Scotts Miracle-Gro Reviews | Glassdoor

Scotts Miracle-Gro Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The company has really good benefits (in 24 reviews)

• The company has great benefits if you work at the Marysville campus: (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations but loyalty and long hours are not appreciated or rewarded (in 17 reviews)

• Constantly reducing staff, over-extension of remaining employees, poor corporate leadership, very bad company culture and work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Seasonal Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Springfield, VA

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Less than a year)

Pros

Really a well run company with clear goals and help if you need it, and no help if you don't.

Cons

The fact that this was a seasonal job. I'd like to work part-time for them year-round.

Advice to Management

Except for your JET jobs, do hire older people. We have drive and want to make things perfect for you. We've spent out lives in the workplace and it's hard for us to quit.

2. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in Consumer Services and also temped in the corporate office. The company has great benefits if you work at the Marysville campus:
    -amazing and very cheap fitness center/classes
    -good cafeteria, free coffee/tea all day
    -good 401k
    -Christmas party with free booze if that's your thing
    -my managers were very good, training was good
    -best coworkers I've ever had in the call center

Cons

Was very much looked down on as a call center employee.
    Eventually laid off because they outsourced the call center despite the test-run of half-outsourcing being an absolute unadulterated disaster.

"seasonal merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Seasonal Merchandiser in Florissant, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Seasonal Merchandiser in Florissant, MO

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a seasonal merchandiser for Scott's Miracle-Gro taking shipments received at Home Depot & Lowe's locations and building displays, signing, replenishing stock in home locations on the shelves, maintaining & rebuilding displays as needed, monitoring & reporting inventory levels to area manager. Work activity can be very physical requiring you to be able to climb ladders to lift cases from top stock with weights of 50lbs or greater, ability to use a manual hand jack to move pallets of chemicals, soil and mulch. Soil & mulch can be a strenuous task when product is wet and often it's a two person job for safety reasons. If you're not in reasonable good physical shape, this job isn't for you. On the otherhand, the physical requirements can help you to tone up and lose weight, which is what I did and lost about 20lbs. Season begins late December & in early January & ends mid June to the beginning of July with hours averaging 30-40hrs weekly. Pay is suitable to work perfomed but could be higher due to the physical demand. Safety is stressed and they have an excellent on-going training program with on-line computer courses required that are paid. Co-workers have been great to work with. Drug screening is a requirement which again provides a good working atmosphere.

Cons

Area manager has high expectations and will often visit your location to make last minute merchandising changes , which may be frustrating for some, especially when you think your day is almost over. To me it's understandable why he wants to make the merchandising changes since he is driving sales. There can be exposure to high heat & humidity in the St. Louis area as well as very cold and rainy conditions when working in the outside garden area is required; again you need to be in reasonably good shape. There is also exposure to breathing the dust from fertilizers, insecticides and chemicals although minimal. After completion of your application on line, the recruiter will call you and ask you questions that you had answered on the application. To me it was a redundant & a waste of time unless it was needed to determine the ability to communicate effectively.

Advice to Management

None really. The area manager is driven to promote sales of Scott's Miracle-Gro & Ortho products and someone you want leading your team. Since this was my first season, I was able to learn my area manager expectations and were able to meet or exceed them. Since this was only a seasonal position, the income was a bonus and the position was something to keep me active. If there is an increase in my hourly rate, I may return next season. Us older retired veterans of retail bring a lot of experience and knowledge in merchandising & promoting products. Recruiters may not want to dismiss age and look at the growing number of seniors that are looking for additonal income, if needed, and do face to face interviews to determine physical appearance, personality, body language & ability to communicate. I was able to meet my area manager in a face to face interview and was offered the job whcih I accepted.

5. "Not much to say"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser and Counselor in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser and Counselor in Carmel, IN

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro (More than a year)

Pros

Entry level experience was okay but left me wanting a challenge

Cons

No potential for growth or future development

"DMM review"

Current Employee - District Market Manager in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - District Market Manager in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time

Pros

Travel to accounts, sell and build relationships, lead your people.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations can't be accomplished with untrained Seasonal labor.

Advice to Management

We need to evaluate the seasonal recruiting and training process of merchandisers and counsellors. The current structure does not work given the low pay (of merchandisers), seasonality, higher store counts, breadth of product lines and increasingly higher expectations put on sales managers.

7. "Lawn tech"

Current Employee - Lawn Tech in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lawn Tech in Orlando, FL

Pros

Good pay hours are good

Cons

Over time sucks if you don't get direct deposit you wait forever to get paid

Advice to Management

Don't make your guys work over time if your not going to make the pay worth it

"Sink or Swim, No decent training."

Former Employee - Analyst in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent perks such as summer hours, days off for participating in certain events, decent medical benefits.

Cons

I went through a series of interviews, answered all their questions and got the job. Got into the position and it was not what they had described at all. It was sink or swim at all costs. Was verbally abused by a team lead who was supposed to be training but instead would sneak off to "meetings", emails went unanswered, meetings set up he either didn't show up to or canceled them because something more important came up. If he did show for a meeting, it was basically a waste of time, I was told to figure it out. Meanwhile, the manager over the department had no clue what his team's job even meant and relied on the lead for support and feedback. The same person that pawned me off to online courses for my training instead of hands on training. HR of coursed backed up the manager. I was totally set up to fail. Everythinh was my fault and they were never willing to work with me prior to putting me on a PIP. It was unfair and a waste of my time. Good old boys for sure at scotts. Instead of putting in the time to train, I was left on my own and set up for failure.

Advice to Management

Ask questions in the interview that pertain to the job. Hire managers that know what they're managing. Stop allowing leads to run the show and be accountable.

"Work can get dirty sometimes but the great pay makes up for it. I couldn't ask for a better job while still in college."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Boston, MA

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, flexible schedule, Can be working alone, for me a huge pro was the fact that I could walk to work which I was very thankful for

Cons

Can get dirty, hours may not be consistent, sometimes the people at Home Depot aren't the most cooperative, bird and rat droppings

Advice to Management

More product training so I know what I am talking about when customers have questions

"Stressful company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barrington, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barrington, RI

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro (More than 10 years)

Pros

fun field to work in

Cons

management is too intense
    not a company to value family time

11. "Sales Job"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are you own boss, make your own hours, decide what happens in your territory, manage a team, company car, good benefits, large bonus incentive, annual business trip to a new place in the united states

Cons

Long hours in the spring, little job satisfaction, uncompetitive base salary, little recognition from leadership team, you're only as good as your last sale, little room for advancement unless you're in corporate

Advice to Management

Hire within the company