Scottrade Reviews | Glassdoor

Scottrade Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great Firm; great culture; good work/life balance; great brand name recognition; Midwestern firm (in 132 reviews)

• 401k match, weekends off or should I say on parole (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • This practice also doesn't leave room for advancement because incompetent people get promoted and stay there (in 31 reviews)

• A glass ceiling exists unless you choose to move to St Louis where the corporate office is located (in 28 reviews)

"manager of a private co won't make transition. Burping, Farting and off color jokes won't work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

manager spends most of day at kids daycare , on the phone w/ other managers, leaving early to cut lawn, do house work.recorded line or cell, at lowes or complaining about the company. So demoralizing.

Cons

manager speaks about everyone's personal info including who's on pip who's getting fired, who got retention bonuses bad marriages, i've heard it all.

Advice to Management

fire the guy and set an example as these lazy scottrade lifers have no idea what it's like in the real corporate world

"The best company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is top notch, IT management and upper management is pretty darn good, which is saying alot.

Cons

Technology infrastructure and IT Change Management is just down right painful.

Advice to Management

N/A Scottrade is going to be joining the dust balls of history since TD Ameritrade merger announcement. Such a shame, but not much Rodger can do since it's a private company and he is in failing health. It was great while it lasted, I probably won't ever find another company I liked working for more.

3. "Branch Intern"

Former Employee - Branch Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Branch Intern in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Scottrade part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great learning environment

Cons

Compensation, Minimal benefits, All virtual training

"Misery!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Air conditioning and heat is provided. Weekends off. Tv is on during work hours. Your allowed to take a lunch break

Cons

I am, along with thousands of other employees sitting in misery not knowing my fate. Not knowing if I will have a position with TD or knowing I won't be able to provide for my family anymore. Complete torture!!!! One new lead a day for the entire Branch, yet we still have minimum quotas !!! In the meantime some senior executives will walk away millionaires and some Billionaires. What about the people who helped build this business??? We get a nothing!! Don't have the desire to pick up the phone anymore. They are going to let TD be the bad guys to lay us off and they will walk away looking like they tried to help us

Advice to Management

TD isn't a great company to work for! Instead of allowing the ship to sink you could of turned this company around!!!

"Service Center"

Current Employee - Stock Broker in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Stock Broker in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The "work life balance" is real. The benefits are OK - health/dental/vision insurance, 401K match and profit sharing, and PTO.

Cons

The "micro management culture" is real. Big Brother just arrived and will interrupt follow up to pressure you to get back on the phone. They say it's shaved 3 seconds off average handle time, but how many Associates will it shave off payroll?

Advice to Management

To seal the TDA deal you lowered the bar to get as many warm butts in seats as possible. Treating them like people (not robots) might stop the bleeding.

"Nice and Straight-Forward"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, market holidays, great culture. A lot of industry experience. Once in the company there's a lot of opportunities to move across different departments.

Cons

Pay is lower than average. Sometimes the workload is heavy depending on the time of year. Sometimes the department is very large.

Advice to Management

Maybe walking around the headquarter buildings more.

"Corporation"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative II in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits, including 401k match

Cons

Hard to advance your career. Not enough open communication.

Advice to Management

Be more open and upfront about changes, etc. Need better communication

8. "QA Engineer"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and an overall good place to work.

Cons

Company is being sold and the majority of IT will be out of a job. So it goes in the business world

Advice to Management

Continue to be as open as possible about the sale of the company and what it means for the employees

"Thank You!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I want to start by acknowledging that I realize the associate experience varies, and it is dependent upon factors such as position, location and/or manager. My personal experience as an associate at Scottrade has been very positive. The benefits are abundant/generous, management is fair, you can grow professionally if you work hard and remain flexible when change occurs and the people you get to work with are truly the BEST! I want to thank Rodger for building such a great company, and for doing what is right for clients and associates - then, now and through the transition to TD.

Cons

No real CONS aside from the fact that Scottrade is being acquired. Good or bad, things will be different after the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent and fair.

"Sinking ship! Don't do it!"

Current Employee - Service Center Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Service Center Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent in the service center and PTO is excellent.

Cons

Morale is low on this sinking ship. Pending takeover by TD Ameritrade means very little job security. Brokers are in competition for best asset gatherers, but many are jumping ship. Bank support is toast. Technical support will likely be expected to get a broker's license for a chance to transition after the sale.
    The place is a disaster. Good, caring people on the phones in the inbound call center, but management is hideous. Very disappointed at how they're managing their people when they say they're trying to keep them in their chairs as the due date for TD Ameritrade's purchase draws near. It's a shame. If associates complain about management behavior, or express concern over low morale there's payback in their bi-annual reviews. Just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Treat your people like you value them and want to keep them. Show some appreciation for those sticking around and not bailing as soon as they heard about the buyout from TD Ameritrade. Have extra perks, prizes & food more often to keep up morale while everyone fears layoffs. Department Managers' behavior should be more closely monitered. Associates are experiencing payback in their bi-annual reviews when they complain about management behavior and low morale.

Showing 963 of 1,076 reviews