Scotts Miracle-Gro Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 8, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scotts Miracle-Gro Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Hagedorn
Jim Hagedorn

Pros
  • The company has really good benefits (in 24 reviews)

• The company has great benefits if you work at the Marysville campus: (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations but loyalty and long hours are not appreciated or rewarded (in 17 reviews)

• Constantly reducing staff, over-extension of remaining employees, poor corporate leadership, very bad company culture and work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, good products, good marketing, good corporate structure. Brand leaders in almost all categories. Roundup is a destination item that has just been made more confusing.

Cons

Micromanage too much. Roundup has just added confusion to their product by adding a weed only killer to the line. Customers think of Roundup as a grass and weed killer.

Advice to Management

Let your horses run

"It's OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun events and time off. Great co-workers. Nice campus

Cons

Finger pointing. More time spent root causing issues (several times) than focusing on improvements in the future to avoid issues. No one takes responsibility to meet deadlines so every project is behind every time. Tough for manufacturing. Make poor decisions in supply chain about purchasing. Like choosing vendors that can't keep up with supply demands. Their solution is start building a year in advance. No thought to what changes might come, just move the herd blindly toward a number.

Advice to Management

The intangibles are great but it's not worth it to work here in such an ugly culture. Manager's play favorites. I've seen great people let go that were trying to make improvements and we keep, or worse promote, totally apathetic people. The turnover seems so high. I've seen marketing and brand come and go several times.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Merchandiser and Counselor in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Merchandiser and Counselor in Portland, ME

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job offers a flexible schedule and decent pay. I would recommend the job for someone looking to pick up hours on the side.

Cons

Requires a lot of commuting to different stores. Even though you are compensated per mile, it is low.

5. "Bad upper management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, WA

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, real good safety program.

Cons

Bad upper Management, not connected to each of the locations.

Advice to Management

Get a clue as to what is really going on at each location

6. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in Consumer Services and also temped in the corporate office. The company has great benefits if you work at the Marysville campus:
    -amazing and very cheap fitness center/classes
    -good cafeteria, free coffee/tea all day
    -good 401k
    -Christmas party with free booze if that's your thing
    -my managers were very good, training was good
    -best coworkers I've ever had in the call center

Cons

Was very much looked down on as a call center employee.
    Eventually laid off because they outsourced the call center despite the test-run of half-outsourcing being an absolute unadulterated disaster.

"seasonal merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Seasonal Merchandiser in Florissant, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Seasonal Merchandiser in Florissant, MO

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a seasonal merchandiser for Scott's Miracle-Gro taking shipments received at Home Depot & Lowe's locations and building displays, signing, replenishing stock in home locations on the shelves, maintaining & rebuilding displays as needed, monitoring & reporting inventory levels to area manager. Work activity can be very physical requiring you to be able to climb ladders to lift cases from top stock with weights of 50lbs or greater, ability to use a manual hand jack to move pallets of chemicals, soil and mulch. Soil & mulch can be a strenuous task when product is wet and often it's a two person job for safety reasons. If you're not in reasonable good physical shape, this job isn't for you. On the otherhand, the physical requirements can help you to tone up and lose weight, which is what I did and lost about 20lbs. Season begins late December & in early January & ends mid June to the beginning of July with hours averaging 30-40hrs weekly. Pay is suitable to work perfomed but could be higher due to the physical demand. Safety is stressed and they have an excellent on-going training program with on-line computer courses required that are paid. Co-workers have been great to work with. Drug screening is a requirement which again provides a good working atmosphere.

Cons

Area manager has high expectations and will often visit your location to make last minute merchandising changes , which may be frustrating for some, especially when you think your day is almost over. To me it's understandable why he wants to make the merchandising changes since he is driving sales. There can be exposure to high heat & humidity in the St. Louis area as well as very cold and rainy conditions when working in the outside garden area is required; again you need to be in reasonably good shape. There is also exposure to breathing the dust from fertilizers, insecticides and chemicals although minimal. After completion of your application on line, the recruiter will call you and ask you questions that you had answered on the application. To me it was a redundant & a waste of time unless it was needed to determine the ability to communicate effectively.

Advice to Management

None really. The area manager is driven to promote sales of Scott's Miracle-Gro & Ortho products and someone you want leading your team. Since this was my first season, I was able to learn my area manager expectations and were able to meet or exceed them. Since this was only a seasonal position, the income was a bonus and the position was something to keep me active. If there is an increase in my hourly rate, I may return next season. Us older retired veterans of retail bring a lot of experience and knowledge in merchandising & promoting products. Recruiters may not want to dismiss age and look at the growing number of seniors that are looking for additonal income, if needed, and do face to face interviews to determine physical appearance, personality, body language & ability to communicate. I was able to meet my area manager in a face to face interview and was offered the job whcih I accepted.

"DMM review"

Current Employee - District Market Manager in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - District Market Manager in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time

Pros

Travel to accounts, sell and build relationships, lead your people.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations can't be accomplished with untrained Seasonal labor.

Advice to Management

We need to evaluate the seasonal recruiting and training process of merchandisers and counsellors. The current structure does not work given the low pay (of merchandisers), seasonality, higher store counts, breadth of product lines and increasingly higher expectations put on sales managers.

9. "Lawn tech"

Current Employee - Lawn Tech in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lawn Tech in Orlando, FL

Pros

Good pay hours are good

Cons

Over time sucks if you don't get direct deposit you wait forever to get paid

Advice to Management

Don't make your guys work over time if your not going to make the pay worth it

"Stressful company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barrington, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barrington, RI

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro (More than 10 years)

Pros

fun field to work in

Cons

management is too intense
    not a company to value family time

"Has its pros and cons..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and vendors to work with (at the level of the people who get things done), quality brands, beautiful grounds, nice benefits and a mostly free health/fitness center.

Cons

Frequent changes of upper management, as soon as everyone learns how to work with the new leaders, everything changes again. Frequent re-organizing and lay-offs at lower levels create chaos and a fear based culture as you never know when you will be next. High expectations but loyalty and long hours are not appreciated or rewarded. Review process was a complex mystery.

Advice to Management

Respect the great, loyal people you have making things happen and don't just escort them out the door at the whim of a VP.