Search for Change Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Tricia Hollister-Doyle
1 Rating

"Counselor"

I have been working at Search for Change part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very Progressive company for the most part

Cons

Better pay ... keep in mind it is a non profit company so pay can be limited

2. "Residential Counselor"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor

Pros

You get to learn a lot from the field quickly.

Cons

There is no oversight for anything that happens in the units. Supervisors get away with too many things that the average person would be fired for. The unit I worked for and I'm sure it happened elsewhere too, the supervisors did not respect their employees or the clients. Important client issues were neglected and it impedes their progress.

The supervisors I had were completely incompetent. Employees are put into higher positions when they do not exude any qualities of deserving a higher position with more responsibilities. Employees are given higher positions based on tenure/seniority rather than work performance. There is a very high turnover rate/burn out due to cost of living, low pay, poor work environment, heavy paperwork, lack of supervisors knowledge to delegate work properly, supervisors not doing their work and leaving it to the counselors to pick up the slack, lack of support from supervisors on top of handling difficult clients, no appreciation, stealing our overtime which states in our company handbook that we are supposed to get but you tell us to take the time back by giving us days off instead, not feeling safe in the units because we work alone a majority of the time with a lot of unstable clients, being short staffed for long periods of time (over a year), new employees are not properly trained and usually quit.

The clients suffer from this the most because when employees are not being taken care of it unfortunately affects them. It's not right, these are things that can change and it's not fair to the clients at all. That's probably the saddest realization after leaving this company.

Advice to Management

Fire the people that need to be fired. Stop waiting to see if incompetent employees will change. They won't. They get too comfortable getting away with things in the workplace and know that they can because there isn't any accountability which only snowballs and makes it a very difficult environment to work in. Listen to your employees when they come to you with problems within the company, we would not be coming to you if there wasn't a serious problem.

Pay us more, have better supervisors so we can get the proper support to help our clients. And SUGGESTION (invest in getting security for the units).

3. "Residential Counselor"

I worked at Search for Change full-time

Pros

Overall, was a positive work experience where my skills truly flourished.

Cons

Favoritism, and co-workers are very involved in your business on the job.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of favoritism and make all employees feel like they are important and beneficial to the company.

5. "Rewarding but a lot of work for little pay."

Pros

Great staff that care about the people that they work with. All great people to work with. A great way to gain great experience and put this on resumes. Great company culture. This company has very understanding bosses that are very relaxed despite the extreme responsibility of the job. I would recommend this job to a friend though. Great starting point for a job in psychology!

Cons

An extreme amount of paperwork. Pay is a joke for doing graduate degree work. Training is not very helpful because each person wants the paperwork to be a certain way.

Advice to Management

Pay higher and I would absolutely hands down think of this as a career. Also hirer more people to maintain house, and let us case managers work on the paperwork. We have too many responsibilities sometimes doing chores, cooking dinner, and chauffeuring clients around is too much. Pay higher and I guarantee u would have more devoted employees. :)