Screwfix Reviews in Yeovil, England | Glassdoor

4.3
Screwfix CEO Andrew Livingston
Andrew Livingston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance for trade counter staff (in 9 reviews)

• Went from an Sales assistant to Supervisor within 4 months, if you show willing they give you opportunities to progress (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I think they lose a lot of good quality service assistants due to not offering full time contracts (in 8 reviews)

• No part time opportunities in a supervisor role (in 4 reviews)

1. "Head Office Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager Head Office in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager Head Office in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at Screwfix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing, innovative company that really knows its customers and develops strategies to help them.

Cons

Can be a bit top-down with decisions having to come from the top to be implemented

Advice to Management

Allow a little more freedom to implement ideas - there are forums in place to suggest ideas but it feels a token gesture and requires you to talk the 'commercial' language which not all of us have

2. "Good place to work"

Current Contractor - Contractor in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Young teams
    Very enthusiastic
    Lots of energy

Cons

Location is not exciting
    Sometimes decisions can be rigid and old fashioned

Advice to Management

none

"Head office roles not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at Screwfix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Progressive business, fantastic retail model. Really great field and retail team, always looking for new innovation and ways of working.

Cons

High pressure. Face fits organisation. Best practices not adhered to in head office. Head office and retail act as two separate businesses. Some head office management have weak people management skills.

4. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at Screwfix (More than 5 years)

Pros

Expanding company, staff discount, good work life balance, fair bonus

Cons

Getting too big now, micro management by area managers, really bad IT, audit fixated

Advice to Management

let store managers, manage

5. "Dynamic & Forward Thinking"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic, Forward Thinking, Family feeling

Cons

Location, Traffic, Filter Coffee, Rain,

Advice to Management

Keep up great work

6. "Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, really look after you and great to work for, would really recommend!!!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons for screwfix it is a great place to work and a great place to build a career

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, you guys are great at what you do!!

7. "Buying"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, strong teams, large amount of autonomy, fast paced, customer focused and sales driven environment. The exposure to web trading is really good, responsible for range, price, promotions and space in catalogue and stores. Feels like you're the managing director of your own category. Lots of social stuff going on too a great place to be

Cons

Demanding and lots of deadlines, also the role is far bigger than that of a conventional buyer with involvement in many other areas, however plenty of support offered. Can be a shock to the system when you first join but everyone has been through it and the support sees you through

"Life as a Customer Service Representative in the Contact Centre"

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After working in Customer Service for a few years it is nice to finally have a Customer Service job where I feel valued.
    You are given the freedom to get on with your work on your own but you know you always have a team that you can fall back on and rely on for key advice and support if you need to.
    Monthly bonuses are quite easy to achieve when you put In the work, I started achieving bonus the first month I was eligible and I have achieved it almost every month since.
    There are many training opportunities and chances to move into other parts of the company, if you are interested and you put in the work, they will happily let you find the position in ScrewFix that is best suited to you.

Cons

As this is a phone-based job, some customers can jump straight to being angry and unfair because they can "hide" behind their telephones. Most of the time this isn't an issue because ScrewFix's clientele are usually friendly and knowledgeable, but it can be frustrating at times when you just want to calm a customer down and fix their problem and all they're doing is yelling at you.
    I have found, because I am female, that some customers also believe that I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to deciding what the best tool for the job would be or just when I give them product specifications as stated by manufacturers. Some times they will insist on talking to a manager instead of me but the joke's on them - Most of the Contact Centre managers are female!
    The point of all this is, the only 'cons' I could think of are ones to do with the customers, not the job or the company itself.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to make managers in the Contact Centre more readily available. Although every team has their own manager, at times you may find yourself looking around for one and you can't see one anywhere because they're all in a meeting, or busy doing something else. I'm not sure how to fix this exactly, I just know that it can be frustrating.

9. "Fast growing company; Great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yeovil, England (UK)

Pros

I recently joined Screwfix in their Head Office in Yeovil. It's a rapidly growing business but does not seem to be losing it's friendly, open and straightforward approach internally. I've found it to be a very warm and welcoming culture, so much so I haven't felt 'new'. It also provides an environment to be able to excel in your role. There are regular business updates. Directors in the business are very approachable and accessible and show interest in projects and people. The working hours allow flexibility and a better work/life balance.

Cons

I can't think of too many cons. Possibly the induction process into the company could be improved, it's been a bit ad hoc for myself, however, on the flip side, I've been allowed to just get stuck in to my role.

10. "Encouraging start, hopeful for the future"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Yeovil, England (UK)

I have been working at Screwfix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A fresh approach to developing staff and their progression with the company. Talent is nurtured and encouraged.

Cons

Salaries not the highest but still fairly competitive.