Scoular Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Not a Great Place for Women"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Nice Office
    Competitive pay - but it is still not enough to retain employees

Cons

Old boys' club
    Chauvanistic comments and behavior accepted as part of work culture
    Ethically questionable business practices

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat women in the work place with respect

Scoular Company Response

Oct 21, 2016 – VP, Talent & Human Resources

I am disappointed to hear this was your experience. This is certainly not what we would want. We have many very talented women working in our Company and are always looking for more. We want a work... More

2. "It was amazing and different"

Former Employee - Scale Operator in Helena, MT
    Former Employee - Scale Operator in Helena, MT

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a laid back environment most of the time we are just there doing nothing until season starts.

Cons

When the season start it's 14 hours days 7 days a week

3. "Concerning Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good experience.

Cons

Boring atmosphere. Not a lot of direction from management.

"Not so good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company (More than a year)

Pros

Management is willing to work with the employee for flexible scheduling as needed - though not on a static basis. There were a lot of available resources to learn skills and industry knowledge. The team I worked with was hands down the best I've ever been privileged to be part of. Acceptance of who you are and the skills you bring was high. I didn't feel as though I was micromanaged. It's a fun group, they do a lot of outside of work activities, a very inclusive environment if you are into sports. They also support many good charitable organizations and encourage the entire office to participate.

Cons

Unreasonably high expectations, when mistakes are made they get blown out of proportion.. Employees don't report the discrimination suffered for fear of retaliation. The workloads are not balanced well, poor decisions in this regard favoring men over women. It is a high stress job. Management is unreliable in their expectations - frequently changing gears which often puts the employee straight in the path of being their scape goat. Too much finger pointing, no one wants to accept accountability for their own actions or decisions - always looking to blame someone else for the situation.

Advice to Management

Be reliable. When you give an employee direction on your expectations, don't change your mind or tell them something different a few days later. Management style should not be a roller coaster ride for the employee. Stay true to your word when you make a promise - pie crust promises (easily made, easily broken) is very poor form and makes the work environment much less secure. Your employees are always having to watch their back for the knife you're about to put in it - stop throwing them under the bus when mistakes occur. Give more positive feedback to your employees and less non-constructive criticism.

5. "Former Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Omaha, NE

Pros

Great location on Dodge Street

Cons

A very stressful work environment

Advice to Management

keep on keepin on

6. "Grain Merchandiser"

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time

Pros

Freedom to make your own choices

Cons

You have to be willing to live in very rural places and move often

"Mixed reviews"

I worked at Scoular Company full-time

Pros

Paid very well, unconventional environment which made it a challenging experience. Loved the work location.

Cons

Definitely "good ole boys" at the top. My manager had ALOT to learn, this was their first high level management position. Very tough on people that reported to them - definitely a perfectionist with some serious personal issues. And the manager above this person seemed just go with whatever, right or wrong - I seriously hope there was some constructive coaching in the background afterward.

Advice to Management

Due to the entrepreneur culture, very inconsistent middle management behavior. It really depended on who you worked for. For all the talk about caring, etc. many employees did see it or experience it.

"Going downhill fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scoular had decent benefits - unlimited sick time, good 401(k) match, and tries to start you out at a good salary with incentives

Cons

The company is going downhill faster than I ever thought possible. Got duped by wire fraud, had traders losing insane amounts of money, and can't keep up with the market.
    Not a lot of room for growth unless you're in a Merchandiser role.
    Middle management has no idea what they're doing. People are given subordinates to manage because it's the "next step" for their career, but they aren't trained at all

Advice to Management

Hire a new CEO, train your middle management, figure out how to actually run your business without running it into the ground. Spend time developing staff that aren't in Merchandising roles.

"Merchandiser Assistant"

Current Employee - Merchandiser Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandiser Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Regular reviews. Acceptable increases. For the most part, a friendly environment. Not micro managed and allowed to make decisions and mistakes without being ridiculed. Parking reimbursement. Yearly bonus. The job is challenging and always learning something new.

Cons

Unfortunately, middle management is allowed to lead by bullying and intimidation and employees are too intimidated to report it. That atmosphere is not a healthy environment and causes undue stress. Finally, this behavior was reported to management without any result and was ignored. Higher management is also non existent for the non-management employees. It seems there is no where to turn for these matters without fear of retaliation. There is not a lot of opportunity for an employee to grow.

Advice to Management

Better management skills for current managers. Mandatory classes on harassment and management skills or hire better management. This could be a great company to work for with less turn over if some of these issues werea addressed. More growth possibilities within the company. Post jobs for current employees for more opportunity. I think too many good employees leave due to lack of opportunity.

"Not the best, not the worst"

Pros

Great benefits. Down town location. Decent pay if you aren't a minion at the bottom.

Cons

Need better training. Just because a supervisor does their job well doesn't mean they will be good at training/teaching.

Advice to Management

Value and acknoweldge your employees at the "bottom."