KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 40 of over 77 reviews

4.5
Scribe Media President and CEO JeVon (JT) McCormick
JeVon (JT) McCormick
Pros
  • "The authors I've worked with have become friends(in 16 reviews)

• "Several Tribe Members are successful (some are even ridiculously successful) by however you want to define the word(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No company is perfect and Scribe understands that(in 16 reviews)

• "We’re constantly experiencing growing pains(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Lived Up To The Hype! Wouldn't Want To Be Anywhere Else

Jul 22, 2021 - Business Development Coordinator in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Where do I start? Scribe's number one value is people and it shows. My entire interview process was straightforward and I felt informed every step of the way. The onboarding process was delightful and I was able to start adding value to the company during the first week (which was very exciting for me). My direct supports took time out of their busy schedules to ask me what I needed to feel secure and supported at work, and I could tell they took everything I said to heart. There is no micromanagement and there is a belief that you are able to handle your tasks. I highly highly recommend accepting your offer - I can't remember the last time I was truly excited to go to work.

Cons

None that I can think of. The Tribe has been incredibly welcoming and has lived up to everything promised in the Culture Bible

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliant, Unique, Exciting Place to Be!

Jan 7, 2021 - Director of Author Marketing in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in a number of different environments--corporate, academic, public sector--and I haven't found a culture like Scribe's anywhere else! Tribe members are so smart, so passionate and so aware, they raise your game instantly just through day-to-day interactions. Never before have I experienced this level of collaboration and grace given for honest mistakes that come about as a function of creating, building, and moving rapidly. I'm confident that any idea I have will be made 10X better through discussion with the tribe and execution of that shared idea 10X faster. It's a very special, supportive group of people who accomplish great things together. The potential of this place is truly limitless, so it's a great place to be if that excites you. It's what I've been searching for!

Cons

The only Con I can share has more to do with the circumstances of the pandemic. The Scribe culture is so unique and supportive, but to get the full experience, you need to be in person with the tribe--one reason JeVon feels strongly that full time employees should be local to Austin, and I agree. I haven't been with Scribe long, so I haven't really been able to experience full-on tribe goodness due to COVID-related protocols.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Company Culture Doesn't Deliver - Profit > People

Jul 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The majority of their employees are genuinely kind and intelligent -100% paid healthcare options -They are putting a lot of work into improving and nurturing diversity

Cons

-Salaries are on the very low end, which is disappointing considering Scribe is a profitable company and the cost of living in Austin is exponentially increasing by the day. They are also slow and stubborn to award raises. Expect long delays, carrot dangling, and unrealistic paths with moving goalposts. -Micromanagement (some roles don't seem to experience this, though), rapidly shifting priorities and expectations, poor organization and execution. -One member of the executive team is infamous for disrespecting and talking down to the employees. Management seemed too fearful to confront this person's behavior. -There was one firing every two months during my time there, which is a lot for such a small company (roughly 7-8% of the full-time staff by my calculations). These dismissals provoked a degree of fear and insecurity internally. -They claimed to be remote-friendly, but there was always pressure to work from the office (most opted to go mask-less), even during the height of the pandemic. This resulted in a Covid outbreak or two. -Susceptibility to burnout due to start-up mentality, high volume of clients, and high internal revenue growth expectations. -There was a lot of emphasis on the "profit share" benefit during my interview process. When I joined, I found out the quarterly profit share had only been paid out only once. It was paid out again once more during my time there (a small sum). After a record-breaking profitable quarter, the CEO announced that they would be restructuring the profit share to a "performance-based bonus," which was to be paid out only once per year going forward, We never saw any money from that record-breaking quarter and the new bonus structure was weak, to say the least. -Long story short, the experience of working at Scribe did not align with the respectful, trusting, people-first culture I was told to expect when I signed on.

16 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

I have been working at Scribe for less than a year.

May 31, 2021 - Author Marketing Coordinator in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The environment at Scribe Media encourages excellence and passion in the work that you do. Everyone is bringing their best to the table, setting the bar for my own work expectations.

Cons

No company is perfect and Scribe understands that. As the company continues to grow employees are actively encouraged to bring awareness to anything that needs to be done better or more efficiently.

5. 5.0

They Mean What They Say

Apr 27, 2021 - Publishing Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful onboarding experience, plenty of hands-on training and shadowing, lovely facility. You're surrounded by friendly and talented people all day, and given everything you need to succeed.

Cons

Scribe is working against the grain when it comes to workplace culture: putting people first. It takes a minute to orient yourself and really trust the process, but it's worth it!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that lets you grow into your strengths

Oct 28, 2020 - Communications Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience with Scribe so far has been unbelievable. I've never worked for a company that's allowed me to lean into my strengths and create the role I want. I feel supported and encouraged by my direct support to lean into new, unfamiliar territory that sparks my interest. Usually around the 2-year mark with a company, I start to feel restless and bored and BOY is that so far from the case with Scribe. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of the career path I'm able to build here.

Cons

There is no hand-holding at Scribe. I wouldn't call that a con, but it's not for everybody. To succeed at Scribe, you truly need to be a self-starter, be unafraid to be seen and put yourself out there.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

There's nothing else like it!

Feb 9, 2021 - Publishing Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-intelligent, empathetic leadership -focus on the whole self -encouragement for questioning and seeking help -unbelievably supportive -every day is exciting and different!

Cons

None, really! And even if I did have any issues at Scribe, I would be encouraged to bring them to my direct supports, who would listen and problem-solve with me.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

A company worth moving across the country for

Oct 19, 2020 - Senior Manuscript Creative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was a freelancer for Scribe for three years before joining the company full-time. To do that, I had to move my family halfway across the country—and I don't regret that choice for a second. Scribe has designed a workplace that is both heavy on autonomy and heavy on feedback. You have every opportunity to customize your workday and your workflow to how you prefer to operate, but you're also encouraged (and supported) to constantly evaluate how you approach your work, how you communicate with others, and how you manage projects. I've learned more about how to manage my time in six months than I had learned in the previous five years! This is just one aspect of Scribe's people-first culture. The company's "whole self" philosophy encourages you to examine all aspects of your life (work, relationships, and self), and create an aligned, activated self. This is just as important a part of your job as your daily workload. Expect to grow in ways that surprise you (and in ways that will make you super proud of yourself). Expect to grow in your role as well. The seat you start in may not be the seat you end up in. In fact, it likely won't be. Scribe hires first and foremost for the right people. As your knowledge and experience grow within the company, you are encouraged to chart your own path, which often means designing the role that best suits you and the tribe. Finally, the work itself is dynamic and exciting. No matter your role in the company, you get to work with people who want nothing less than to positively impact the world, and you get to be a part of that. As a Manuscript Creative in particular, you are the leading voice in guiding an author's creative and intellectual vision. This is personal work that leads to strong connections and a deep sense of satisfaction when their books are published.

Cons

The following aren't cons—these are reasons I love working for the company—but they're also traits that aren't for everyone. Scribe moves quickly and changes often. If you like learning a role and then performing that role for several years, this isn't the environment for you. Scribe challenges you. Tribe members are encouraged to tell the truth, to challenge assumptions, and to expect excellence from each other. Yes, they are supportive in how they do it, but this is not the kind of culture where you can hide in the background and do your job. Whatever your role, you are expected to conduct yourself as a leader in that that role. There is a lot to do. Scribe is a young and growing company. It encourages you to manage your time and to set boundaries with what you take on, but if you're not good at doing that, you can easily end up taking on too much and feeling in over your head. The good news is that, if that happens, they're there to pull you out of the weeds and coach you up.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Culture Is the Secret Sauce

May 15, 2020 - Editor-In-Chief in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture of this company is its greatest strength. When the coronavirus hit, we all went virtual -- and still launched an entirely new product line in two weeks. Within a month that line was responsible for 20% of our revenue. That doesn't happen at a firm that doesn't have everyone pulling together. The cultural and social cohesion that allows us to thrive is the result of ongoing, daily work around our principles and values. We are relentless at keeping ourselves honest in regard to those values. They are trump cards that any tribe member can and does use in any conversation to make sure all of us, regardless of whether we are a new hire or a founder, live by our principles. And we actually do it. I've been in the working world for many decades, and I've never seen anything like this.

Cons

I'm a partisan -- I've been with Scribe almost since it was founded. I will say this: getting hired here is hard, because we hire for culture fit. If you try to fake it, you will be found out.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Could not imagine working for a better company

Jan 6, 2021 - Author Marketing Strategist in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Incredible paid time off -Whole Self Program -Amazing leadership -Career & Personal growth opportunities -Profit share -Great benefits (free medical, dental, vision)

Cons

We're currently remote so we can't work from the amazing office and with other awesome co-workers

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 Reviews

Scribe Media Reviews FAQs

86% of Scribe Media employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Scribe Media 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Scribe Media to be benefits, career development, senior leadership and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with Scribe Media Job Seekers