Sears Reviews in Charlottesville, VA | Glassdoor

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance was non existent (in 226 reviews)

• They make you push people to sign up for credit cards which makes some customers angry (in 506 reviews)

1. "MCA"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to do other things.
    Teamwork
    Good management

Cons

Wage
    Difficulty to advance with the company.

Advice to Management

Approve to minimum wages, the employees deserves it after all the hard work they contribute.

2. "Tragic store and work environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a cashier, every time you trick someone into opening a Sears card, you get a $2 reward.

Cons

Problems because of company policy:
    You are required to "sell" a ridiculous number of credit cards every month. You are rated on this a low rating will affect any raise, and they will be going to threaten to fire you if you were just not good at helping people ruin their credit.
     You are also required to sign people up for the rewards program. Most of the time people are happy to sign up, but you constantly have the grouches who think that giving their email is going to compromise national security. When your "shop your way number" is too low, you get yelled that. If you have a nasty manager, they will read everyone's numbers in front of everyone and social shame you for not performing well enough. The problem with this and the credit card thing, is that if you simply have difficult customers who don't want to give their personal information or sign up for a credit card, you are shamed and your job is threatened.
     I worked in clothing, so I didn't have to worry about commission like the people in tools and appliances had to. It's a very stressful work environment for extremely little pay.
     Sears is trying desperately to revive their relevance. As such, they put an undue amount of pressure on their employees to push through things that people just don't want.
    If you're OK with having an ulcer for $7.25 an hour, go for it.

Advice to Management

Signing people up for credit cards should absolutely not be a reflection on someone's job performance. People just went through an economic recession and they do not want to credit cards. Signing people up for shop your way should also not be such a big deal. If people sign up it should be celebrated, not employees getting berated for the people that refused. Having an employee who refuses to ask the customer is one thing, but having a customer refused to sign up should not be a reflection on the employee.

3. "DON'T WORK HERE! !"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with. That's about all! Coustomers are for the most part nice and understanding!

Cons

Ok so ive worked at sears since may. My job title was appliance sales consultant. While for the most part it was ok. They use "metrics" for pretty much everything and it can get overwhelming! They push home protection agreements down coustomers throats as well as credit. But neither one ia worth the paper ita written on! The protection crap is a nightmare to try to use and the credit card has such a high interest rate! Working on just commission alone of course has its good and bad days, but at Sears expect more bad than good! There could be 5 or 6 people working(fighting)for the 3 people that might come in. They want you to go in and work for free doing sales add signs and other things and tell you oh its part of the job but you dont get paid by the hour for doing it! Im calling labor board ASAP and looking into money im owed for different things! BEWARE BEFORE WORKING FOR SEARS!!!

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate - Hardware in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Some management is really willing to work with you in regards to schedules.
    Good for very part time work or if you just need a bit of extra money. Would not recommend a position with Sears if it is your primary income.

Cons

Hourly plus commission (which is really only good if you are GREAT at selling or during peak seasons like christmas or spring)
    Really pushes metrics on sales people. Protection agreements, credit, customer feedback, etc.
    Too many things to track. When I first started it was sales, attachments, credit, PA's. It has grown into those plus so much more. And now you have to fill out a sheet to track how many customers are SYWR members, you have to be at a certain percentage on that plus all your other stats. Wants employees to complete training but won't schedule specific time frames to come in and complete it. Also, I have been with this company for over 4 years and not once have I had the chance to even move to full time. Many stores are very understaffed as well.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing so hard on your store employees. Not every single customer wants a PA or wants to join SYWR or wants a credit card. Why not go back to being able to enroll without an email? People know it is there to track their purchases and use it for marketing purposes.

"Not the best experience."

Former Employee - Cashier in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people you meet and get to work with, make the place more bearable.

Cons

The constant hour cuts, the pay sucked, to many "managers" not enough employees, and management seemed lost in all of it as well. They also never had enough people to cover shifts and registers. I was supposed to be cashier in the children and men's departments. How the hell did I wind up in hardware and automotive.. Really!?!

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together.

6. "Nice place to work."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Sears, in Hardware, Lawn and Garden, and then Appliances. It was fun, and most of the employees are friendly and fun. I always got along great with the management team as well.

Cons

Pay is not the greatest, but not the worst either.

Advice to Management

Please put less sales people on the floor. That made it really hard to make any money.

"Not worth the trouble"

Current Employee - Cashier in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

- There's room for advancement and moving around in the company most of the time.
    - Nice co-workers for the most part.
    - I was praised often for signing customers up for credit cards and rewards programs.

Cons

Management doesn't have their act together. I've been an employee at Sears for a month and, while my employee ID number was assigned, I've never been able to use it to punch in/out for shifts. This meant I had to use punch correction slips every week, which became very frustrating. After bringing this to the attention of my managers, I was repeatedly answered with, "I'll look into that." The issue was never resolved.

On top of that, despite my time with the company, I am still not included on weekly schedules when posted. I have to run to the back and ask for a schedule to be made. One week, I was given 3 different schedules by 3 different managers because I "still wasn't in the system". After a month! This lead to enormous confusion and tongue lashings that I did not deserve.

Furthermore, while I was trained well enough to operate a register, 90% of the job I had to teach myself or learn from trial and error. When I asked for advice on how to do a certain command on the computer, like a discount or a return or whatever, I was met with rolled eyes and exasperated sighs.

Advice to Management

When you say you'll look into an employee's troubles/issues, follow through.

Showing 7 of 10,090 reviews