Seagate Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Seagate Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Luczo
Steve Luczo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are always opportunities for internal career movement and they do a good job of allowing for a good work life balance (in 146 reviews)

• Safe and healthy working environment (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance not as good as other companies (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management seems to not be very knowledgeable at what happens at the ground level (in 24 reviews)

"Used to be a good company, not anymore due to bad PLM leadership"

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time

Pros

Good sales team. In general friendly work environment with good people, except that hostile working environment and confrontational communication style were brought in by former WD executives. It's a shame.

Cons

Top performers leaving the company voluntarily due to bad management. Smart hard working employees got laid off or push out without valid reasons. Long time Partners / Customers were being treated unfairly.

Advice to Management

Understood your job is to create shareholder value. However, treating employees with dignity and fairness is equally important.

Jul 13, 2017 – Employment Branding & Social Media Intern

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We recognize that management changes do not always go smoothly and we want to assure you that this is an issue we are concentrating on. Respecting... More

"Its a job, if its your only option."

Pros

Although the benefits package overall is mediocre, the employer contribution to the HSA was very generous, it was deposited in full at the beginning of the year, and I was able to keep it with me when I left.

Work life balance was really nice. My managers always had the rather progressive policy taht if you got your work done, they would be flexible in the schedule.

Cons

Oh boy..........where to begin.............

I worked for a company that was owned by Seagate and eventually it was decided that Seagate would bring us in all the way, rather than remaining a separate brand. This led to some excitement, but mostly uncertainty.

-The benefits, particularly the health insurance, were a joke compared to what we had and it forced every employee, regardless of health plan, to effectively take a decent sized pay cut (again, in effective pay) to remain an employee. This was brought up to Seagate higher ups and they basically said 'Live with it or take a hike'.

There were frequent meetings throughout the year that were called different things 'All Hands' or 'Town Hall'. These meetings were a nuisance due to their frequency, as well as their pep rally feel. 'Rah rah rah! We are doing so great! Our projections are through the roof!' And then year end rolls around and we are all expecting raises and the tune suddenly changed 'Well..........we are doing good, we just aren't doing 'give raises out'-good. In fact, layoffs!'

-Speaking of layoffs, they happened on an almost annual basis. Fortunately, I had connections to know when they were coming but my colleagues did not. The execution of the layoffs was done poorly. Many talented people grew tired of it and left. Morale was as bad as anywhere I have ever worked, and that includes a small business that was constantly on the verge of going out of business.

-The high ups who were always talking in these meetings didn't seem very sharp to me. Priorities and objectives constantly changed.

-Before we were merged into Seagate, we were able to work at home on occasion. This was very helpful on days when I had a cold or otherwise needed to be at home. Seagate got rid of this (for its low level employees).

Advice to Management

I doubt you'll take this seriously, but you really need to learn to treat the people that work for you better.

Jun 13, 2017 – Sr. Talent Aquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Treating employees with respect is extremely important to us and we are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Seagate. Moving forward, we... More

"Dying company"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Seagate Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are passionate about data storage and acknowledge the fact that the company is a dying breed.

Cons

The company exclusively designs and manufactures hard disk drives. They are facing extreme pressure from the flash storage market. The company leadership is either incapable or doesn't care to change the direction of the company and so the company will die in a few years. The company only promotes yes men who go along with the poor decisions of the executive leadership.

"Fremont- Not my cup of tea"

Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- easy to get by without doing anything
    - spend day in meetings
    - projects will likely get scrapped before completed

Cons

- politics
    - some bosses shout at their employees
    - ethnic favoritism/ departmental favoritism
    - no promotion
    - meetings
    -much ado about nothing
    -below market pay
    -small bonus
    -rating systems are a joke

Advice to Management

- the big boss knows things need to change, but if it hasn't completely collapsed and fallen to pieces, why fix it?

Apr 25, 2017 – Sr. Talent Aquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry you had a bad experience and we recognize your objections. Thanks again for your comments.

5. "Account Manager"

Pros

Good benefits, good technology, hard working people

Cons

Little to non flexibility for working remotely; Programs and initiatives constantly changing every couple of years. It's a joke.

Advice to Management

Top Heavy - Too many VPs; Inexperienced and unprofessional managers need to be evaluated and removed.

"Manager"

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time

Pros

I work with smart, dedicated people. Decent benefits.

Cons

Oppressive, demoralizing, demotivating culture. Terribly disorganized company that spends millions of dollars on initiatives and holds no one accountable for them.

Advice to Management

If you're going to invest in a program, take the time to measure results and hold people accountable to changing their behaviors.

Feb 9, 2017 – Sr. Talent Aquisition Partner

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Employee experience is important to our leadership team. We are sorry you had a bad experience and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

"Seagate in a nutshell"

Former Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you enjoy having teleconferences with staff in India starting at 6am, then again at 9pm nearly every day, and you like being a direct report to management in India, then this company is for you.

Cons

This place is "all in" on moving to India, so unless you're in India (or unless you're at the level of management that's sending all of the jobs there) you have no future at STX. The best that you can hope for is a slow, lingering decline into the maw of job termination.

Advice to Management

Perform a comprehensive analysis of your move to India, including the cost of lost opportunity due to the inefficiencies of operating in a place where your staff works about 3 hours out of the 6 hours that they're actually in the office, the infrastructure is terrible, new buildings are falling apart because they're so poorly constructed and the power goes out regularly.

Feb 3, 2017 – Sr. Talent Aquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We recognize that you have this concern and we are sorry you had a bad experience. Seagate is always trying to improve. Thanks again... More

"Very unclear/shifting vision, and employees bear the cost"

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have moved from Scotts valley to cupertino, which might even be considered a con to many people.

Cons

There is no leadership. No understanding of what it takes to be better than commodity storage. Because of this, and quality slippage, the brand is tarnished, and without vision of who they are and who they are trying to be, the employees get RIF'ed and bear the brunt.

Advice to Management

Craft a brand and be consistent, don't change with every new leader that comes in.

9. "Sucks"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good location and nice building.

Cons

Going to hell in a hand basket.

10. "Seagate announcing 6,500 layoffs says it all"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shakopee, MN

Pros

Challenging work, dedicated workers and decent benefits.

Cons

No raises, no bonuses, no promotions, dismal culture, many foreigners who barely speak or write in English.

Advice to Management

Should've never have thought the business was going to double 3 years ago...now look at the place. Close to 10k to be let go over the last year and yet the top brass remain! If you would've promoted from within perhaps the good ole boys club could've learned something! This is what happens to companies that are run by non tech savvy bankers and bean counters! Guess that billion dollar building in Singapore was worth it huh!

Showing 80 of 1,100 reviews