Sears MCA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Family & Work Life Balance- A company where this is very much common (in 227 reviews)

• You will succeed if you apply yourself a lot of great people that will help you succeed good benefits as far as the industry goes (in 327 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance needs to be reviewed (in 216 reviews)

• they push hard to get credit cards (in 472 reviews)

1. "Mediocre at best. They pressure you to sell credit cards, but if you do your job they don't really care."

Former Employee - MCA/Cashier in Brunswick, ME
    Former Employee - MCA/Cashier in Brunswick, ME

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees (when I worked there) were very friendly. Also the job was exceptionally easy.

Cons

It can get very boring sometimes and selling credit is obnoxious.

Advice to Management

Please understand that part time high school students do not care about selling terrible Sears credit cards. Yes we will try to do it because it's our job, but we're not going to do well and you shouldn't try to make us feel bad for not being able to sell very many.

2. "No communication meets unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - MCA in Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - MCA in Hickory, NC

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers (where I was atleast)

Cons

no communication, lots of pressure for credit card applications, cut hours, 2x the work for minimum wage

Advice to Management

I'm just going to talk about my experience here. I was treated like every teenage minimum wage worker has nightmares of. I am a hard worker, I was late 1 time because my father broke his foot (even then it was only 10 minutes), I never missed a shift. I had my hours cut IN HALF randomly. The nights I did work they made me cashier, I was not a cashier I was an MCA I straightened racks cleaned the dressing rooms and occasionally cashiered if a cashier needed help. They put me on a floor all by myself and told me to straighten the whole floor, cashier, and get people to sign up for credit cards. The management calls literally EVERY HOUR to ask how many credit apps you have. It was awful! They make you feel terrible for not being able to get people to sign up. They tell me to ask at least three times. Like if a mother comes up just buying her daughter a 2 dollar tube of candy chapstick I am not going to force a credit card down her wallet. I'm just not that person. They also took away our 20% off to 20% back in store points which to me defeats the purpose. We also couldn't remind the customers they had free money in points to use. The company is just in it for the money! Pretty sure they will close soon they weren't doing very well. They really did try to make one person do two jobs and work a whole store alone. It wasn't just me they are trying to transform the system so they will need half the people. It's ridiculous. Plus the upper management did not tell us any of that, two girls even got 0 hour weeks where they weren't scheduled at all. Sears is a terrible place to work. Be cautious.

3. "Vacation for partimer"

Current Employee - MCA in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - MCA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only benefit I have seen is you actually get some type of vacation

Cons

Cons is if you don't work enough you don't get paid vacation unfortunately they don't pay you vacation if you dont work I believe more than 1000 hours (when I started). I worked a lot, but now things have changed now that is bi-weekly if you work less than 20 hours each week you get no vacation so you gota work more than 20 hours to get some type of vacation.

Also Vacation caps I never used vacation until now I noticed that my vacation hours capped I was near 100, but it stopped at 99 it didn't grow now I forced myself to use one vacation hour (which part times it seems you can only use 5 hours) so I am going to see when my vacation hours go down it starts building up.

Also here in CA thanks to the government (one of the few good things they do) we get 3 paid sick days each year.

Overall its sad that your vacation doesnt grow the only good thing I heard is if you end up leaving the company and you have vacation hours they paid them I am concern though that they cut vacation since I said it didn't go up, but I will find out soon and will update.

4. "Rapidly Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Florence, KY

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- They hire anybody
    - Learn selling techniques
    - Associate discount combinable with Shop Your Way
    - A place to help you get back on your feet if you've made bad career moves

Cons

- Lack workers, especially when it is busy (managers will not help out)
    - High turnover
    - Unfair pay
    - Poor management
    - Poor business strategies
    - Bias with scheduling workers
    - Poor schedule accomodation, especially on Sundays
    - Terrible security staff; stuff is successfully stolen most of the time
    - You'll always have work to do while other workers stand around and talk
    - No opportunities to move up
    - Poor worklife balance; you could work 39 hours one week and 15 hours the next
    - Corporate may cut your hours or have a manager tell you not to come in on short notice
    - Full time only available to cashiers and managers
    - No raises
    - Poor equipment like worn out iPhones/iPads, ladders, broken tables, broken/rusted fixtures; one of the breakroom refrigerators had an exposed wire that they wouldn't replace

Advice to Management

- Help customers instead of "doing your job"
    - Respond quickly to calls
    - Buy new equipment for safety reasons and to get tasks done more quickly

5. "Discouraging Work Environment"

Former Employee - MCA in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - MCA in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morning shifts go by quick if you have something to do.
    There is ALWAYS something to do.
    Quick paced multitasking (if you're good at that).
    Coworkers looked out for one another; very helpful.
    20% employee discount on everything, even clearance.
    Projects (i.e. clearance tagging, inventory, etc...) are fun when done in groups.

Cons

No real training; as soon as you're off the electronic lessons you are put on the floor to figure things out on your own.
    As much as they try to sell you on this, hours are not flexible almost to the point of being non-negotiable. I've witnessed people with previous engagements (like class finals) get angry calls from their leads.
    Closing shift MCAs rarely finish cleaning up; they leave work for opening MCAs.
    Expect to be responsible for other people's mistakes multiple times in a single shift.
    Constant micromanaging from certain Leads/Managers in and out of Softlines, at times even from your own coworkers.
    Constant check ups per shift from any and all Leads and Managers on how many credit apps/online orders you've got from customers.
    The hostile vibes from Leads and Managers the moment you start your shift will get you discouraged.
    Expect to be called out/mocked/pushed aside/told to leave if you're not doing your job precisely the way your Leads/Managers want it, even if front of customers.
    The typical Sears customers are either extremely nice or unforgivingly mean; there is no in between.
    Get stuck with other people's duties all the time (as an MCA I often had to give up all my cleaning for hours to tend to the register alone if certain cashiers at the other areas were goofing off and did not care to come and do their job)
    Certain cashier Lead at Oakridge berated cashiers and MCAs to the point of tears on the daily (I hope this woman got fired).

Advice to Management

MCAs matter too. We deserve better treatment from Leads, Managers, and HR people. Our hard work often went unappreciated. It was always "ok you're done with this now do that" and all of you would rarely thank us for it. It would mean a lot if MCAs got the same recognition and praise as top credit performing cashiers.

6. "Mca"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome staff. Awesome team players

Cons

Pay us just minimum wage

Advice to Management

Give raises people deserve raises when they earn them

7. "No HR department, lack of experienced management, sweatshop similarities"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Basic retail job. You work your availability if it fits with the schedule. Plenty to do in retail. Company discount on item purchases.

Cons

Air conditioning is shut off when shopping hours are finished, leaving employees vulnerable. Managers hang out while staff clean up the store or play around, resulting in everyone staying later sometimes 2 hours or more after closing which is way too long.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced retail managers rather than restaurant owners and Home Depot employees.

8. "Good Employer, Customer Service Experience"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Roseville, CA

I worked at Sears part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling if communicative, Higher management are pleasant people

Cons

Store sales vary meaning PT hours can be anywhere from 5-30 hours week-to-week

9. "Not a good environment"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Employee Discount is 20% off on clothes, Co-workers are fun to work with

Cons

Management is incompetent, compensation is way too low for the amount and type of work performed, and the company is too desperate to push credit cards and rewards programs that it drives customers away

Advice to Management

Cut down on the credit card and reward program requirements for associates

10. "MCA customer assistant"

Former Employee - Merchandising and Customer Assisting Associate (MCA) in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the job itself. Was lucky to get a position in the shoe Dept which was slightly different from the other departments. The other mca's had to do their own work in their assigned place but also was to clean the dressing rooms, etc and return merchandise left there along with trying to put out new merchandise, help customers, and constantly having to pick up and sort things that had been put in the wrong spot or messed up ie dropped. The shoe department had no dressing room and most people tried to put unwanted shoes back and didn't leave other things very often from other departments. Also, the department was set up in a way that made the isles easier to oversee.

Cons

The biggest con with working at Sears was that everyone started at minimum wage....and stayed there. There were numerous employers that had been there for years and had never had a raise!! Unless you want an extra job or just a job for Pocket change, don't work at Sears.

Advice to Management

Need to give people the raises and benefits they are promised when hired.