Seagate Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,035 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Culture of extreme poor work/life balance due to demands of working with global teams (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management seems to not be very knowledgeable at what happens at the ground level (in 25 reviews)

"Seagate Technology"

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people. Good introduction to cooperate life.

Cons

All white me at the top. No work life balance. Limited growth opportunity. If you are not part of the inner click, watch out. Friends of executives hired to replace current staff. Low staff moral!

2. "Great place to begin career"

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, fun environment, look forward to work each day

Cons

Requires a bit of time flexibility on occasion (late hours some nights, early mornings etc)

"Frequent Layoffs"

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn new roles

Cons

You're learning new roles because 5 positions have been "eliminated" in the last 4 years

Advice to Management

Share a common goal across all departments, and live it.

4. "Solid company with pretty much the typical issues you'd expect for something this size"

Pros

The coworkers are really what makes the place good to work at. There are a lot of young talent and maybe because of the historical layoffs, the amount of incompetence in the North America site feel relatively minimal. The company has a lot of experience in the storage industry and it shows in how well organized the process is and it is a very collaborative environment.

Cons

Like with many larger companies, it often feels like there is no individual recognition. A lot of talented people are not being compensated and rewarded properly and often times, things can feel unfair when less capable people or new hires are brought in with greater compensation. Another aspect of being a large company with a lot of history is that change happens very slowly.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your primary talent and give them more incentives to stay. While there needs to be some balancing act with the limited resources available, employee morale can certainly suffer when unjustified promotions and bonuses gets awarded while others more qualified are left hanging in the wind.

Jun 5, 2017 – Sr. Talent Aquisition Partner

Thank you for providing an honest review of your time at Seagate. It's helpful for us to hear a well thought-out review. We are constantly trying to improve the employee experience and are aware of... More

5. "Need more new blood and top management needs better stradegy"

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time

Pros

R&D center is full of talents
    Good work life balance, very few overtime work

Cons

move slow
    didn't find next development point
    top level is hesitated on making big decisions
    average employee age is very high

Advice to Management

Focus on long term instead of short profit. Accept the tendency and reality and find a continuous way to make business. Hard drive markets are shrinking, you must all-in now or miss the chance to renaissance forever.

Jun 5, 2017 – Sr. Talent Aquisition Partner

Thanks so much for your review. Work life balance is important to us at Seagate and we are glad that you see this as an area we succeed in. In regards to the hard drive market, we can assure you that... More

6. "Manager, Cloud Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Industry standard technology company
    -Open to new technologies to increase productivity

Cons

-It is a large corporate environment
    -Bureaucratic
    -Stingy

7. "Working at Seagate"

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time

Pros

Seagate is employee focused company.

Cons

Some managers are incompetent, particularly in Market Research.

8. "Good Company"

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time

Pros

Very flexible work schedule allowed

Cons

Low motivation within certain groups

"Its a job, if its your only option."

Pros

Although the benefits package overall is mediocre, the employer contribution to the HSA was very generous, it was deposited in full at the beginning of the year, and I was able to keep it with me when I left.

Work life balance was really nice. My managers always had the rather progressive policy taht if you got your work done, they would be flexible in the schedule.

Cons

Oh boy..........where to begin.............

I worked for a company that was owned by Seagate and eventually it was decided that Seagate would bring us in all the way, rather than remaining a separate brand. This led to some excitement, but mostly uncertainty.

-The benefits, particularly the health insurance, were a joke compared to what we had and it forced every employee, regardless of health plan, to effectively take a decent sized pay cut (again, in effective pay) to remain an employee. This was brought up to Seagate higher ups and they basically said 'Live with it or take a hike'.

There were frequent meetings throughout the year that were called different things 'All Hands' or 'Town Hall'. These meetings were a nuisance due to their frequency, as well as their pep rally feel. 'Rah rah rah! We are doing so great! Our projections are through the roof!' And then year end rolls around and we are all expecting raises and the tune suddenly changed 'Well..........we are doing good, we just aren't doing 'give raises out'-good. In fact, layoffs!'

-Speaking of layoffs, they happened on an almost annual basis. Fortunately, I had connections to know when they were coming but my colleagues did not. The execution of the layoffs was done poorly. Many talented people grew tired of it and left. Morale was as bad as anywhere I have ever worked, and that includes a small business that was constantly on the verge of going out of business.

-The high ups who were always talking in these meetings didn't seem very sharp to me. Priorities and objectives constantly changed.

-Before we were merged into Seagate, we were able to work at home on occasion. This was very helpful on days when I had a cold or otherwise needed to be at home. Seagate got rid of this (for its low level employees).

Advice to Management

I doubt you'll take this seriously, but you really need to learn to treat the people that work for you better.

Jun 13, 2017 – Sr. Talent Aquisition Partner

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Treating employees with respect is extremely important to us and we are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Seagate. Moving forward, we... More

"Seagate Technology"

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Seagate Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work and life balance
    good fitness program

Cons

management not consistence
    different site not incorporated well

Showing 1,035 of 1,118 reviews