Scribbr Reviews

"Nice but not enough"

4.0
    Current Contractor - Editor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Scribbr for less than a year

Pros

Excellent paid training program, work tailored to your skills

Cons

Not enough work or high enough pay

Continue reading

"It's okay in a pinch, but..."

2.0

I have been working at Scribbr

Pros

If you are a fast editor, the pay per word can be quite decent.

Cons

The quality of submissions varies drastically. Some people are not even writing in readable English but the management will insist that you edit the document anyway. Sometimes this does not feel completely ethical as there are times when the editor has to essentially rewrite a large portion of the sentences to be readable. Sometimes these orders take so long that the pay per word is very low. There have been times when I have told management that an order is basically incomprehensible and they will not be helpful, and tell me to just continue editing it even if I have very little idea what the student is saying. Sometimes management is not very helpful when it comes to questions about recurring grammar errors in a customer's order. There have been times when I've made an inquiry about an obscure grammar point I was unsure what to do with and received the reply "Just leave it as it is" or gotten an incorrect answer, which I would then find out was incorrect after doing a lot of my own searching online. It is also difficult with the time difference because editors working in much different time zones cannot communicate with the management as easily.

3. "Great company to grow with"

Former Freelancer - Freelance Editor

I worked at Scribbr for more than 5 years

Pros

Great support, helpful guidelines and documentation, well organized on the whole, great team rapport

Cons

Can sometimes have a lot of work or no work

4. "Happy to work with Scribbr"

Current Freelancer - Qualified Editor

I have been working at Scribbr for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, you can work from anywhere. Feel a lot of support from the team. Perfect for me.

Cons

The amount of work depends of the universities schedule, which means a lot in summer and way less in winter for example,

"nice employer, flexible hours"

Current Contractor - Editor

I have been working at Scribbr

Pros

flexible hours, the people working customer service are nice, very fast growing scale-up

Cons

at the start the salary is lower but if you are good, it'll get better

"Great and convenient"

5.0
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Editor (English)

I have been working at Scribbr for less than a year

Pros

Excellent way to be a digital nomad; if you can edit quickly enough, you can earn enough money to live quite a lavish lifestyle in many digital nomad cities. Work from anywhere from just your laptop. Very good for earning side income also. Can be interesting to read different people's theses. Support team is quick to respond and there is round the clock support.

Cons

Work is seasonal and unpredictable during off-season periods (although this is really a function of demand, which can change)

"Great place to work. Genuine people, rewarding work."

Current Freelancer - Freelance Editor in Johannesburg

I have been working at Scribbr for more than a year

Pros

From a people point of view, the Scribbr team genuinely cares – about the work, about their editors, and about their customers. They're warm and have a collaborative, can-do approach to things. In terms of the work process, it's seamless. If you're looking to work from home and maximise your productivity, then Scribbr will be right up your street. The business is almost entirely online-based, and they take care of the admin involved in dealing with customers so we can focus purely on editing. Scribbr also provides plenty of support for editors in the form of an in-depth editing-related knowledge base and an editor community forum where you can ask any questions and engage with other editors. For a digital business, they've done a remarkable job of cultivating a culture in which kindness, helpfulness, and integrity take centre stage. They're also constantly innovating and finding ways to improve their service and offer us additional support. The work itself can be tough-going, depending on the quality of the text, but it's also deeply rewarding.

Cons

The quality of each piece of writing varies, and in the past, since the business model worked on a per-word rather than a text-quality basis, sometimes (with a poorly written text), you'd spend more time on a job than you'd get paid for it. That said, Scribbr is currently innovating and working to solve this issue. Finally, if you live outside Europe, the exchange rate doesn't always work in your favour in terms of earnings. Then again, in my experience, high earnings don't count for much if the work environment is awful. If you value time freedom and working with a company where you feel valued and like part of the family, then the exchange rate fluctuations are a small price to pay.

"Awesome company"

5.0

I have been working at Scribbr part-time for less than a year

Pros

This company has a great setup. As an editor, I can choose when and how much I work and which topics I prefer. I get to work on very interesting papers and it’s very rewarding. Even though I live in a different time zone and have never met anyone at HQ, I feel like a part of the team.

Cons

You get paid the same whether the paper needs a heavy edit or a light edit. Papers are usually from non-native English speakers and need a lot of work. To do a proper job on these, you make less money. I believe the company is taking steps to remedy this, and the job flexibility makes up for this issue in my case.

"Growing team with family-like work culture"

Former Employee - Content Manager German in Amsterdam

I worked at Scribbr part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Possibility to realize my own plans - You can bring in ideas wherever, whenever - Proactive and independent work culture - Nice and family-like team - Possibility to bring in ideas

Cons

- Implementation of feedback takes some time - Start-up culture tends to be a bit chaotic

"A great team!"

Current Freelancer - Italian Editor in Milan

I have been working at Scribbr

Pros

I'm an Italian Editor and I've been working for Scribbr for almost two years. Scribbr is a company full of brilliant people. They are always ready to advise or help other colleagues. Payments are always on time. Internal communication works well: even if I work as a freelancer, I have always managed to communicate easily with the team. Editing is very interesting and stimulating.

Cons

Nothing to say. Maybe they should open an office in Italy! :)

Found 11 reviews