Seafood City Reviews | Glassdoor

Carlos Go

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Operation Manager"

I have been working at Seafood City full-time

Pros

Awesome work environment to be around

Cons

Lack of structure in the company

Advice to Management

I have no advise to give at this time

2. "Cashier"

I worked at Seafood City part-time

Pros

The people you work with were helpful

Cons

Don’t know how to take care of their employees

Advice to Management

Take care of you people

3. "Great People, Horrible Company"

I have been working at Seafood City full-time

Pros

I loved working for the company and there were great people to work with. Flexible hours. Great manager.

Cons

Gossiping and horrible company benefits.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will make sure your company becomes successful.

"Terrible experience."

Current Employee - Cashier in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Seafood City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people all over Seafood City Supermarket are genuinely nice to be around with, and will assist you at your firsts depending on what job you got. True filipino values is still within some people you will encounter at the workplace.

Cons

Management does not provide any training ground for new employees. they just look for people to immediately fill up the open positions within their company and that's it they're gonna expect you know what to do already and you're gonna be on your own, so you have no choice but to bug other co-workers on how to get around things. Not to mention that schedules are insane to keep up with, which results to Very high employee turnover rate. If only I could take back that 1star...

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right, for them to have a reason to wake up and not forcibly drag themselves to work. They also have their personal lives aside from work, and they serve as the heart of any company. If you can't provide good working environment, how would you expect every employee to be at their best for the customers and for the company's betterment day by day?

5. "supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Seafood City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people i've work is good we help its other,good boss.

Cons

lack of staff,to much work.

Advice to Management

hired more staff

6. "It's all about work to them."

Current Employee - Stocker in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Stocker in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Seafood City part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you need overtime and you need money fast, this job will hire you within five minutes of looking at your resume. That's what happened to me. As a stocker, the job is incredibly easy.

That's pretty much it.

Cons

When I applied, I was told it would be a part time position, averaging 35 hours a week from 2 - 10pm. However, for the past weeks I've been getting off past 10, sometimes even 12 o'clock am. The worst are on Mondays, when the latest they let us off was 2:30am.

Seafood City management doesn't care about your well-being. They make it look like it, but in the end it is all about the work. The head honcho, let me call him Mr. E, says how he doesn't like how his employees are kept late. Mr. E said "if you don't get done, just finish it tomorrow. Tired workers feel bad and ultimately do bad, so we should all get some rest." He says that, but lower management doesn't fulfill that dogma. For example, the buses in Tukwila leave at 11:30 at latest from what I have been told. One of the employees asked to be let off to catch the bus and my supervisor said "Have you finished your work?" My coworker had to rush through the aisles putting back misplaced items (which are supposed to be the morning clerks job as stated by my boss). Subsequently he missed the bus and I had to give him a ride home.

Another con is the absolute lack of training and information you receive. Yeah, it is a brainless job, but employees need to be trained properly, especially in a big place like Seafood City. Stocking itself is easy, but they don't teach you how to bag, they don't teach you basic safety rules (such as how to operate a baler, how to lift a box, or properly place a pallet), and they don't teach you employee codes. All of this was taught to me by management when I was an employee at previous supermarkets, and was reminded to me at Seafood City by my coworkers, NOT management.

Just the other day management blamed the stockers for not following a potential shoplifter. For one thing, she never called the code over the intercom, which she claims she did. This was supported by my coworkers, who did not hear the call either. Another problematic thing was that we are never told what to do in the situation where a shoplifter leaves. Usually there would be a security guard in the case that a situation would intensify. Ultimately such a lack of information could be disastrous in my workplace.

There is also a huge problem I have with the way they keep an eye on potential shoplifters. They usually shout the code when they see a group of kids or are of a different race than white or filipino.

There is a high turnover rate. Two weeks into my employment and four stockers already left. One of them was only there for three days. You can tell they are running out of manpower when they bring in one guy from the store's restaurant and another from the meat department.

For the amount of time worked, we are still considered part-time. I receive absolutely no benefits. The only "benefit" I ever received was at Peroshky's, where I got tax off my purchase.

Advice to Management

Clean up your act. Learn basic management skills. Appreciate your employees and don't lie to them. You should prioritize employee welfare first. If your employees respect you, then money will come to you.

7. "Don't ever work here unless you're desperate"

Former Employee - Cashier in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Seafood City part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy tasks and creating bonds with customers are very enjoyable.

Cons

Managers are horrible, a lot of unwanted drama, not professional. They don't compromise with scheduling. It gets super busy and you have to be fast paced.

Advice to Management

Treat workers as human beings with respect. Foul attitudes rub off the wrong way and can affect how the workers perform in treating the customers. HR needs to investigate further with the markets of all locations. Everyone is two-faced in there. If the Gen. manager is around, everyone has to act perfect. But behind closed doors, everyone is disrespectful.

8. "decent first job for experience"

I worked at Seafood City full-time

Pros

Good First Job. Friendly customers

Cons

Messed up schedule. They change it every week and favor they friends

Advice to Management

Too many Favoritism

"Office Staff"

Former Employee - Office Staff in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Office Staff in Pomona, CA

I worked at Seafood City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the only pros I could think of right now is that Seafood City gave me my first job here in the United States when other companies look for that "local experience" thing. That's a good thing and I'll always ne grateful for that.

Cons

Being grateful to the company and recommending them to others is a different thing. The tricky part is, if I had any choice, or if I had the same opportunity here with what I had in the Philippines, I think I will never work for a company like this. First of all, this is a family owned business, which means room for growth is very limited. All higher positions will of course be given to family members, regardless if they're fit for it or not, and regardless if you're really good with what you do. Second, salary increase is never measured. They don't have what we call a "performance matrix" where you base an employee's increase in their performance. Third, I was never maltreated or anything like that (because maybe I don't seem to be a pushover), but I have seen how management would abuse their power to get their employees to do things. Management leads by fear, not by example. I'm telling you, if the employees there have a choice for another job, they would leave in a blink of an eye. Fourth, there is absolutely no training nor career path here. Fifth, this is a dead end for any employee. If you have a choice, look for a different company. Exercise your right to a better future and don't get stuck here just because you need a job. There are soooo many fishes in the ocean. You just need time to catch it.

Advice to Management

Change your leadership style. Give these employees the warmth and reward that they deserve. I know you're running a business and you want to gain as much profit as you can, but these are people too, not animals. I'm getting overly dramatic but that's the truth you don't really wanna face because you know deep inside that it's true. No one really likes to work there if they had any choice. Stop leading by fear. Instead, lead by example, collaboration, and a team oriented environment.

10. "Could use some improvements but overall it's fine"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff in Northridge, CA

I worked at Seafood City (Less than a year)

Pros

Fine people to work with, friendly atmosphere!

Cons

Not so fine people to work under, management could be overbearing sometimes.