Scripps Health Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scripps Health President and CEO Chris Van Gorder
Chris Van Gorder

Pros
  • This organization has great people and great benefits (in 37 reviews)

• Good benefits and a very supportive organization (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • raises are limited, recent layoffs, pay is low for area (in 8 reviews)

• Commute was long for me, but still a great place to work (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Computer Administrator"

Current Employee - Computer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Computer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IT department is very cutting edge (for the industry). Lots of great people working for Scripps.

Cons

Because it is a 24/7/365 shop, you can work a lot of hours. BUT management is pretty good at keeping an eye out for burn-out.

Advice to Management

Doing good. No real advice at this time.

2. "PSR"

Current Employee - PSR in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - PSR in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, that's it for now.

Cons

I've only been here for a few months, and unfortunately, I think I may have expected too much from Scripps. Management doesn't have any time for you. People are unprofessional. If you make any kind of mistakes, everyone will know about it. Very uncomfortable environment. I thought Scripps would have a decent environment since it's been included on the best 100 companies to work for almost every year. Maybe it truly is, and my department is probably an exception. The work itself is manageable since I love patient care, but the environment is horrible. Too much gossip, and negativity.

Advice to Management

Training class on how to be professional at workplace.

"Staff RN (Critical Care)"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee oriented company. They will watch out for you if you give back to the company. I must say, The most fair company with whom I have ever worked. Not the highest pay, but certainly more than the average for the area.

Cons

Chronically understaffed. Still a big business and feels like the staff worker doesn't have a voice.

Advice to Management

Practical patient care guidelines should eminate from the bedside on up, and not from the administrative and executive offices on down.
    The Admins and Exec's job is to make sure the company stays viable. However, it is important to remember our cause, first, foremost, and decidedly paramount to any other is to give quality patient care without compromise.
    Understaffing IS compromise of patient care ... and unfair to staff.

"I would recommend IT professionals avoid Scripps Health"

Current Employee - Integration Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Integration Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive. Health plan is good.

Cons

Disrespect to employees is at an all-time high. No management support for analysts or engineers. Management here at Scripps talks a VERY good game but there is very little work/life balance or respect for employees. Employees are berated and devalued.

Advice to Management

Avoid hiring project managers to manage core teams. Avoid managers who lack both empathy and any grasp of what the people who work for them do day to day. If you're truly seeking a "world class team", then you should start with your directors.

Scripps Health Response

Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We are sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations. We value all feedback and would like to offer you the opportunity to connect with ... More

"I was a volunteer at the Emergency Room"

Former Employee - Volunterr in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Volunterr in San Diego, CA

I worked at Scripps Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Patient interaction, access to medical procedures, face to face with some of the best RN and Doctors in the world.

Cons

As a volunteer, we were not able to do as much as I would have liked. There was insurance issues with involvement with patients. However when doctors say otherwise, it became fun

7. "Meaningful work in a better-than-average company"

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Scripps Health part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Corporate commitment to use layoffs as a last resort, including reducing top salaries and positions prior to rank and file.

Coworkers who genuinely care about their work and each other.

Cons

It's still a bureaucracy with attendant politics and egos.

Pay for non-physician medical staff reportedly lower than average despite corporate claims to the contrary.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with those in the trenches before adjusting policy.

Place more value on preventative care for patients.

Create advisory committees from rank and file workers with the power to change things.

"Culture"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Scripps Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Good co-workers
    Overall good culture for morale

Cons

Poor corporate culture
    Poor Management
    Limited room for growth
    Lack of opportunities
    Takes an extraordinary amount of time to handle workplace problems

"Business Services Department - I wanted to love my job. However...not happening."

Current Employee - Business Services in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Services in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Love that!!
    Some really great co-workers.
    Good Café on site for a while but now they buy processed and sell it higher priced then all the restaurants on the corner.

Cons

Scripps might have a "great place to work" status but the Business Services at 4S is horrible. I've worked here a few years now and the department didn't do well on the 'great place to work' survey so didn't give it to us last year!! It's a new building for Scripps and they are letting it get trashed. It's filthy and poorly maintained. Really.
    There is no job training here. Not even job guides that enable you to learn on your own. New hires aren't given even the basics and there is no continuity for how to proceed...it all depends on who you ask because no one is taught procedures. Going to Epic soon and the super-users who get special training to help the others on the floor are just getting the same class as everyone else but they take it 3 times! Once, again, there won't be anyone who really knows the answers to problems of software or coding or billing or insurance! Turn over is terrible which shows how bad things are because the benefits are good.
    Management is unbelievable. They never live by their own rules. They have no idea how to get their job done. Obviously, promotion to that position has nothing to do with expertise and everything to do with 'friends' in high places. Promoted beyond their competence level for sure. Always in meetings but never training or supporting the staff. Sometimes the results are a financial disaster and guess who they blame...They have % raises and job reviews that are a joke. Impossible to excel but managers can make their favorites look good even when they are known to cheat at production and quality.
    There are some good supervisors but the directors and managers are slowly weeding them out...sad.
    Can't bring in the $ so they are cutting supplies, services at the employee level. Have to get your toilet paper early in the day! No joke. Can't keep trash cans emptied so they just keep removing them! There aren't any at your desk or in the parking structure any more.
    There was a great café there for a couple months but it slowly started serving mostly all previously processed/baked goods and the prices go up and up and up.

Advice to Management

You should be fired. You need to be nice for a change. Actively listen to the people who are doing the work for you and you will accomplish more. Stop breaking all your rules in front of your workers while you call them on the carpet for every little thing. Figure out how to do some training and make some processes that will enable people to do their jobs. You will be amazed at how better it goes!
    Pay attention. Morale is sinking every day for a reason...

Scripps Health Response

Apr 24, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We are committed to continuous improvement and are sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations. We value all feedback and would like ... More

"Scripps Health"

Current Employee - Scheduling Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Scheduling Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, annual raises, 270 hours of PTO after working 10 years, corporate discounts

Cons

Pay increases are % based, management can play favorites

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

11. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great Company to Work for with great benefits, amazing people, physicians, and patients.

Cons

It is a Large company.