Scottrade Reviews | Glassdoor

Scottrade Reviews

Updated April 11, 2017

Pros
  • Great work/life balance for employees (in 124 reviews)

• 401k match, weekends off or should I say on parole (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • This practice also doesn't leave room for advancement because incompetent people get promoted and stay there (in 31 reviews)

• A glass ceiling exists unless you choose to move to St Louis where the corporate office is located (in 28 reviews)

"Needs to relate to Millennials better and change management attitudes to keep the younger associates around!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great healthcare, 401k and vacation benefits. The headquarters building in 700 is very nice and has an on-site cafe that is pretty good. Everyone is very nice and it is a pleasant place to come every day. It is great to have such a huge charitable match program. Something is always going on with activities to join and ticket raffles for associates.

Cons

I wish we weren't broken up in 5 (now 6) different buildings on StL! Isn't there a way to get us all closer together? Seems to cause issues and resentment

Not much room for advancement that I notice, it seems very stagnant. Upper management doesn't seem willing to change with the times and move forward in this ever changing industry.

Scottrade needs to cater to the millennials better. I am fairly new and realized quickly that so many people were actively interviewing and looking for new jobs. Openly talking about leaving and how this company is very old-school and is not changing to keep the young associates around.
    No work from home days, no way to listen to background music on the computer, cannot even connect to WiFi on your phone for music (this is just crazy to me!), Blackberry as our work phone seems so old, so many websites are blocked that should not even be questioned, dress is business /business casual every day (why not jeans?), and so much more!

A lot of management should not be in their roles, it seems that some positions were hired as managers because they needed to fill the position. Micro-managing seems to be a trend, which is terrible for associates. Some people are just NOT meant to be managers - and that's ok, but it should be noticed. I have no idea who to talk to about this.

Advice to Management

Listen and change for the young professionals, we are going to be the ones who will keep your company running in the future! (Before everyone leaves!!)

Feb 1, 2016 – Social Recruiting Team

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and share your feedback with us. As a financial services firm, some of the constraints that you mention are due to the regulated industry in which ... More

"Scottrade Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spicewood, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spicewood, TX

I have been working at Scottrade (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, small branches, and people make this a good place to work within the Finance industry.

Cons

I think their website, technology, and back office need to be better. To many representatives want to pass the buck instead of taking ownership.

Advice to Management

Move more toward the 21 century with technology; if you want to play with the big boys, look how the big boys are doing business and try to mimic the way they do business.

Nov 11, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We strive to provide clients with the right tools to meet their financial goals and are continually evaluating technologies to do so.

"Stockbroker - Service Center"

Current Employee - Licensed Broker in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Licensed Broker in Denver, CO

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good amount of vacation time and sick time, consistent scheduling to promote work / life balance, health insurance benefits are pretty good

Cons

taking 60 calls a day for 5 days a week is pure exhaustion, lots of high level conversations if you are licensed but the pay is inadequate in comparison to competitors, overtime is rarely offered, oh - did I mention you take at least 7 calls per hour?? management cares more about sales than they do service, it is a sales-focused role but they will not tell you that

Sep 21, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your review. Although we have introduced new company goals, Scottrade is still committed to providing exceptional customer service in a variety of ways, including through branch, phone ... More

"Decent place to work, but little upward mobility"

Former Employee - Service Center Technician in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Service Center Technician in Westminster, CO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package, good people, nice culture.

Cons

Very little upward mobility. Herded like cattle in the Service Center. All too eager to take disciplinary action.

"Very knowledgeable workplace"

Former Employee - Middle Office Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Middle Office Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly staff and a strong team. Home atmosphere.

Cons

Huge workload, very difficult to keep up.

7. "good company to start out"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Phil, KY
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Phil, KY

I have been working at Scottrade full-time

Pros

Decent company to start your career as a series 7 licensed consultant

Cons

not much room to grow

Advice to Management

mngment is doing a good job

Sep 24, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for your review. We suggest speaking with your manager to identify additional opportunities and discuss your career path at Scottrade. Internal candidates are often considered first for ... More

"Not Bad, Not Good.. Just Middle of the Road."

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

-Top Notch benefits
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Great 401k Match
    -Small company feel
    -Tre

Cons

-Currently unrealistic sales metrics that have a one size fits all model. Regardless if you are in a small office or a large office or your zip code is 90210 or 39201. Employees seem to be only as good as their last guidance close or asset gathering deposit.
    -Job Security if you have two bad production quarters. Performance plans are being issued regularly.
    -JD Power Awards are a thing of the past. Sales dominated culture has no room for Customer Service.
    -There is a big Wolf-pack of TD Ameritrade guys running the show in St. Louis now. It feels like a TD Coup is almost eminent.
    -Not much in the way of career advancement past Branch Manager.

Advice to Management

-Lets brake down the branch network to a more manageable level with bigger areas to prospect for the elite sales force we have this will make bigger bonus for those employees and will bring in better talent... 500 branches..Seriously?
    -Lets have a Flagship office in each region where the DVP and Regionals work out of so they can visit the offices they manage more frequently, this would also make career advancement seem more realistic for employees who can't relocate to St.Louis.
    -Lets stop being a follower and start being a leader..which company out there is specifically looking for the word 'Scottrade' on someones resume to hire that person, nobody is. Lets change that someday. It would be cool if there was a company(s) out there looking just to hire Scottrade guys.
    Q. Why are our Stockbrokers called Investment Consultants when they are not Series 66 licensed? Investment Consultants really can't do much other then show stock screeners, reset passwords and ask 'Where is your money outside of Scottrade?'

Jul 9, 2015 – Social Recruiting Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your perspective and can understand some of your frustrations. We have passed along your feedback and suggestions to the appropriate ... More

"Good place to start."

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Tampa, FL

Pros

Good job security. Work with good people.

Cons

Leadership is clueless and promotions are non existent.

10. "Getting closer..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Scottrade (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Client focused
    True work-life balance
    Great training program

Cons

Limited on promotion opportunities
    Branch partners within company struggle managing work load

"IC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. good benefits.

Cons

Going through corporate reorg, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Advice to Management

Listen to people in the field, they actually know what they're saying.

Showing 214 of 1,049 reviews