have been with me having to work while pregnant, during my maternity leave, and now working full time with 2 kids. They truly value the importance of family, which really makes me happy.

8. "great place to work. very family friendly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

Pros

they promote from within whenever possible

Cons

nothing really. Probably pays lower than other investment firms.

Advice to Management

keep promoting from within. It will continue to strength the power of the employees.

9. "Fantastic Internship that launched my career"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

-A terrific internship for someone interested in working in the brokerage/investments field
    -Get a very large amount of experience interacting with clients in person and over the phone
    -Learn the ins and outs of the brokerage industry
    -Work along side licensed brokers
    -Great hands on training from brokers and branch manager
    -They pay very well for an internship
    -A large amount of openings in branch offices across the country
    -Great opportunity for college students

Cons

-The full time salaries offered to employees are not great
    -In a small office with 2-3 other people (you better like who you work with)

Advice to Management

This internship did wonders for my career in financial services. You guys pay a lot of attention to your interns and show them a tremendous amount of respect...bravo!

10. "Scottrade"

Pros

A fast-growing company that is still small enough to provide many opportunities, many of which are yet to come, yet already large enough to provide room to grow laterally. The man at the top, Rodger Riney, is clearly someone who cares.

Cons

Fast growth can mean the promotion of those not yet ready or not well suited for a promotion, and limited resources mean it requires patience and an understanding of prioritizing to wait for changes and improvements.

Advice to Management

Be very careful to ensure that managers are not only leaders but truly care about customers, employees and the firm.

11. "An Amazing Company"

Pros

I love working for Scottrade, they truly foster a family environment and give amazing growth opportunities.

Cons

If you want to grow within the company it will sometimes require relocation which is hard on family, it makes one sometimes feel as though they can't move up the ranks because they don't want to move.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work and great company!

Showing 913 of 1,015 reviews