Scribbr Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 18, 2018

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"It's okay in a pinch, but..."

Pros

If you are a fast editor, the pay per word can be quite decent.

Cons

The quality of submissions varies drastically. Some people are not even writing in readable English but the management will insist that you edit the document anyway. Sometimes this does not feel completely ethical as there are times when the editor has to essentially rewrite a large portion of the sentences to be readable. Sometimes these orders take so long that the pay per word is very low. There have been times when I have told management that an order is basically incomprehensible and they will not be helpful, and tell me to just continue editing it even if I have very little idea what the student is saying.

Sometimes management is not very helpful when it comes to questions about recurring grammar errors in a customer's order. There have been times when I've made an inquiry about an obscure grammar point I was unsure what to do with and received the reply "Just leave it as it is" or gotten an incorrect answer, which I would then find out was incorrect after doing a lot of my own searching online.

It is also difficult with the time difference because editors working in much different time zones cannot communicate with the management as easily.

"Great place to work. Genuine people, rewarding work."

Current Freelancer - Freelance Editor in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Editor in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I have been working at Scribbr (More than a year)

Pros

From a people point of view, the Scribbr team genuinely cares – about the work, about their editors, and about their customers. They're warm and have a collaborative, can-do approach to things. In terms of the work process, it's seamless. If you're looking to work from home and maximise your productivity, then Scribbr will be right up your street. The business is almost entirely online-based, and they take care of the admin involved in dealing with customers so we can focus purely on editing. Scribbr also provides plenty of support for editors in the form of an in-depth editing-related knowledge base and an editor community forum where you can ask any questions and engage with other editors. For a digital business, they've done a remarkable job of cultivating a culture in which kindness, helpfulness, and integrity take centre stage. They're also constantly innovating and finding ways to improve their service and offer us additional support. The work itself can be tough-going, depending on the quality of the text, but it's also deeply rewarding.

Cons

The quality of each piece of writing varies, and in the past, since the business model worked on a per-word rather than a text-quality basis, sometimes (with a poorly written text), you'd spend more time on a job than you'd get paid for it. That said, Scribbr is currently innovating and working to solve this issue. Finally, if you live outside Europe, the exchange rate doesn't always work in your favour in terms of earnings. Then again, in my experience, high earnings don't count for much if the work environment is awful. If you value time freedom and working with a company where you feel valued and like part of the family, then the exchange rate fluctuations are a small price to pay.

Advice to Management

Personally, I adore Scribbr. The only advice I have is to keep innovating, keep caring, and really just keep doing what you're already doing.

"Awesome company"

I have been working at Scribbr part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a great setup. As an editor, I can choose when and how much I work and which topics I prefer. I get to work on very interesting papers and it’s very rewarding. Even though I live in a different time zone and have never met anyone at HQ, I feel like a part of the team.

Cons

You get paid the same whether the paper needs a heavy edit or a light edit. Papers are usually from non-native English speakers and need a lot of work. To do a proper job on these, you make less money. I believe the company is taking steps to remedy this, and the job flexibility makes up for this issue in my case.

"Growing team with family-like work culture"

Former Employee - Content Manager German in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Content Manager German in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Scribbr part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Possibility to realize my own plans
    - You can bring in ideas wherever, whenever
    - Proactive and independent work culture
    - Nice and family-like team
    - Possibility to bring in ideas

Cons

- Implementation of feedback takes some time
    - Start-up culture tends to be a bit chaotic

Advice to Management

- The new HR management seems to be a good addition
    - Sometimes people need a bit more guidance, at least at the beginning

"A great team!"

Current Freelancer - Italian Editor in Milano (Italy)
    Current Freelancer - Italian Editor in Milano (Italy)

Pros

I'm an Italian Editor and I've been working for Scribbr for almost two years. Scribbr is a company full of brilliant people. They are always ready to advise or help other colleagues. Payments are always on time. Internal communication works well: even if I work as a freelancer, I have always managed to communicate easily with the team. Editing is very interesting and stimulating.

Cons

Nothing to say. Maybe they should open an office in Italy! :)

"Good by editing agency standards."

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Basics: Scribbr is a company that mostly edits papers and theses at the university level (typically BA, but also higher). Practically all assignments are from non-natives, so the work is more about basic fixing of clear issues rather than fine-tuning and tweaking.

The company is well organized with an excellent online interface. It's gratifying to work for a company that encourages us to give feedback on how to improve to the students - seems a step more ethical than some competitors. All the staff are very responsive and kind. The vetting process for freelancers is also quite rigorous, and it seems like a team of competent people; in exchange, the feedback from senior staff is strict but fair, in contrast to what I've heard from some other agencies. Payments are prompt, and I've never had any issues with the company.

Cons

As is typical for undergraduate-level ESL work , most of the assignments range from poor to absolutely terrible in terms of language; it's rare for me to find a single sentence in an assignment that does not require fixing on a basic level. Since the pay is by word, regardless of the quality of the text, the hourly wage is almost never the 20-25 euros the company advertises; I average about 7-10 euros/hour, and that is after I decided that I will aim to improve each text rather than trying to tidy them to be publication-quality.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Leistungsorientiertes Arbeitsumfeld"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Erfahrener Arbeitgeber, der weiß, was er tut und wie er seine Mitarbeiter fordern und fördern kann.
     Scribbr ist die Qualität der Arbeit enorm wichtig. Deshalb wird man dazu anfegalten, stets hervorragende, fehlerfreie Arbeit abzuliefern. Als Student ist das super, weil ich die Grundsätze wissenschaftliches Schreiben verinnerlichen und im eigenen Studium anwenden kann.

Cons

Der Leistungsdruck ist nichts für schwache Nerven.

8. "Tolles Team, regelmäßige Aufträge"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

- tolle Kommunikation innerhalb des Teams
    - Vernetzung mit anderen Korrektoren
    - regelmäßige Aufträge

Cons

- gibt es eigentlich keine

"Ideal für den Einstieg als Freelancer"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Scribbr (More than a year)

Pros

- Das Service-Team ist außerordentlich gut und konnte mir bisher bei jedem Anliegen helfen. Ganz großes Lob!

- Die allgemeine Ausstrahlung und Atmosphäre ist sehr freundlich und locker. Das Team versucht, nicht nur gegenüber den Studenten, sondern auch gegenüber den Korrektoren als Freund und Helfer aufzutreten, was meiner Meinung nach auch super gelingt. Als verwirrter Berufseinsteigerin hat mir diese Einstellung viel Unsicherheit genommen.

- Als Korrektor kann man auf eine große Wissensdatenbank zugreifen, die auch einen internen Bereich enthält. Die Arbeitsbedingungen und -vorgaben sind dadurch sehr übersichtlich. Die Korrekturrichtlinien können zwar auf den ersten Blick einengend wirken, doch auf Dauer gestalten sie das Korrigieren effizienter, einfacher und vor allem einheitlicher. Im Endeffekt kann man einiges für sein Handwerk dazulernen, auch dank der Diskussionen im Mitarbeiterkanal.

- Das Team fragt die Korrektoren gezielt nach Verbesserungsvorschlägen und setzt diese auch um. Allgemein werden Auftreten und Service durchgehend überarbeitet und verbessert.

Cons

Wie bereits in anderen Bewertungen angesprochen, ergeben sich Nachteile eher aus der Freelancer-Tätigkeit an sich als aus der Zusammenarbeit mit Scribbr. Wem freie Zeiteinteilung, spontane Aufträge und Eigenverantwortung nicht liegen, der wird nicht nur bei Scribbr, sondern auch im gesamten Bereich nicht glücklich werden.

10. "Faire Bezahlung, professionelle Kommunikation"

Current Freelancer - Korrektor
    Current Freelancer - Korrektor

I have been working at Scribbr (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bin seit einigen Jahren für diese Agentur tätig und habe bisher ausschliesslich positive Erfahrungen mit dem Team gemacht: Kommunikation ist professionell, freundlich und 24/7 über mehrere Kanäle möglich. Frontend und Backend wirken auf mich durchdacht und anwenderfreundlich, sowas kenne ich von den meisten anderen Plattformen dieser Art gar nicht. Mitarbeiter sind ausnahmslos interessiert bis herzlich und antworten (außer mitten in der Nacht) stets prompt, ansonsten nach max. 1 h. Für fachliche Hilfen gibt's einen Teamchat, um sich mit Kollegen auszutauschen, außerdem bekommt man Zugriff auf eine nett gemachte Wissensdatenbank. Betreuung ist insgesamt großartig.
    Bezahlung ist gut bis sehr gut; bin auch bei schlecht geschriebenen Texten nur selten unter 20 Euro/h und kann trotzdem gute Ergebnisse liefern. Auszahlung erfolgt regelmäßig und bisher ausnahmslos pünktlich; daran können sich etliche Wettbewerber ein Beispiel nehmen.
    Textqualität ist meist akzeptabel und nicht selten auch schon gut, manchmal sehr gut, so dass die Arbeit regelmäßig Spaß macht. Habe umgekehrt bei schlechten Texten nie das Gefühl, dass ich im ethischen Grenzbereich arbeite (s. u.) - wenn ein Abschnitt absolut nicht korrigiert werden kann, weil er keine Aussage hat, kann und soll ich als Korrektor eben keinen Inhalt herbeizaubern; das versteht auch Scribbr. Finde ich fair - auch den ausländischen Studenten gegenüber.

Cons

Immer wieder mal werden auch Nicht-Muttersprachler-Texte beauftragt (ist aber überall so). Wenn ich dann bspw. sehe, dass die Textqualität einfach zu schlecht für eine vollständige Korrektur ist, wird ungern gesehen, dass man das sofort als unkorrigierbar zurückweist. Sie prüfen es dann i. d. R. nochmal. Meistens soll man dann darin korrigieren, was eben möglich ist. Es muss aber nichts umgeschrieben werden, wenn nicht klar ist, was ausgedrückt werden sollte. Kann die Aussage hierzu aus der untenstehenden früheren Bewertung deshalb ehrlich nicht nachvollziehen.
    Man sollte bereit sein, sich mit den Prozessen und Vorgaben des Anbieters zu befassen, dann ist die Arbeit relativ leicht, falls man was von dieser Art Tätigkeit versteht. Es wird einem aber meiner Erfahrung nach nichts hinterhergetragen - ohne eigenes Engagement kommt man also auch hier nicht weit.

Advice to Management

Kenne derzeit keinen Anbieter, der auf diesem hohen Niveau arbeitet - weiter so!