Scoular Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Better Opportunities"

Former Employee - Production, Inventory and Transportation in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Production, Inventory and Transportation in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company is a good option if you are new to the industry and/ or are perhaps new to office environments.

Cons

Downtown location with high parking costs and limited parking options. Note that Scoular does offer a parking reimbursement at $160 per month though it is significantly below the Federal standard of $255, which most companies are now offering.

No bonus options. In the past, Scoular did offer yearly bonuses, however in 2016, did not due to losses, which, was largely due to an invoicing scam and lack of employee education.

Lack of internal training and education opportunities.
    Scoular functions on a sink or swim mentality. There are zero educational opportunities unless pursued independently. The company I currently work for requires 56 hours of training a year for all employees, paid for by the company. Scoular does not take training seriously, especially for an industry that is ever changing.

Inconsistencies. Scoular does not have company wide policies. Each business unit functions independently, which creates an inconsistent working environment for both employees and customers.

Low pay scales. I realized while job seeking that all employers in this field were offering at least 10k more than Scoular for the same job functions/ titles.

Lack of open door policy and HR conflicts of interest. I found that good faith complaints with HR were not handled professionally. My manager did not have an open door policy and this ensured that unprofessional behavior persevered. HR, had no policy for good faith complaints or the ability to deal with them. In addition, confidentiality is a invasive problem with managers/ HR at this company.

Health benefits are mediocre. All companies I interviewed with upon leaving Scoular offered better health benefits or fully covered options where the company paid full premiums.

Hard workers are not recognized. Unfortunately, internal relationships dictate promotion. There isn't a standard or policy for progression or promotion.

Advice to Management

Education is key. Create education incentives in the form of quarterly bonus based on traceable merit.

Re-work the internal Scoular mentality by creating standards that apply to all employees, managers and workers alike.

Financials. Include all employees on the financial success of the company and their their groups. Perhaps in the form of a monthly meeting where successes and working points can be discussed.

"Not so good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company (More than a year)

Pros

Management is willing to work with the employee for flexible scheduling as needed - though not on a static basis. There were a lot of available resources to learn skills and industry knowledge. The team I worked with was hands down the best I've ever been privileged to be part of. Acceptance of who you are and the skills you bring was high. I didn't feel as though I was micromanaged. It's a fun group, they do a lot of outside of work activities, a very inclusive environment if you are into sports. They also support many good charitable organizations and encourage the entire office to participate.

Cons

Unreasonably high expectations, when mistakes are made they get blown out of proportion.. Employees don't report the discrimination suffered for fear of retaliation. The workloads are not balanced well, poor decisions in this regard favoring men over women. It is a high stress job. Management is unreliable in their expectations - frequently changing gears which often puts the employee straight in the path of being their scape goat. Too much finger pointing, no one wants to accept accountability for their own actions or decisions - always looking to blame someone else for the situation.

Advice to Management

Be reliable. When you give an employee direction on your expectations, don't change your mind or tell them something different a few days later. Management style should not be a roller coaster ride for the employee. Stay true to your word when you make a promise - pie crust promises (easily made, easily broken) is very poor form and makes the work environment much less secure. Your employees are always having to watch their back for the knife you're about to put in it - stop throwing them under the bus when mistakes occur. Give more positive feedback to your employees and less non-constructive criticism.

"Good if you love the industry"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good management, leadership opportunity, great benefits

Cons

work-life balance, demanding, forced to move

Advice to Management

Understand long-term growth demands more than acquisitions

"Not what it says on the label. Lots of promises not delivered on."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

- nice work environment.
    - dynamic work place
    - intelligent colleagues

Cons

- no value or respect given to experience.
    - very limited training for managers, shows in management style across all levels.
    - old boys club click.

Advice to Management

Understand why you are not keeping experienced people joining your business in the past 10 years. Your values have to change with the size and scope of you business to retain an attract talent that can help build its future. People management is a skill missing in Scoular, the future work force will not tolerate this.

"Going nowhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, fun community atmosphere and events, flexible scheduling

Cons

I wrote a review about 1.5 years ago on here with my starry eyed excitement about where my position was going. Since then the rug has really been ripped out from under me.

In my experience opportunity for advancement has been used as a bribing tool to keep me from quitting, but seems to be bottom of the priority barrel when it comes to actually making strides. Management will spread support staff as thin as possible before hiring relief or investing in operational corrections for the benefit of the "bottom line." My responsibilities have expanded rapidly but my title and compensation has not changed. My reaction to my situation, ranging from restricted productivity to requesting meetings to discuss solutions, has been met with harsh criticism and threats of corrective action.

The turnover rate at our office is very high. The company is limping along with seasoned salespeople but green green support who do not understand the outdated systems. At this rate, this pattern is only going to get worse. Eventually the company will feel the effects, who knows what they will do about it then.

Advice to Management

There's a reason you can't keep support staff for more than 2 years. Look into it.

"Good Company Not always good ideas."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

They have very nice facilities to work in. The atmosphere was generally collegial. The company has a solid history as an up-and-comer. Some excellent execution in the company

Cons

Uneven leadership quality within the company. Some areas perform very well, some work like the DMV. Operates like an "old-boys-club." Difficult for women to succeed.

Advice to Management

I think that Management needs to have a better idea behind new ideas. There needs to be more cohesive planning and execution from the top for new directives.

"Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Scoular Company (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, competitive pay.

Cons

There are a lot of changes going on in the company after the past two faux pas ($17 million wire fraud and faked trader P&L...something like $8 million). New CEO, and many management moves. As of my time there, no one had been fired for the inaccurate P&L. This business is NOT for women unless you work under a manager who has lots of experience and open-mindedness. Like previous review, this is a boys club. As a woman you are just an HR hazard. You unfortunately do not get to choose where you go or who you work with, leave it up to the VPs. Plan on working 7 days a week 12+ hours a day if you are going to be successful in this business. Don't even think about asking for time off.

Advice to Management

Work on making current employees happy instead of wining and dining the prospects. You will have a better turnover rate. Middle management needs to step up their game instead of being disconnected from what is going on in trading offices.

"Mixed reviews"

I worked at Scoular Company full-time

Pros

Paid very well, unconventional environment which made it a challenging experience. Loved the work location.

Cons

Definitely "good ole boys" at the top. My manager had ALOT to learn, this was their first high level management position. Very tough on people that reported to them - definitely a perfectionist with some serious personal issues. And the manager above this person seemed just go with whatever, right or wrong - I seriously hope there was some constructive coaching in the background afterward.

Advice to Management

Due to the entrepreneur culture, very inconsistent middle management behavior. It really depended on who you worked for. For all the talk about caring, etc. many employees did see it or experience it.

"its an OK company"

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

family like
    laid back
    work is not too hard

Cons

no career development
    no consistent training system
    pay is not worth the work

Advice to Management

develop a consistent useful training system

"Disappointed"

Pros

Benefits package and yearly bonus

Cons

Advancement opportunities are not available to women.

The various divisions are divided into operations and sales. Operations staff, who tend to be a majority of women, have a very high turn over rate. The sales staff divisions have very little over site and have a very low turn over due to lack of upper management over site on their end.

Favoritism is rampant in all divisions and if you happen to make your leadership skills known and share your disappointment with the lack of opportunities available, you can kiss your hopes of getting anywhere in the company good-bye. Positions available are not offered to current employees but instead to friends and family of current sales staff first, who in many circumstances are not any better than current employees trying to advance.

Upper management is not any better as they are aware of the issues but instead of making changes allow them to continue.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees by implementing greater over sight over lower management and how advancement opportunities are handled and offered through your locations.