Scribe Media Reviews

Updated Jan 22, 2021

4.6
Scribe Media President and CEO JeVon (JT) McCormick
JeVon (JT) McCormick
Pros
  • "My experience with Scribe so far has been unbelievable(in 17 reviews)

• "The authors I've worked with have become friends(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "I don't have a single negative thing to say about Scribe(in 10 reviews)

• "Scribe is a young and growing company(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. COVID-19

"Brilliant, Unique, Exciting Place to Be!"

Current Employee - Director of Author Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked in a number of different environments--corporate, academic, public sector--and I haven't found a culture like Scribe's anywhere else! Tribe members are so smart, so passionate and so aware, they raise your game instantly just through day-to-day interactions. Never before have I experienced this level of collaboration and grace given for honest mistakes that come about as a function of creating, building, and moving rapidly. I'm confident that any idea I have will be made 10X better through discussion with the tribe and execution of that shared idea 10X faster. It's a very special, supportive group of people who accomplish great things together. The potential of this place is truly limitless, so it's a great place to be if that excites you. It's what I've been searching for!

Cons

The only Con I can share has more to do with the circumstances of the pandemic. The Scribe culture is so unique and supportive, but to get the full experience, you need to be in person with the tribe--one reason JeVon feels strongly that full time employees should be local to Austin, and I agree. I haven't been with Scribe long, so I haven't really been able to experience full-on tribe goodness due to COVID-related protocols.

2. "Could not imagine working for a better company"

Current Employee - Author Marketing Strategist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Incredible paid time off -Whole Self Program -Amazing leadership -Career & Personal growth opportunities -Profit share -Great benefits (free medical, dental, vision)

Cons

We're currently remote so we can't work from the amazing office and with other awesome co-workers

Continue reading

"Company Culture Not As Advertised"

1.0
    Former Employee - Author Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Scribe Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

New company with great possibilities. Great Health Insurance Plan

Cons

Lack of training Stress level and emotional health of management.

Scribe Media Response

January 26, 2021People and Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback, as we're always seeking to learn and improve! Especially given our Principle #5 Tell Your Tribe the Truth, we greatly appreciate you sharing your honest experience.

"Not as advertised—deceitful"

1.0
    Current Employee - Publishing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Good parking and good lunch places nearby

Cons

* Moving goalposts, underdeveloped managers, lack of career trajectory * Ambiguous vision and direction * Toxic work culture * Unexperienced leadership—ego-based * Terrible cross-departmental collaboration. Oftentimes departments feel siloed and fragmented

Scribe Media Response

January 11, 2021People and Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We see you've mentioned you are a current Tribe member. If, and we do mean if, that is actually true, we find your review startling. We do not know of any Tribe member that does not engage in real time feedback with their Direct Support, our CEO, our Director of Operations, or the People and Recruitment Manager. Since our Principles encourage open and frequent dialog and feedback, (in particular #s 1-9: #1 We before me, #2 Do right by people, #3 Bring your whole self to work, #4 Ask questions, #5 Tell your Tribe the truth, #6 Work like an owner, #7 The glass is already broken, #8 What's best, not who's right, #9 We all eat the same dirt) we are always receiving and providing feedback, and staying true to Value #4, Learning, and Principle #10, Teaching what we learn. The feedback you've shared here does not align at all with what we regularly receive in real time from Tribe members. Based on the view you've expressed of your experience working at Scribe, it does not sound as if you are aligned with our Values and Principles. We imagine that this could make it difficult for you to experience Principle #3, Bring your whole self to work. Therefore, we encourage you to speak with your Direct Support about a Mindful Exit from Scribe, so that you can pursue a career somewhere that speaks more truly to your heart. On the other hand, if this review was written by someone that has recently been exited, well, all the best to you too.

5. "A company that lets you grow into your strengths"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience with Scribe so far has been unbelievable. I've never worked for a company that's allowed me to lean into my strengths and create the role I want. I feel supported and encouraged by my direct support to lean into new, unfamiliar territory that sparks my interest. Usually around the 2-year mark with a company, I start to feel restless and bored and BOY is that so far from the case with Scribe. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of the career path I'm able to build here.

Cons

There is no hand-holding at Scribe. I wouldn't call that a con, but it's not for everybody. To succeed at Scribe, you truly need to be a self-starter, be unafraid to be seen and put yourself out there.

Continue reading
  6. "A company worth moving across the country for"

Current Employee - Senior Manuscript Creative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time

Pros

I was a freelancer for Scribe for three years before joining the company full-time. To do that, I had to move my family halfway across the country—and I don't regret that choice for a second. Scribe has designed a workplace that is both heavy on autonomy and heavy on feedback. You have every opportunity to customize your workday and your workflow to how you prefer to operate, but you're also encouraged (and supported) to constantly evaluate how you approach your work, how you communicate with others, and how you manage projects. I've learned more about how to manage my time in six months than I had learned in the previous five years! This is just one aspect of Scribe's people-first culture. The company's "whole self" philosophy encourages you to examine all aspects of your life (work, relationships, and self), and create an aligned, activated self. This is just as important a part of your job as your daily workload. Expect to grow in ways that surprise you (and in ways that will make you super proud of yourself). Expect to grow in your role as well. The seat you start in may not be the seat you end up in. In fact, it likely won't be. Scribe hires first and foremost for the right people. As your knowledge and experience grow within the company, you are encouraged to chart your own path, which often means designing the role that best suits you and the tribe. Finally, the work itself is dynamic and exciting. No matter your role in the company, you get to work with people who want nothing less than to positively impact the world, and you get to be a part of that. As a Manuscript Creative in particular, you are the leading voice in guiding an author's creative and intellectual vision. This is personal work that leads to strong connections and a deep sense of satisfaction when their books are published.

Cons

The following aren't cons—these are reasons I love working for the company—but they're also traits that aren't for everyone. Scribe moves quickly and changes often. If you like learning a role and then performing that role for several years, this isn't the environment for you. Scribe challenges you. Tribe members are encouraged to tell the truth, to challenge assumptions, and to expect excellence from each other. Yes, they are supportive in how they do it, but this is not the kind of culture where you can hide in the background and do your job. Whatever your role, you are expected to conduct yourself as a leader in that that role. There is a lot to do. Scribe is a young and growing company. It encourages you to manage your time and to set boundaries with what you take on, but if you're not good at doing that, you can easily end up taking on too much and feeling in over your head. The good news is that, if that happens, they're there to pull you out of the weeds and coach you up.

7. "Working at Scribe has been the best decision I've ever made both personally and professionally"

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

- They truly care about YOU. You're not just a cog in a machine. - You have full autonomy over your time - You get to work with some incredible people who have a wealth of knowledge in business and life - Your personal and professional development is a priority - Helping people write their book and spread knowledge that positively impacts other people is incredibly fulfilling

Cons

- I honestly can't think of one aside from not owning equity in this company ;)

8. "Working at Scribe truly feels like being home"

Current Employee - Publishing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

I took a leap of faith and left a career I thought I'd be in forever to come to Scribe and I haven't regretted it a single day. The work is challenging and rewarding. Working with authors to help them get their ideas out into the world is a fulfilling job in itself, but working specifically at Scribe is something else altogether. I've never felt more safe, valued, or seen at any other company or job. We have SO much coaching, support and guidance that it's impossible to stay here long without experiencing tremendous personal and professional growth. Every single thing you've read about the culture is absolutely real. People are valued above all else here, and that means everyone. Most companies put their bottom line above everything, sacrificing the trust and respect of their employees to keep customers happy, which is the furthest thing from the truth here. This Tribe is full of the most interesting, intelligent, supportive and talented people I've ever met. I've experienced more growth in myself in the one year I've been here than in the whole of my career leading up to Scribe. I'm proud of the work I do every day, which is something I certainly haven't felt anywhere else.

Cons

There are no drawbacks/cons, just some words of truth here. The work is hard. We're all expected to do our very best and rise to the occasion each and every day. You'll have more coaching and support than you could ever need, but if you're looking for something that is predictable or easy, this isn't it. This company is for people who are constantly looking to grow and lift everyone else up with them.

9. COVID-19

"Do Right By People Guides All Decisions"

Current Employee - People and Recruitment Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Our Values and Principles in our Culture Bible are not just words on paper or corporate crap speak. They are in action all day. We all believe in and reference them. We discuss them openly, we examine them, we push them to their limits and then push more! And we do this together, as a Tribe. Our number #1 Value is People and our #2 Principle is Do Right By People. Before any decision is made -- Tribe-related, Author-related, Vendor-related, doesn't matter -- every Tribe member asks the question of themselves or each other "Does this decision Do Right By People"? When COVID hit, our CEO JeVon and the entire executive team stepped up in a way I had never experienced before in a workplace. Well before the state, county, or city made any decisions it was determined that closing the office and moving to all remote situation was doing right by people. They pulled us all together on Slack and started an open and fluid brainstorming session asking how can we cut costs, how can increase revenue, how can we give back right now, and how can we come out of a virus disruption not at the same place prior, but in an even better position. Every single Tribe member contributed over the course of a weekend, and the responses highlighted how deeply we all embody every one of our Values and Principles. We take action quickly, we move fast. The brainstorming led to instant decisions and changes. No time was wasted in a wishy-washy lack of action. JeVon held an all-hands call immediately and reassured us that not one Tribe member would be laid off as a result of the virus disruption. We all believed and trusted his words because Principle #5 is Tell your Tribe the Truth. We organically switched to totally remote without any hiccups. No one has been laid off as a result of the virus, and 5 months into the disruption and we have positions open that will increase our Tribe size by +15%! As I watch friends and loved ones feel in the dark at their workplaces right now -- not knowing what's next, losing their jobs, and generally treated awfully in the process I know that type of behavior would never happen here. I'm so very grateful for Scribe and for truly living out it's Values and Principles.

Cons

It's not for everyone. There are many people that believe they want to be in a situation where they get to determine how and when to work, and plan and drive their own initiatives forward but once they have it they realize they more suited to a clock in and clock out and you're done type of an environment. Accountability is everything. You will always be told the truth. Some Tribe members are faced with tough feedback that's not easy to hear or take in and can cause a fork in the road-- leave the Tribe and move on elsewhere and continue to foster your existing narratives you hold about yourself, or lean into the feedback and shatter those narratives and excel. But, if you trust the Tribe and lean in, they will be there to support your growth, just like you'll be supporting other Tribe members in their growth.

10. COVID-19

"Best place I've ever worked, and will ever work"

Current Employee - Head of Multimedia in Denver, CO

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people are the best. I've never felt so supported. We are truly a TRIBE of big-hearted high-achievers, who all push ourselves to do amazing work (and then acknowledge and celebrate each other's efforts). But more than that, we value each other as human beings -- who all have each other's backs whenever we have to deal with challenging emotions and messy lives. - Strong, healthy work culture. If you're thinking about joining the team, read the Scribe Culture Bible (Google it). You'll see how much thought and care went into creating an environment where everyone can be their best selves, do their best work, and create the best results for the authors. - Meaningful work! As a company, we get to help people unlock their wisdom and turn it into a book. We've helped over 1,600 authors publish their books, including people live David Goggins and Tiffany Haddish. We just launched Scribe Book School, and have helped 20,000 people -- FOR FREE -- get started on their books. - Fun work! On a personal level, my role is getting to do what I love. Fortunately for me, it feels like I get to practice and master a craft each day while working with people I admire. It feels like I'm in the perfect intersection of "do what you love, what you're good at, and what people value." - Flexible work schedule. Even in a post-pandemic COVID-19 world, we've retained our incredible work culture, where our tribe members still get amazing results while working wherever they please. - Incredible leadership. Our CEO, JeVon McCormick, is a business genius and a wonderful human being, who always asks how we are doing as PEOPLE first. He often emphasizes that we work WITH him (not for him), that we are tribe members (not employees), that we have direct support (not managers). - Success while other businesses were shuttering. Our leadership was totally transparent every step of the way during the coronavirus, making sure everyone understood all the changes we needed to make. The amazing part? We flourished, immediately. We've all worked from home for the past four months, and we had ZERO LAYOFFS, ZERO SALARY CUTS, and some of our most profitable months in the history of the company. This is a testament to everyone at Scribe, especially leadership and our finance department. Not many companies can say that! There's so much more I can say -- benefits, how we care for our freelancers, our dialed in processes, salary transparency, our mentoring program (Whole Self), our awesome summits, working at the office in Austin -- but I'll leave you with a personal story... About a year after I'd joined the company, I asked to have a personal meeting with our CEO, JeVon. I wanted to ask for his advice on how to get out of $30,000 worth of credit card debt (an embarrassing problem that had hung over my head for years). He sat with me and offered his personal advice, which he'd used to get himself out of debt many years prior. Six months later, I was free and had paid off all of my debts. Scribe has been so much more than just a job. It's allowed me to do some of my greatest work, to earn a living doing what I love, to start a family, to buy a house, to create a life that we are all really proud of. I'm blessed to be a part of Scribe. We all feel that way.

Cons

- If you're not an A-player, you'll struggle here. You're surrounded by people who are truly excellent at what they do, who desperately want more A-players on the team. - If you're not willing to be vulnerable, or you feel uncomfortable with people being human and emotional in the workplace, don't work here.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 35 English Reviews