KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Scribendi Reviews

Updated May 14, 2022

Found 35 of over 100 reviews

3.3
Scribendi President Patricia Riopel  (no image)
Patricia Riopel

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Free training resources(in 8 reviews)
  • "The staff is friendly; the application process is straightforward and transparent; and the website where you pick up and return your gigs is user(in 5 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours(in 4 reviews)
  • "There is a positive focus now on working with and developing people.(in 4 reviews)
  • "1. Flexible scheduling (whether for remote employees or office employees)(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "Pay is low for the amount of work(in 15 reviews)
  • "No benefits since it is independent contracting(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Great Job

Apr 27, 2021 - Support Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive and fair salary and benefits

Cons

Can get busy at times

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee

love the company but hardly any work available

Feb 23, 2022 - Freelance Editor and Proofreader in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

it's a smart and fair company

Cons

there is hardly any work available; it seems they have hired (way) too many editors

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Broken QA system

Jan 14, 2022 - Editor in Canada, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is flexible There is a high work volume Excellent editing software, which is free for contracted freelancers

Cons

The QA system until recently was based too much on the mood or attitude of the QA agent or the manager you would appeal to. It's like a game. The QA agent fails you over petty stuff; then, you apply to the QA manager, who reverses it if he is in a good mood. The QA agent grading your work struggles to understand how "the" should be used and ignores technical word usage. Rate of pay standard, but still too low based on demands and length of time given to complete orders.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A good job for supplemental income

Jul 28, 2021 - Freelance Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work opportunities for freelancers Free training resources Freelancers can choose their own schedules and workload

Cons

They're weirdly serious about making everyone sign a three-year non-compete agreement, which seems excessive and unfair to freelancers. They aren't even hiring in American states that won't enforce it anymore. Remote editors are kept anonymous from each other, which makes for a weird experience on the forums since everyone knows each other by their four-digit identifier instead of just a pseudonym or something. The in-house folks take every opportunity to remind freelancers that they aren't technically employees of the company. When my current employer needed to verify that I was freelancing for Scribendi, I had to convince the freelance rep to stop screening their calls because I "was only a contractor."

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0

Freelance Editor

Mar 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I liked the flexible hours and great training.

Cons

The expectations are unrealistic and the timeframes are exceedingly tight. At most the time allows for a simple grammar check. But the expectation is that you also provide extensive comments and suggestions for improving the writing. If you don’t, you have to do it again or risk no pay. As the editor, you’re under so much pressure just to get through the doc. once and get it back on time, that you hardly have time to go back and check your work. Plus, they pay about half the rate you would get if you got the work on your own. It’s a editing sweatshop.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Take, take, take. Give, give, give.

Mar 16, 2020 - Freelance Copy Editor in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

For editors who can't find work otherwise, or who want to earn a tiny bit of supplementary income in the evening when they'd rather be spending time with their family, the Scribendi platform connects them with short-term editing projects they wouldn't otherwise have access to. For EFL students who don't want to actually do the work of learning English, or for university students incapable of writing grammatically correct sentences but who feel they should be given a degree anyway, the Scribendi platform offers an inexpensive way out of doing the hard work of studying and applying learned knowledge to a task they'd rather not be bothered with.

Cons

I will say this: you are required to go through a THREE-HOUR online "test" for them to consider allowing you onto their platform to take on projects you won't have enough time to complete, for clients who'll pass their EFL course because YOU wrote their essays, for what will end up being a third of the salary you thought you'd make..

26 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Editing as assembly line work

Mar 28, 2016 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Yes, editors can work when they want, but the writing they must edit is so terrible and the pay so little, that the freedom is not worth it.

Cons

Thanks to Scribendi, hundreds of students who can barely write a sentence are getting advanced degrees because they have their papers rewritten by Scribendi editors. You can make a living wage if you can work 8-10 straight hours every day and, thus, do one-day turnaround jobs. But I am a caregiver, so I could not take any jobs that had to be returned in fewer than 5 days. As a result, the most I ever made for an edit was $8/hour, but I averaged $5/hour. For one two-page document that took me 30 minutes to edit, I made $3.25. I was a teacher, so I liked to explain why an edit was necessary. In one of my Quality Assurance checks, I had points taken away for this and was told, "Don't explain how to fix it, just fix it." So the writer, in other words, learns nothing. Many editors obviously pander for positive feedback, which is just sad.

50 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place for remote work

Feb 4, 2015 - Freelance Editor in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started in October of 2014, editing remotely. I've been impressed with Scribendi's professionalism from the beginning - everything is well organized and I've learned a tremendous amount through working here. Feedback from both clients and internal review comes frequently, and they keep you on your toes. I could see that if you were not a top-notch editor, things could go downhill for you quickly, but it seems that they are quite rigorous in their hiring practices to get good editors in the first place. The pay is good - it depends on how rough the English is on the assignments you get - but you have 20 minutes to decline an order if it seems like it will not be worth the effort. Overall I'm averaging about $20/hour, although the first month was a little below that.

Cons

None that I can think of.

22 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Copy Editor/Proofreader

May 14, 2018 - Copy Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They helped me transition from medical transcription to proofing/copy editing

Cons

They contacted me 11 months after I'd submitted a resume. They were fine with my work when they were a little Mom&Pop shop, but then they applied for all these accreditations and my Editor number (#8) didn't look good. They were looking for a constant turnover of editors and, years after I'd been working for them, they introduced training. I aced the training, even finding typos that the "experts" had missed. Then they introduced a QA department that docked editors for such nonsense as "US writers don't use 'hence'; they use 'thus.' Only UK writers use 'hence." They kept picking at me and picking at me until I felt as if there was some chirpy little QA person watching over my shoulder. In short, I'd been there too long. Eventually they told me I no longer fit their business model, and I was dismissed.

30 people found this review helpful

Scribendi Response

Hello, and thanks for your feedback. We are glad that you were able to enter the editing industry through Scribendi. However, we are sorry to hear that you felt as though you were let go as a result of a changing business model. We never seek editor turnover, as we do value our freelancers; our core group of experienced freelance editors is the backbone of the company. In addition, while the quality system can sometimes seem tough, we find our quality system to be vital, as it ensures that we consistently provide value to our clients. We constantly strive to ensure that our quality system is fair, and we have a review system in place to handle any concerns. Transparency and accountability are key aims of the current administration.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good for the part-time worker.

Jun 16, 2017 - Remote Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility. Large variety of work. Excellent in-house staff and management who treat their remote editors with the respect and the attention they need.

Cons

You must be fast to earn a decent income. Unfortunately, many of the documents that you begin with barely past muster and require very careful attention and substantive edits. Until you reach a certain rating and/or average QA score, you'll be stuck with ESL and technical documents regardless of your credentials or background.

25 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 35 Reviews

Scribendi Reviews FAQs

Scribendi has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 100 reviews left anonymously by employees. 54% of employees would recommend working at Scribendi to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Scribendi employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Scribendi. This rating has improved by 8% over the last 12 months.

54% of Scribendi employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Scribendi 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 2.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Scribendi to be management, career development, culture and the cons to be workplace, benefits, compensation.

Popular Careers with Scribendi Job Seekers