Scribd Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trip Adler

"Great place to grow and take ownership of your work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scribd (Less than a year)

Pros

I was nervous about accepting my offer upon seeing old reviews of Scribd, but after visiting the office and meeting the team, the new reviews are totally right! There is a great work culture, both relaxed, yet hitting deadlines and developing a really cool product!

Two of my main goals was to find a job with good mentorship and space to grow, and I found both here. Everyone is quick to assist and everyone gets a say in making decisions. I've really enjoyed my time here and am looking at the years (plural) to come.

Also, a huge thing for me is that they are thinking about the long term. There is no "get rich quick" scheme here and it's all about putting in the effort to get the results.

Mini perk: every meal is covered through the week

Cons

Truly nothing comes to mind. Everything that I thought I wouldn't like, turned into a blessing. There is just the right amount of freedom and structure.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on long term growth and keeping the work/life culture pleasant to be a part of.

2. "Scribd is pretty good"

Current Employee - IOS Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IOS Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scribd (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, smart engineers, teamwork, good social scene, free food (and all the other lovely startup nonsense), everyone cares about the product and the user, and your boss isn't an idiot.

Cons

Spending time on revenue features is less interesting than real work, but you'd get that problem anywhere. Sometimes forward planning is a little lacking, so there can be a few weeks of hurry-up-and-wait here and there.

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes on the user and everything will work out great.

"Great place to work, and getting better"

I worked at Scribd full-time

Pros

I had a great time working at Scribd. The best part is the team. I worked in engineering so I know that part best, but everyone I worked with was smart and dedicated. There are the standard startup perks. Many people are truly passionate about reading and books. Sabeen (head of engineering) is a terrific manager who keeps everything working.

Cons

The Scribd business is not doing that great. Between competition from Amazon and the publishers being unwilling to mark-down prices enough to let us get to profitability, we are going to have to figure out how to grow while staying profitable.

Advice to Management

Figure out the Scribd business, asap.

"Great team, despite leadership issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Scribd (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team of employees, family atmosphere. Good perks.

Cons

Leadership. Culture is very young minded.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to make the right decisions.

6. "Unique, fun, and rewarding company!"

I worked at Scribd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make an impact, little bureaucracy, awesome & fun team of people, and lots of users of the product. Great CTO, good CEO and many former Scribd employees have gone on to do impressive things. Definitely no regrets in working here - was probably my favorite job to date.

Cons

Often without a voice in decisions, leadership is lacking, product difficult to differentiate from competition, and team is too junior.

Advice to Management

Scribd has come a long way, but there's more road to travel. Stay focused, but try to differentiate the product from the competition. Make sure people are heard and have a seat at the table.

"The new Scribd is an all-new company; great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scribd full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working at Scribd. It's a huge privilege to get to work with such a talented team of people and I learn a ton from them every day. It's also really fun to get to work on a consumer product that I really enjoy as a user.

Pros:
    - Really large user base, so your work affects real people
    - Relatively small, high quality team. NICE people too, not just smart.
    - Entrepreneurial culture: everyone has an opinion on product and strategy and there are lots of lively debates
    - New book subscription service is a big hit with consumers and a compelling vision I enjoy working on
    - Nice to be at a company that is profitable, financially stable, and succeeding in the marketplace
    - Management is highly accessible and transparent

From reading the other Glassdoor reviews, you'll notice a lot of negative feedback from a few years ago. Scribd went through a rough time back then, and seems to have some angry former employees. While it seems the company made some mistakes back then, I can say that most of the issues former employees raised are not relevant anymore. Since those reviews were left, Scribd pivoted its whole business and brought in a more experienced management team. While things could always be improved, generally the company is running well these days.

Cons

- Tension between old and new business can lead to strategic compromises
    - The product design process and inter-play between product, design and engineering still isn't as smooth as it should be
    - Space is getting competitive and Scribd will need to execute fast to stay ahead of competition

Advice to Management

I'd advise more structure and an updated process around product and engineering. I also think we can do a better job communicating our culture, values, and vision.

8. "Excellent potential and great team."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Scribd full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Scribd is demonstrating its new business model works and the company is growing quickly. Revenue growth has created opportunities for employees to earn promotions and take on more responsibility. In my time here, I've seen outstanding engineers get promoted and now they lead teams and manage other engineers. I've seen the company address area's where they've underinvested and aggressively hire in order to get the best engineering and design team onboard even when we're competing comp wise with companies like Facebook.

Cons

The compensation is at the upper end of the market, the benefits are great and competitive. The company serves healthy food for all three meals and everyone works hard. No complaints from me.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing key metrics and performance within the company so everyone can be bought into the vision and stay on the same page.

"Good for first job in tech but has downsides."

I worked at Scribd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and lots of it.
    Very flexible hours.
    Stable for a startup.
    Talented, smart, fun people working there - type of people who will go on to start new successful startups.
    Good place to get experience.

Cons

Secretive management style.
    Managers pull rank to squash ideas.
    Product decisions often based on engineer opinions instead of user research.
    Management condones unprofessional behavior in order to not lose employees.
    Office feels like a college dorm.

Advice to Management

Don't be shady. Employees can tell when they are being lied to. Don't just rely on free food and toys for employee retention. Improve office culture and environment to fit company goals. There is a lot of potential there for Scribd to be a good place to work. Make changes now while you can.

Jun 22, 2014 – Co-founder

I'd like to sincerely thank you for offering this honest feedback, and for doing it in a constructive way outlining ways that we can improve. As a cofounder, I'm disappointed in the company and in ... More

"Poor management. Childish workplace."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Scribd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Freedom in projects
    - Talented and smart people
    - Free food
    - Good for a first job out of college.

Cons

- Awful management
    - Decisions often at odds with employees' interests.
    - Startup in zombie stage, trying to copy competitors' innovations.

Advice to Management

Get professional management that knows what they are doing.

Jun 22, 2014 – Co-founder

As a founder of Scribd, I would like to sincerely apologize for what was obviously a very bad experience you had at the company. As a founder, it's deeply troubling for me that anyone at Scribd ... More

"Great vision, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

talented, smart people
    fun environment
    good compensation

Cons

poor leadership and communication
    lack of involvement from the board or adult supervision

Jun 23, 2014 – Co-founder

Although this review was written several years ago, I feel it is important to respond for people who are reading this now and are wondering what it says about Scribd ... More