Scribe Media Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Scribe Media President and CEO JT McCormick
JT McCormick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I didn't believe all the hype either, until I experienced it for myself."

Current Employee - Publishing Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Publishing Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are too many to mention them all. Meaningful work, set your own schedule, free healthcare, remote working, However, the Tribe (we don't have employees) is the #1 Pro in my mind. From the moment you walk in as a new hire, you are treated like you've been part of the Tribe for years. Everyone actually cares about everyone else, takes an active interest in each other's lives and honestly want to help each other be better people all around. JT (the CEO) is simultaneously the most humble example of servant leadership I've ever seen, while somehow also being the hardest working hustler since Ray Kroc.

The second biggest pro is that you are treated like an adult. No looking over your shoulder or arbitrary rules to follow, just get your work done and be an adult and you'll be treated like one. You can have honest conversations, be your real and whole self, take time for family and hobbies, etc without anyone thinking less of you; the contrary in fact.

In my time here so far, BIAB has so exceeded my already high expectations it's hard to even put into words. It took almost a month before I stopped looking for the "other shoe to drop", but it never did! This place is actually as amazing as it seems looking in from the outside, better actually! Everyone here is absolutely stellar and if you get the chance to even meet anyone from BIAB you'll be better off for it, I'm still in shock that I get to surround myself with them every day.

Cons

I think if you are the right fit you won't really find any "cons", but I think there are a lot of things that might be considered a con by those considering applying. The two pros I mentioned above can be cons if you are the kind of person that likes to "fly under the radar" or "rest and vest", you'll find none of that here.
    If you are insecure and like to be told you are better than you really are, you won't like it here. Everyone here is a superstar, literally everyone! I feel like the least accomplished person in the room every day, but I love it because I get to learn from these people too. You'll be told your strengths and weaknesses honestly in a way that helps you grow, but if you don't like hearing about what you can improve on, it could be a con. Also, you must hold yourself accountable. There is no schedule, time cards, etc to keep you on task, you are expected to be able to handle your responsibilities and manage your own schedule. If you have a challenging time self-motivating or stay focused, you’ll have a tough time.

Advice to Management

Nothing we haven't already talked about! That's another pro, being able to talk directly with the CEO, one that actually values your input.

2. "I Heart This Company"

Current Employee - Manuscript Creative in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Manuscript Creative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of companies are figuring out the "right" things to say to draw in candidates who want to feel valued, have a voice, and have a job in which they can work toward self-actualization. I don't know one company--either in my own experience or that of my friends--that actually lives up to that. Book in a Box is the exception. Culture is almost like a religion here, and the people within the company are recognized as the unique individuals they are. You are expected to bring your whole self to work. You have a voice that matters. You are encouraged to realize your full potential. You are part of something bigger than yourself. Not only that, but everyone who works here is really freaking good at what they do, which means you can be really proud of and stand behind what you're putting out into the world. As if that's not enough, the people here are hilarious to boot. Work hard, laugh hard.

Cons

I honestly don't have any at this point.

"AMAZING - my dream company and career"

Current Employee - Publishing Manager
    Current Employee - Publishing Manager

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to collaborate with amazing people doing incredible things; all while changing people's lives. You get to make an impact. You're constantly supported, challenged, and encouraged to grow and learn in every way...I didn't think that sort of place existed. But it does. And it's here. I love waking up each day and knowing that I will have a day full of critical thinking, creativity, laughter and support. I am grateful every day that this is the place I'm lucky enough to work, and these are the people I'm lucky enough to work alongside.

Cons

It's fast paced and exciting. If you prefer not to have that in your career, this probably isn't the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the constant support and inspiration. Keep it up! :)

"A Dream Job At A Dream Company"

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time

Pros

People care. You can learn as much as you want. The ceiling seems unlimited. Amazing benefits. You're treated like an adult - no micromanaging at all.

Basically, there's a high-performance environment that helps you grow and thrive - without any of the BS that comes with most companies.

Cons

If you aren't willing to take direct and honest feedback and change your actions accordingly, you won't like it here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!! It's working very well.

"The only organization of its kind, & not for the faint of heart"

Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Book in a Box is a fast-growth startup, lead by a highly-credentialed and personable CEO, JT McCormick, and two co-founders, Zach and Tucker that are the absolute best in class at scaling a company and providing the absolute best possible experience in the industry to our authors and tribe members.

The entire team is called a tribe, as we are self-governed by a tightly woven culture - not a mission statement or a set of "values" written on the wall. The tribe itself is composed of some of the most talented, humble and hardest working people, bar none.

The company holds no debt, receives no outside funding and has no investors (on purpose) and the company is structured in a way so it can stay focused on its core mission - not on quarterly earnings. There is zero doubt the company will join the unicorn club of startups within 10 years, at most.

Cons

There's always a problem, issue or glitch to solve that you can't search Google to find a solution for. We're literally building the foundation of something bigger than the sum of all of us, which is not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep hustling hard and stay humble.

"I'm 31 years old, and I might actually retire at this company"

Current Employee - Head of Author Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Head of Author Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We are a tribe. This is not a company where you don't really know anyone, where you're living in fear of getting backstabbed or fired arbitrarily. We are here to fully support one another, not just in work, but in ALL aspects of our lives. We share what our strengths and obstacles are, and help each other get to where we want to go.

Off the charts intelligence (both mental and emotional). The people working at this company are not only brilliant, they are also emotionally in-touch with themselves and others. We all care about how the others feel, and want to keep each other happy.

You will work with amazing clients. Authors are some of the most interesting people in the world. They want to write books because they have great ideas and unforgettable stories. I regularly have life-changing, life-improving conversations with our clients.

Long-term vision. The founders and CEO are 100% deadset on growing this into a $1 billion company. JT says that it upsets him how often Millennials think they need to change jobs every few years to pad their resume. He believes that, if you love the work you're doing and the people you're working with, you should be able to retire at Book In A Box.

You can work however you want. I have a wife, a new baby daughter, and two dogs. There are days that, for the sake of my family, I just can't go into work. With Book In A Box, this is never an issue. In fact, no one cares when you show up or how often you're in the office. We WANT you to be here, but you don't have to if you have other things going on that you need to tend to.

There are many others, but those are the big ones for me.

Cons

If you need structure, this job will be tough. We expect people to know the skill set they've been hired for, to do their job well, and get results.

"Where careers begin"

Current Employee - Publisher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Publisher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of companies talk about culture, but then simply refer to a framed list of tenets hung on the wall after you've signed on. Not Book In A Box. By the end of my orientation, I discovered how seriously this company took the notion of hiring for culture first, skillset second. I've never felt more at home, nor have I ever truly felt I was pursuing a career until I joined BIAB.

Cons

The only "downside" is that everything happens at startup speed. Change in processes is frequent, but always for the better. Not a con for those not averse to rapid change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"An environment designed for professional and personal growth"

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time

Pros

I've never had more control over my own work and my own schedule. This company is truly results-oriented, and each of us is trusted to step up, innovate, and design the way we want to work. Questions are valued and encouraged, and challenges are tackled with collaboration across all levels. Mentorship is available at all levels, and the CEO and founders are consistently available for anyone's needs, professional or personal. This company is fully transparent, whether it comes to schedules, financials, process, or departmental discussion, making it a true learning environment.

Cons

This company does not use the standard operating procedure at work at a lot of corporations--which is not a downside, actually--but it can take some time for assumptions about rules and chains of command to wear off. In this demanding work environment, each individual is expected to step up and take full ownership of their work. As a start up, it's also a fast-paced and fast-changing environment. We're at this company because we crave learning and efficiency!

Advice to Management

It's funny; at previous companies I might be tempted to leave an anonymous comment here that I was too afraid to bring up in person. Not so at this company. Any advice for change has already been brought up for consideration; that's how we operate here.

"The most extraordinary experience of my career"

Current Employee - Head of Outlines in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Head of Outlines in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Scribe Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an intense, challenging, deeply empowering place to work. Our leadership says they are going to build a billion-dollar company, and I have every confidence that we will. I say "we" because I know I am an integral part of that effort, expected to lean in, act like an owner, challenge anyone, bring my whole self to the game every day, level up constantly, continue to learn and evolve, engage in difficult forms of growth, think BIG, and constantly improve. The touchstone of this company is our "culture doc," a living, public testament to what we're about and something that all of us in the tribe live and breathe. I am passionate in my defense of it, and so is everyone else in the tribe—it's the primary reason we hire so carefully. We hire for culture first and foremost—skills matter, but not as much as fit.

It is thrilling to be part of a rapidly-growing enterprise, and deeply empowering to be surrounded by—and expected to exhibit—a culture of abundance and generosity. I have the best alignment I have ever had between my work and my professional values.

Financially, the company is run on an open-book basis with a clear profit-sharing system that means we don't just act as owners; we have skin in the game.

Cons

This is not a place for anyone looking to cruise or to "get by." This is no sinecure. This is a learning environment, and sometimes it's a very harsh one. This place can be emotionally intense. Because the culture includes the idea of constant improvement, that means constant change. Systems, processes and jobs change repeatedly. If you do not have a growth mindset you will not thrive here. If you cannot be honest, and accept honesty and directness, you will not thrive here. This is a place that values "the difficult conversation." Many people would consider these negatives, and while I don't, I do know that they require adjustment, especially if you're coming from a corporate environment.

Advice to Management

Hustle never sleeps!

"Don't join if you have any standards or high morals"

I worked at Scribe Media full-time

Pros

Some of the authors are really nice and great to work with

Cons

You are totally overworked. Some of the managers are nice, others seem afraid you'll steal their job from them so they keep their distance and are not willing to help you. The worst part of the job for me was listening to or reading about co-founder Tucker Max who is a real pig.

Advice to Management

Hire people who have high integrity and strong moral principles.