KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Scribendi Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2021

Found 26 of over 79 reviews

2.7
Scribendi President Patricia Riopel  (no image)
Patricia Riopel
Pros
  • "high standards for entry and quality (the editing test is hard)(in 27 reviews)

• "The other remote editors were very friendly and supportive in the forums(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If an editor can't stay above an 80 average, you get stuck in the ESL dungeon(in 10 reviews)

• "If you cannot manage to edit 6000(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great Job

Apr 27, 2021 - Support Worker
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive and fair salary and benefits

Cons

Can get busy at times

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 2.0

Freelance Editor

Mar 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I liked the flexible hours and great training.

Cons

The expectations are unrealistic and the timeframes are exceedingly tight. At most the time allows for a simple grammar check. But the expectation is that you also provide extensive comments and suggestions for improving the writing. If you don’t, you have to do it again or risk no pay. As the editor, you’re under so much pressure just to get through the doc. once and get it back on time, that you hardly have time to go back and check your work. Plus, they pay about half the rate you would get if you got the work on your own. It’s a editing sweatshop.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Take, take, take. Give, give, give.

Mar 16, 2020 - Freelance Copy Editor in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

For editors who can't find work otherwise, or who want to earn a tiny bit of supplementary income in the evening when they'd rather be spending time with their family, the Scribendi platform connects them with short-term editing projects they wouldn't otherwise have access to. For EFL students who don't want to actually do the work of learning English, or for university students incapable of writing grammatically correct sentences but who feel they should be given a degree anyway, the Scribendi platform offers an inexpensive way out of doing the hard work of studying and applying learned knowledge to a task they'd rather not be bothered with.

Cons

I will say this: you are required to go through a THREE-HOUR online "test" for them to consider allowing you onto their platform to take on projects you won't have enough time to complete, for clients who'll pass their EFL course because YOU wrote their essays, for what will end up being a third of the salary you thought you'd make..

19 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Editing as assembly line work

Mar 28, 2016 - Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Yes, editors can work when they want, but the writing they must edit is so terrible and the pay so little, that the freedom is not worth it.

Cons

Thanks to Scribendi, hundreds of students who can barely write a sentence are getting advanced degrees because they have their papers rewritten by Scribendi editors. You can make a living wage if you can work 8-10 straight hours every day and, thus, do one-day turnaround jobs. But I am a caregiver, so I could not take any jobs that had to be returned in fewer than 5 days. As a result, the most I ever made for an edit was $8/hour, but I averaged $5/hour. For one two-page document that took me 30 minutes to edit, I made $3.25. I was a teacher, so I liked to explain why an edit was necessary. In one of my Quality Assurance checks, I had points taken away for this and was told, "Don't explain how to fix it, just fix it." So the writer, in other words, learns nothing. Many editors obviously pander for positive feedback, which is just sad.

48 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place for remote work

Feb 4, 2015 - Freelance Editor in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started in October of 2014, editing remotely. I've been impressed with Scribendi's professionalism from the beginning - everything is well organized and I've learned a tremendous amount through working here. Feedback from both clients and internal review comes frequently, and they keep you on your toes. I could see that if you were not a top-notch editor, things could go downhill for you quickly, but it seems that they are quite rigorous in their hiring practices to get good editors in the first place. The pay is good - it depends on how rough the English is on the assignments you get - but you have 20 minutes to decline an order if it seems like it will not be worth the effort. Overall I'm averaging about $20/hour, although the first month was a little below that.

Cons

None that I can think of.

21 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee

Flexible job with low pay and decreasing availability of work.

Feb 28, 2015 - Editor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I like being able to pick up as much or as little work as I want. Editors have access to a board of jobs that they can view and accept if they so choose. I also like how I can work from home and take a week off if I have other commitments in real life or at my other jobs. The pay rate is based partially on the turnaround time of the jobs and partially on the number of words contained in the document. Sometimes I can pick up a job that pays 2 or even 3 cents a word, but those are getting harder and harder to find. I have been with Scribendi for the last three years, and I have found myself looking for other jobs to supplement my income because I can no longer depend on making what I used to each month.

Cons

The pay is low. Most of the jobs are ESL writers so they take much longer than expected, especially if they are highly technical. I average about 1 cent per word here. That is a terrible rate. Scribendi also has a policy where editors must do 10,000 words each calendar month to remain active. If you don't, your account is deactivated. For the past six months or so, there has been little work available. With so many remote editors looking for jobs, you have to get online at all hours of the night to find a $10 order and hope that it isn't due in 6 hours. I also feel that the customer service department is more likely to side with the clients instead of the editors if the clients have questions or complaints. It's a difficult situation when your client doesn't speak English as his or her first language yet the quality of your editing is questioned and Scribendi forces you to redo the order (or not get paid at all) without even allowing you to address the client's concerns. I do not feel like a valued employee here; I feel like a number who can be easily replaced. The worst part is that Scribendi keeps about 50% of what they charge the client, so if I get $100 for an order, Scribendi also gets that amount. That is a large commission. The turnaround times on orders are too short. I usually feel as though if I just had another hour, I could do a much better job. Scribendi allows customers to choose 8-hour, 12-hour, 24-hour, 48-hour, 72-hour or 1- or 2-week turnaround times, but the editors have a deadline that is shorter than that. For example, an 8-hour order shows up as only 6 hours remaining as soon as it's posted. While this is a great policy for client satisfaction because clients feel as though they get their work back early, it's terrible for editors who already are working second or third jobs or have family responsibilities. I have to pass up many orders because I know I won't have time to do them adequately because the deadline is too soon. I think Scribendi could avoid a lot of complaints by rewarding editors who turn things in early but not rushing the jobs across the board and trading quality for saving a few hours.

47 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0

Remote editor

Aug 1, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a work-from-home position that provides a lot of flexibility. Scribendi provides extensive (but essentially unpaid) training that covers grammar, editing, proofreading, and more. Remote editors have the ability to choose their assignments, and there are typically quite a few assignments available.

Cons

The pay is project-based and is usually absurdly low. Most projects are from ESL writers, and many take a very long time to complete. I tend to earn between $15-20/hour, but more difficult projects reduce that rate. Scribendi offers "karma," which is basically a $0.05-$1 boost to assignments that aren't getting picked up. Woohoo, an extra five cents?! It's insulting.

34 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Copy Editor/Proofreader

May 14, 2018 - Copy Editor in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They helped me transition from medical transcription to proofing/copy editing

Cons

They contacted me 11 months after I'd submitted a resume. They were fine with my work when they were a little Mom&Pop shop, but then they applied for all these accreditations and my Editor number (#8) didn't look good. They were looking for a constant turnover of editors and, years after I'd been working for them, they introduced training. I aced the training, even finding typos that the "experts" had missed. Then they introduced a QA department that docked editors for such nonsense as "US writers don't use 'hence'; they use 'thus.' Only UK writers use 'hence." They kept picking at me and picking at me until I felt as if there was some chirpy little QA person watching over my shoulder. In short, I'd been there too long. Eventually they told me I no longer fit their business model, and I was dismissed.

29 people found this review helpful

Scribendi Response

Hello, and thanks for your feedback. We are glad that you were able to enter the editing industry through Scribendi. However, we are sorry to hear that you felt as though you were let go as a result of a changing business model. We never seek editor turnover, as we do value our freelancers; our core group of experienced freelance editors is the backbone of the company. In addition, while the quality system can sometimes seem tough, we find our quality system to be vital, as it ensures that we consistently provide value to our clients. We constantly strive to ensure that our quality system is fair, and we have a review system in place to handle any concerns. Transparency and accountability are key aims of the current administration.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good for the part-time worker.

Jun 16, 2017 - Remote Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility. Large variety of work. Excellent in-house staff and management who treat their remote editors with the respect and the attention they need.

Cons

You must be fast to earn a decent income. Unfortunately, many of the documents that you begin with barely past muster and require very careful attention and substantive edits. Until you reach a certain rating and/or average QA score, you'll be stuck with ESL and technical documents regardless of your credentials or background.

25 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0

Thought It'd Be Better

Jun 6, 2018 - Remote Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

You have complete control over your work schedule and where you work. I really enjoyed being able to work outside if I wanted to. The work was challenging, and I enjoyed learning new and interesting things through the documents I edited. The other remote editors were very friendly and supportive in the forums. I enjoyed talking to them. I did like the karma point system because it was easy to accumulate karma points if you helped with the late-running orders. You can redeem your karma points for different rewards, such as gift cards, merchandise, and MS Word keys.

Cons

They expect too much from their editors in too little time. A lot of the papers are very poorly written ESL documents, and they expect their editors to turn them into perfect masterpieces in just a few hours. Many of these papers require way more time to complete than is provided. Furthermore, if the client needs to be contacted and the deadline is approaching, you have to submit the incomplete document to the customer anyway or else Scribendi's system will punish you for returning the document late. I felt this was very unfair and unprofessional. Most of the time, you wind up working 10+ hours a day on something that should have only taken 6 otherwise. It makes the pay really not worth the hours you're working. I shouldn't have tried to work with them full time because meeting monetary goals while maintaining high-quality work was pretty much impossible. In the end, it got the best of me. The successful editors at Scribendi seem to work part-time and already have years of editing experience. If you can't keep up with Scribendi's pace (or pass the majority of your QA checks, which are another story), you get the boot. I also disliked that they didn't put a lot of effort into offering further or advanced training for their editors. I would have liked to have participated in a training webinar instead of taking their "training" sessions on their sister site, Inklyo (which were long, repetitive, and mostly unhelpful).

35 people found this review helpful

Scribendi Response

Hey there, and thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed having control of your schedule and workload. Scribendi’s flexibility and wide variety of documents are often appreciated by freelancers! We are also happy to hear you enjoyed the karma system and its rewards. We understand your desire for further training, but we hire experienced freelance editors who are self-employed contractors, so we do not train them on how to edit. However, while their professional development is their responsibility, we do aim to fully support our editors in meeting our high standards and to provide free access to numerous editing and proofreading resources, which we are always looking to improve. We have also revamped our QA system to account for editors’ effort in revising documents. We are sorry to hear that you found our expectations to be too high. While we do see documents by writers of every experience level, we ensure that documents of any length can only be placed with realistic turnaround times. We expect our editors to edit at the industry standard of 1,000 words per hour, as noted in our application, and many of our editors surpass this without sacrificing quality. Since we provide our editors with full autonomy in terms of the orders they choose to accept, if the turnaround time for an order does not look feasible considering their speed, they do not have to accept the order. It is true that editors will incur karma penalties if they return a document late, but an incomplete or poorly edited document should never be returned to a client; this is clearly against our editorial policy. We value quality above all else and strive to deliver this to our clients every time.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews