Scoular Company Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

"Not a modern business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many locations nationwide, competitive salaries.

Cons

Computer systems, customer information systems, accounting programs are out of date. It's hard to give customers the information they need when merchants and accountants are looking at a black DOS screen with neon green data. HR, safety and operations don't have written policies so you have to ask someone how to handle almost every issue. Promotions are given as "appointments" by upper management based on who you know, not based on experience or education. Very lacking in diversity. Not a single black or female or ex military manager, I've seen women start at the entry level forced to put up with locker room language or leave.

Advice to Management

Put leaders in position to bring the company up to speed in technology, customer management, and administration.

"Not a Great Place for Women"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Nice Office
    Competitive pay - but it is still not enough to retain employees

Cons

Old boys' club
    Chauvanistic comments and behavior accepted as part of work culture
    Ethically questionable business practices

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat women in the work place with respect

Scoular Company Response

Oct 21, 2016 – VP, Talent & Human Resources

I am disappointed to hear this was your experience. This is certainly not what we would want. We have many very talented women working in our Company and are always looking for more. We want a work ... More

"Going downhill fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scoular had decent benefits - unlimited sick time, good 401(k) match, and tries to start you out at a good salary with incentives

Cons

The company is going downhill faster than I ever thought possible. Got duped by wire fraud, had traders losing insane amounts of money, and can't keep up with the market.
    Not a lot of room for growth unless you're in a Merchandiser role.
    Middle management has no idea what they're doing. People are given subordinates to manage because it's the "next step" for their career, but they aren't trained at all

Advice to Management

Hire a new CEO, train your middle management, figure out how to actually run your business without running it into the ground. Spend time developing staff that aren't in Merchandising roles.

"Very Sexist - A man's world"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits package

Cons

Very few women in management.....
    Sexist - Just look at the last Preparing For the Future Document and notice all are men except one woman. The men are all directors, Sr. Directors, VPs, Etc., and the woman is an assistant controller. .
    Look at the other upper management positions.... ALL MEN as far as I can tell.

Advice to Management

If you're going to demand upper level work and responsibilities out of specific people then promote them through title and compensation. Do you know how ridiculous the Preparing for the Future document looks, especially to women. It seems you promote men to positions they lack experience in, based on tenure.

"Grain drain"

Current Employee - Labor in North Platte, NE
    Current Employee - Labor in North Platte, NE

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours avaliable, rank and file are friendly, flexibility for time off if needed, sensitive to your needs.

Cons

Hours are long, no set schedule, no set work site, no mileage pay, you have to stay on them for basics like benefits, work sites can be very remote, limited training, terrible communication, limited training about health risks, no accountability, low low pay.

Advice to Management

Train better, work to retain quality employees, pay a livable wage and folks will make it a career, be upfront about health risks.

"Toxic Toxic Toxic"

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of many positive notes to talk about in this section. My coworkers were pleasent and fun to work with. I am still friends with them to this day.

Cons

There was an article in the StarTribune recently about toxic work environments and I immediately thought of my experience at Scoular Co. My managers were not nice people. Their mistakes would be blamed on the lower level employees.

Advice to Management

New management is needed at the mid level. I was just disgusted by the lack of professionalism that I saw at this location.

"Oppressive and Rigid"

Current Contractor - International Document Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - International Document Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, skyway, and occasional free food. Some of the people are friendly.

Cons

The department I was in was very oppressive. My manager would not let anyone listen to music all day (even headphones), even though it was quiet all day, with an occasional phone ringing. You got in trouble if you checked your cell phone. Most of the people in the department were contractors. They gave all contractors very little training, giving us the minimum amount of training necessary so that we could help them with their work. The manager played favorites with those employees that had been in the department for a while. Contractors were treated like second class citizens. Direct employees were reimbursed for bus fare and/or parking, but contractors just had to absorb the cost of working in downtown.

Advice to Management

Don't treat contractors like second class citizens. Give people more training. Don't hire so many people if you don't have enough work to go around.

"Avoid this disaster!"

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has been in business for a long time, during which, it has established some big customers. This may lead to some long term employment, as least, while looking for a more career focused job.

Cons

No loyalty, high/fast turnover, low pay for the description/expectations, parking is an issue/endever, poor management, outdated systems, poor organization... I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

You guys must have a huge number of unemployment claims against you. Something has to be done about trying to keep employees happy and with the company. Oy!

"The company events are fun, but that's about it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

-There are fun company outing throughout the year. The food and drink are on the company's dime.
    -There are a few genuinely nice people that are welcoming and caring.

Cons

-As others have mentioned, there is a high turnover rate.
    -The overall feel in the company (esp. among non-managerial employees) is that people are always looking to get out and leave the company for something better.

-It's not a good place for recent graduates looking to start their career, unless you want to be commodities trader. There aren't a lot of opportunities to move to new positions within the company. They like to say they hire from within, but rarely do.

-Management never seems to listen to the needs of their employees. For examples: management cares more about all the office chairs matching than employee comfort.
    -Most people, especially managers, don't take criticism well and hold things over their employees' heads after issues come up
    -Most managers don't have any sense of what their people actually do, and most are completely dependent on these people to do even the most basic tasks. This causes a lot of people to work long hours and resent management.

-Communication is poor at best. People are not considerate when passing long information, which causes a lot of problems and things to fall through the cracks.

-A lot of old school ways of thought. They are not open to or willing to change/adapt to changing time

-HR is not welcoming once you are hired. I did not feel comfortable going to anyone with issues or problem I had with other employees. They are also very bad at handling timely issues in regards to medical needs and benefits.

Advice to Management

Your priorities are in the wrong places. There is a reason research shows happy employees do better work. Maybe you should concentrate on treating your employees better.

"I had a terrible experience with Scoular Company :("

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was nice to have a job with benefits. Work place was clean with many teas, coffees and headache medicines avaialble.

Cons

The work environment is hostile and a lot of blame gets passed down from upper management to the lower level guys. I also felt that my superior was out of line on many ocassions. The turn-over-rate may simply be high in this field of work, but it was quite high at this company. I witnessed people come and go in a matter of months.

Advice to Management

You guys need to work on retaining employees and treating them better.