Search Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kamran Khan

"Best job I ever had. Doubt if anything else can beat it"

Former Employee - Search Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Search Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Search Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best place I ever worked at. I worked here for 1 yr and 3 months. It was the best learning experience. Mangers and PMs are great. CEO is awesome. Coworkers are friendly and helpful. The work the company does is always cutting edge. I was always busy. Always had good amount of work. Worked with all new technologies. They have helped build and shape my career and if I get an opportunity to go back, I will in a heartbeat.

Cons

No cons. Great Company. I loved it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Search Technologies Response

May 19, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks so much for the kind and heart-felt feedback. It really means a lot to us! We are grateful to you for your service, and wish you the best of luck in a bright and successful career.

"Enjoy the work but sometimes it's harder than it needs to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Search Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Search Tech hires smart and hard working people. Everyone is dedicated and will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

A small company really good at what they do. They have good reputation in data/document search field which continues to expand. Great niche to be in right now.

Mostly small to medium size projects. Being search engine agnostic means working on projects with with new and varied technologies. Great learning opportunity.

Very little whining. Never hear anyone say or imply that "it's not my job." It's a delight not having to talk someone into doing something.

Decent salary with competitive benefits.

Cons

Some growing pains. Management is very flat and very busy. Organization structure seems a bit haphazard (haven't seen an org chart since starting). Not much on boarding in some areas.

Management can make your job harder than it needs to be. Very results oriented which is good but some managers only have time to deal with the issue or crisis at hand (and over and over again) rather than plan ahead.

Management approach to people and project management are not very consistent. Some offer help and encourage collaboration, others are critical and/or just tell you what to do. It's difficult to determine what to escalate and when and why some things you never expected become a crisis.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at how people are being managed. As with other companies, Search Tech is in business to make money but a manager can make a big difference in a person's work life. Employees can be really inspired or really discouraged by their direct manager and a company's management culture.

Start thinking about professional development in addition to technical training and advancement.

And, as the company grows, take some time to examine how the work is being done. Be willing to listen to suggestions that will increase effectiveness and improve productivity saving time and money.

"It's been a great five years"

I have been working at Search Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

For more than 5 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Search Technologies. The environment is great, and my co-workers are wonderful Additionally, the company offers many very good benefits. In particular the family health care insurance and the 401(k) matching are excellent. The company has navigated well steady growth (approx 20% / year) while maintaining an employee-centered focus.

Cons

As some other reviewers have noted, the pace can get hectic. But, I think that is not unusual for successful small businesses. I find that the management treats employees as individuals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the growth continues.

5. "Great time!"

Pros

I love working here and the people I am surrounded by. Always staying busy and something to do.

Cons

Maybe more paid time off but its great otherwise!

6. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Search Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse group of people to work with and opportunities to work on various sized projects. The annual company meeting is a great place to meet colleagues from around the work and get a better handle on overall company initiatives.

Cons

Limited on-boarding process and lacking in software tools to assist employees with their job functions. There is room for more structure and process within the organization.

Advice to Management

Invest in more tools for all employees to perform their jobs more efficiently. This includes developers as well as managers. Continue to promote training for all new employees as well as ongoing training and certifications for existing employees.

7. "Solid Company - Great Challenges"

I have been working at Search Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company that offers tons of challenges. With new clients coming in every week and projects that last from a few weeks to a few months - it's possible to try something new or dig deep into something.

Working with the latest big data and search technologies also keeps you in the exciting part of the industry.

No lack of opportunity to be challenged!

Cons

Very fast pace - but that's good!

Advice to Management

Keep up with the annual company meeting - it's great to meet peers from around the world.

""A small company that is making a big impact on my career goals""

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Search Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging, diverse work load

Financially sound company that invests in its people; management genuinely values its employees

Relaxed culture with a focus more on outcomes than processes; ideas and innovative thinking are encouraged

Company is customer-focused and authentically helps customers solve their search problems; it's not all about the revenue

Salaries are comparable to industry averages; the benefits are better than average

The CEO and leadership team are characteristically smart, energetic, hands-on and very approachable

Cons

Busy, fast-paced environment. Must be able to multi-task.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the small company feel as the company continues to grow.

9. "Most interesting work ever!"

I have been working at Search Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Team are very passionate about their work, always a new challenge to be met, training is always available, business is very busy! Never gets boring for sure. Projects and Teams change frequently, small company feeling, everyone knows you by name. It is great to be a part of this fast growing company.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Could always use more vacation though!

Advice to Management

Keep up with the Annual KickOff event. It is vital for a growing Team to stay in touch with the latest news in other departments in the Company..

"Best people I've ever worked with. Best job I've ever had, bar none."

I have been working at Search Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate culture places high value on people and relationships and the result is a family-like atmosphere. Management up to CEO are approachable and accessible, and open to ideas and improvements. We are like one big team. There are brilliant people working here. Benefits are competitive, esp healthcare, vacation and 401k. Annual kickoff is fantastic. They bring everyone from every location together for meetings, training, and fun activities, and I've never had that sort of experience elsewhere. I feel as though I now have friends all over the world. Have been here more than 5 years, and love it.

Cons

Things can get busy, but hard to complain about that since it's the result of our success. I have received great support in maintaining work-life balance, and enjoy the team around me. We work through obstacles together and support one-another.

Advice to Management

I appreciate your direct contact with employees at every level, which makes us all feel a part of things. I've had enough experience at other companies to appreciate how well you treat your employees. I like that you share the "credit" for the company's success with all of us as a team.

11. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant

I have been working at Search Technologies full-time

Pros

work life balance, lots od opportunities to learn new technologies, trainings etc

Cons

sometimes you may end of working in a project with a demanding customers - which might be challenging.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work and kudos to annual kick off