SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment President and CEO Joel Manby
Joel Manby

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is hard to find full time positions (in 42 reviews)

• You may have to work long hours if it gets busy (in 35 reviews)

1. "Such an awesome company!!!"

Current Employee - Day Camp Counselor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Day Camp Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide alot of perks for their employees including park tickets, discounts, ect. Plus a very fun work enviroment.

Cons

I loved working here, so no cons for me!

2. "Diver"

Former Employee - Diver in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Diver in San Diego, CA

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, get to dive with the animals, fun environment

Cons

Not a lot of great opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Get a plan.....Quit letting PETA push you around.... Run a BUSINESS

3. "Ride Operations Ambassador"

Current Employee - Ride Operator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Ride Operator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay starting off, supervisors are involved and always open to ideas, como tickets and lots of events and discounts for employees outside of seaworld, working with lots of cultures.

Cons

Difficult to get full time, you don't have a fixed schedule and may have to work holidays and late nights, have to request days off 3 weeks before.

Advice to Management

The only advice I have is to keep working with ambassadors and being invoolved which is great. But to be lenient with call outs/scheduling. It would be nice to have somewhere to send pictures or something to for proof. Hate feeling like I'm going to lose my job because I got a stomach bug or something.

4. "Not so great"

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees had a sense of pride when owned and operated by Anheuser-Busch.

Cons

No advancement opportunities, guidance or mentorship. Favoritism and nepotism .

Advice to Management

Hire managers who lead and mentor their staff to be successful. Offer advancement opportunities, guidance or mentorship. Get rid of favoritism.

5. "Food Service Attendant"

Former Employee - Food Service Attendant
    Former Employee - Food Service Attendant

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of hours. I was working 50 hours a week sometimes more.
    Clock in and clock out in the same location.
    Get to get in free with Employee ID.

Cons

You don't get to pick your hours.
    If you take a break you only get 30 minutes a day even if you work more than 8 hours.
    No voucher's for food service workers for food

Advice to Management

Change the length of the breaks. If a person works more than 8 hours give them an hour either at the same time or in two 30 minute breaks.

6. "Food service clerk"

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time

Pros

They have good Benefits tickets and bonus

Cons

Communication is lacking between managers and employees

Advice to Management

Don't judge or assume

7. "Rides"

Former Employee - Ride Operator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment part-time

Pros

Started out good at first. And the work environment slowly progressed to bad.

Cons

Bad work environment . supervisors aren't serious . employees play too much aren't serious when it comes to safety . we don't get paid enough to be ojt's when that isn't our title as employees at sea world. We don't get paid enough to be harrassed by guest and employees . take it up with a supervisor they'll just pass it off .

Advice to Management

Learn to act the part of your position .

8. "Ride Operator III"

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time

Pros

easy going, always get hours, hard to get fired

Cons

lots of downtime, gets boring

9. "Not Bad for Part Time Work But Don't Make a Career Of It"

Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free tickets, steep discounts, 401k even for Part Time employees, flexible scheduling, occasional employee only events and activities

Cons

No communication, no consistency between departments, poor management, low pay compared to industry standards, employee perks seem to lessen every year

Advice to Management

Get it together. Seriously. Cross departmental, management looks weak. No one enforces park policies in any consistent manner. Stop choosing the most random things to document people for. We know it's a huge company with a lot to monitor, but equal and fair treatment is key to retaining employees. Also, act like you actually appreciate them. Nothing is done anymore to boost morale, to offer any team building, or even to make employees feel like you care. Everyone just looks like a number in your eyes.

10. "Entertainment Technician, Show Operations"

Current Employee - Entertainment Technician, Show Operations in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits aren't bad. Free tickets that are good to the end of the year, sizeable discounts on everything in the park. The people you work with are, for the most part, a delight. The show product is wonderful, and really something to be proud of.

In addition, this company helps to prepare you for the fast-paced, long-term sort of contract you might be after with a touring or cruise company. Good experience, and a great place to learn.

Pretty good opportunity for advancement, if you stick it out long enough.

Cons

As a seasonal employee, you can't work for more than six months. In between your six month periods on you have to take 90 days off.

Be prepared for LOOOOONG hours. As a seasonal employee, you're hourly, but overtime exempt. Since corporate has REALLY been cracking down on overtime pay allowed, that means that all the non-exempt people are kept strictly to 40 hours a week. Show techs fill in the gaps, working installs, strikes, load ins and load outs for the concert series, in addition to full show days.

This is a high-stress, highly changeable environment, with a decently high turnover rate among performers and technicians. Schedules often are subject to change, and the show will go on except in the most dire circumstances. You will be paid more than most theatrical techs in the area, but you'll most likely be underpaid, as all technicians make the same rate, regardless of their actual role with the show or specialized skill set (audio engineers make the same as deckhands, for example).

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Hire more swings, specifically. Three people cannot cover more than thirty tracks with any degree of regularity, and they always get penned into a venue, which makes it a nightmare for other shows if someone gets sick or has an emergency.

Pay your skilled technicians more. If you offered more than 12.20/hour, you might not have such difficulty finding skilled employees.

I understand cutting costs, but you have to understand that cutting costs with labor comes at a price, and we're paying it for you.