Scotts Miracle-Gro Reviews | Glassdoor

Scotts Miracle-Gro Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Hagedorn
Jim Hagedorn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Can work very long hours during busy season (in 18 reviews)

• Constantly reducing staff, over-extension of remaining employees, poor corporate leadership, very bad company culture and work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Only Mexicans survive"

Former Employee - Mechanic in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Temecula, CA

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed to get screwed AND a very nasty employee environment . People are promoted by snitching.

Cons

Mean people, liars and cheats. Will write you up without cause or reason. Everyone is a snatch and here White People

Advice to Management

They are RACISTS, they lie about everything and will cut your throat without a moments notice. Nasty mechanics that full of hate

"Residential Sales"

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time

Pros

You get to work outside

Cons

The management is terrible. They are scummy and do not care about their clients or their employees only making a profit.

3. "Sales Manager"

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time

Pros

Above average Health Care, Company Match 401K to 6%,

Cons

Very stressful atmosphere. You literally run like a chicken with your head cut-off. You will average 55+ hour weeks for very weak salary compared to other Sales Manager positions with other company's. RVP has very unrealistic expectations. Most of your direct managers are puppets for the very fake and unethical RVP. Field Sales Team members are made to feel expendable. Field Sales Team moral is terrible and quite the ongoing joke. Opinions are not valued and there is truly not much room for advancement in this role. Bonus structure would be okay if not for the carrot is always just out of reach of eating. Typically you will not get your yearly incentive plan until at least 3-4 months into the year. That alone kind of speaks to the why the carrot is dangled always just out of reach. Sad truth to an American company that has been around over 150 years!

Advice to Management

Take a deep look at top leadership, specifically in the South!

"Bentonville"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time

Pros

The pay was descent. Don't expect much in the way of raises.

Cons

High turn over in Bentonville office. Not worth the risk unless you're able to dig yourself out from under the bus. Good about giving above target evals and then making up stuff to find wrong later. There is a lot of turn over in that office. I was already looking employment and found another job before they laid other people off last month.

Advice to Management

They don't focus on any training or helping employees out in the office. It's dog eat dog. And some those dogs in sales aren't the least bit afraid to lie. I want to say there were at least 12 people in under 3 years that left. About 16-20 people in office.

"Its a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granbury, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granbury, TX

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays the bills and thats really it

Cons

Just about everthing and you absolutely will not get a pay increase or hired on within 3 months if you are temp to hire

Advice to Management

They already know everything and cant receive advice

"Can't Recommend this Company"

Former Employee - Director in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits: affordable health/dental insurance, on-site fitness and medical services, 401K match, early release on most Fridays throughout the summer and before holiday weekends.

Cons

Management is dysfunctional. Strategic direction changes frequently, creating a chaotic environment and wasted resources. High levels of churn through associates quitting from frustration or being terminated, creating lack of continuity and loss of knowledge. Overall atmosphere of anxiety and fear of losing one's job. Also a "good old boy" sexist/racist environment. Great products, so it is very unfortunate that the company is so poorly managed and the environment is so toxic.

Advice to Management

A thorough housecleaning at the top is in order but will most likely never happen.

"Sink or Swim, No decent training."

Former Employee - Analyst in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent perks such as summer hours, days off for participating in certain events, decent medical benefits.

Cons

I went through a series of interviews, answered all their questions and got the job. Got into the position and it was not what they had described at all. It was sink or swim at all costs. Was verbally abused by a team lead who was supposed to be training but instead would sneak off to "meetings", emails went unanswered, meetings set up he either didn't show up to or canceled them because something more important came up. If he did show for a meeting, it was basically a waste of time, I was told to figure it out. Meanwhile, the manager over the department had no clue what his team's job even meant and relied on the lead for support and feedback. The same person that pawned me off to online courses for my training instead of hands on training. HR of coursed backed up the manager. I was totally set up to fail. Everythinh was my fault and they were never willing to work with me prior to putting me on a PIP. It was unfair and a waste of my time. Good old boys for sure at scotts. Instead of putting in the time to train, I was left on my own and set up for failure.

Advice to Management

Ask questions in the interview that pertain to the job. Hire managers that know what they're managing. Stop allowing leads to run the show and be accountable.

"Maybe just my department..."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro as a contractor

Pros

Lovely building, nice people, good food in the cafe.

Cons

Marketing department / Art department is where I'm contracting and it's not well organized. In fact, I'd venture to say it's the worst corporate in-house marketing team setup I've ever seen and I've been in the industry for over a decade. IT takes 2-5 months to get to IT requests, and the server and file organization is a mess.

Advice to Management

Hire new marketing management.

9. "Avoid at all cost unless you JUST want side money"

Current Contractor - Retail Merchandiser in Tucson, AZ
    Current Contractor - Retail Merchandiser in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers, new and exciting work environments working out of Home Depots and Lowe's stores, job is pretty straight forward and can help build sales experience, interacting with store personnel can be both interesting and challenging, but overall its a good experience, and you get to build creative displays. The base pay is pretty solid with a $12 per hour start pay (more based on merch experience).

Cons

Most employees are seasonal (meaning you work from Jan to mid-June in AZ), mid-management is mostly horrible and incompetent with rare exceptions sometimes, district-level management is incompetent at taking care of labor force, and corporate management is callous and indirect in its dealings with labor force. The company is based off of ass-kissing, a good old boys mentality, and back-stabbing as promotions are almost non-existent within the company. There is a anti-merit mentality throughout the company with numerous examples of hard-working merchs with 10 plus years still being strung along for the mythical promotion. All levels of management are involved in the practice of cutting merch hours to fatten their own yearly bonuses by reducing labor cost towards the end of season. Corporate customers Depot and Lowe's consistently plot against the company due to corporate incompetence leading to negative impacts on the labor force in terms of hours for working. Over the last 5-7 years the company has slowly scaled back the few economic benefits that came with the job when I first started working for them. District Managers are known to collude to rig the promotions process for their favorite ass-kissers, regardless of experience for the promotion. Do yourself a favor and avoid the headache and nightmare of merchandising at the Scotts Company they ONLY CARE ABOUT CORPORATE PROFITS. In my own personal experience of back-stabbing, which is so pervasive that a low-level worker used his friendship with a mid-level manager to cost me my job, then worked for 6 months to undermine and get his incompetent sales manager fired so the district manager (who got close to the back-stabber) rigged the promotions process in his favor over more qualified people both in and out of the district.

Advice to Management

End the pervasive greed that runs rampant throughout all levels of management. Direct more money towards labor force to give people a chance to earn a decent living for more than just 6 months out of the year. Institute a merit-based system for promotions that is taken out of the hands of district-level management. Create an environmental penalties fund to account for mistakes in the R&D dept for products that have adverse effects, so that the corporate office doesn't have to mass lay-off the VAST MAJORITY labor force to get the money for the fix.

10. "This job was the worst Worked all the time with barely any time off because t th ey do not allow it"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you can stand to work here the employee discount is pretty great I guess and alot of your coworkers are great to work

Cons

You never I mean never have time off if you work here and trying to vacation time is a hassle so.