Sears MCA Reviews | Glassdoor

Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance was non existent (in 229 reviews)

• They make you push people to sign up for credit cards which makes some customers angry (in 510 reviews)

"good to get back in routine"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Braintree, MA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager was nice but unfortunately only saw on weekends. They just left me on my own most of the time which was great to not have someone hovering over you but I never knew if they were going to keep me or let me go.

Cons

At first scheduling was very random, very little communication from mgmt to staff. The computer training didn't apply to most of what I was doing. It wasn't helpful in any of the day to day things to do. You basically have to learn on your own.

Advice to Management

Welcome new people, make them feel like they're not just a day laborer. Explain benefits like vacations, sick days. Get electronic signs like Kohls, the paper signs are extremely time consuming to replace. Put up signs over the work boots to explain their features like Work n Gear. Take new employess on a tour of building and introduce them to other employees.

"Thoroughly dehumanizing"

Former Employee - Merchandising and Customer Assisting Associate (MCA) in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid on time.
    This place hires anyone...literally anyone...so if nothing else, you WILL get hired.
    You can work with your coworkers pretty easily, and they'll help you out, but mostly just because you're all enduring this place together.

Cons

I could write at least one large book on why this place is one giant con. Let's start with the training, or rather, the lack thereof. You're trained in whatever you signed up for, plus how to conduct the most basic sales, and that's it. You aren't even taught how to issue a refund! A. REFUND. Every time the company comes up with some new crazy initiative, you get zero training in that too, so that when a customer asks you about leasing after hearing it on the mic for the millionth time, you have to call your manager. This brings me to the next problem....

The management. The managers here are bad, plain and simple. Their attitudes range from delusionally cheerful, to blatantly uncaring, to downright tyrannical; the first store manager I endured was such a jerk he caused several female employees to leave, and he constantly joked about doing cocaine, while basically forcing everyone to laugh or say 'yay' in response to his bad humor.

Now let's talk about schedule; one of the big selling points of working at Sears is that the schedule is supposedly flexible. I'll put it simply; that is a complete lie. You have to constantly hound someone to change your hours, and they'll only do that for one week, after which they'll continue to randomly change your hours as they please, usually at the last minute.

I should take a moment to talk about the customers. There are plenty of pleasant older folks who come in and are even cool to talk with, but you'll always get someone who's completely off the handle, insults you, threatens you, etc. You can read more about that below.

I should also mention the employees. They aren't terrible people, but anyone who's worked there for over a year or more basically gets to throw rules, professionalism and schedule out the window, and us newer employees get hounded for their absence. Of course, you can always shortcut your way to this status by sucking up to management and laughing when the manager makes another joke that he's gonna snort coke. Then you can text and listen to music while a customer is waiting on line, but a less-suckup employee (like me) gets scolded for checking my work schedule on my phone (when the store is closed anyway) because the ancient Internet Explorer computer crashed for the 7th time. Also, the whole 'hire anyone' model really has it's downsides; I was forced to work alongside a blatant nutcase for weeks. This guy acted creepy towards everyone, especially female employees, he saw nothing wrong with rape or murder, he believed dinosaurs were a myth created by the government, and he'd constantly try to sneak up on coworkers and scare them. Oh, and he wasn't some adolescent troll; this guy was nearly 40. Management only kept him around because he was good at getting credit apps (read: good at scaring customers into getting a credit card so he'd get out of their face). When he found out he couldn't intimidate me, he became even worse in his behavior, until management was forced to fire him.

I could go on and on about this place, but I want to get to the reason I titled this review the way I did; how utterly dehumanizing this place is. Here's a few examples -

There is zero employee protection. If you're harassed, threatened with violence, called a derogatory term for homosexuals, called a racial slur for black people, etc. by a customer (which has happened to me on multiple occasions), you're not allowed to file harassment or anything, and there's no form of compensation. You just have to deal with it. I'm sorry, but if I called someone up and ended up shouting anti-black slurs at them 7 times, I'd be sent to jail. That doesn't apply if you're working for Sears, because apparently Sears employees don't deserve human rights.

Sears claims it compensates for disabilities, but it really doesn't. It even has a segment on their site where it asks you if you have a disability, and management will follow up with you about it. This has yet to happen; I seriously doubt management would care if I told them "Hey guys, I happen to have been diagnosed with serious depression and grieving, which are listed as disabilities on your site...can I NOT have to spend 32 hours at the cash register being dehumanized by your insane customers?".

Sears is totally unreasonable about sick days. In their eyes, if you can still walk, you can still work. They don't care if you've got the cold, the flu, whatever; if you aren't lying in a hospital bed strapped to a machine, you've got no reason not to show up for your 8 hour shift of harassment.

They also don't care about anyone in your life but you. If your grandchild just gave birth, you don't get any days off; you have to use any 'vacation days' you've built up by staying with Sears long enough. I personally had to miss one day of work for a family emergency, and the first thing I see when I'm able to check my email is my boss basically telling me I'm getting a write-up for absence. The lack of care for human life in this company sickens me.

Overall, things you do here just feel utterly pointless. Working for Sears is like trying to bail water out of a ship that's on a crash-course while the captain takes a pickaxe to it. If all this hasn't convinced you not to work here, I don't know what will. Seriously, don't work here unless you absolutely need money; it's not worth the sheer stress and pain you'll go through. The easy hire and money might sound good, but you'll be thinking otherwise when you're having slurs shouted at you by a customer, then your manager waddles over and asks how many credit apps you've got, and the whole time you're wondering what to do if someone actually asks about the 'new leasing program'.

Advice to Management

Just accept the harsh reality; Sears is dead. It committed retail suicide through bad business decisions, horrible management, and no form of filter on who they hire. Quit dehumanizing and treating your hard-working employees like dirt, and quit trying to fool yourselves and everyone else that this place has any chance of making a comeback. Just shut it down so all of us employees can say "Company shut down" on our resume, rather than have to explain to our next employer why we quit your poor excuse for a store.

"Store dependent"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you catch a good store, you'll have a great time.
    Tasks are straight forward and easy to learn.
    The hiring process is fairly easy.
    With a good manager, you get a small amount of creative freedom to do your work, an absolute positive in the retail field.

Cons

Scheduling is all over the place.
    Varies so much by store it's like working at a different company.
    Your schedule and workday plans will change daily, sometimes with little to no warning. Constantly check your schedule before you go to bed in the evening just to make sure you haven't been changed around.

Advice to Management

Put a bit more care into the people behind the stores. Yes, we're all worker bees but instilling pride and agency in workers goes a long way towards positive work environments and better stores.

4. "Retail nightmare"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Sears part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a job, I made good friends.

Cons

Horrible pay, NO raises ever, managers played favorites, always being pushed to get credit apps., and ppls emails.

Advice to Management

Stop favortism! Its not fair to those who busted butt and worked hard, and then gets passed over!!

"No leadership"

Former Employee - MCA in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - MCA in Milford, CT

I worked at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot come to mind.

Cons

Management was so aggressive. Work place was constantly hostile. Long hours. Little pay.

"Softlines MCA"

Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting new customers on a daily basis

Cons

Limited FT. Mostly PT. Never any raises for anyone. Stupid tests you're required to take on a monthly basis, that's why there's never anyone to assist customers. incompetent management!!!

Advice to Management

Actually do what you say and assist customers

7. "Not the best place to work"

Former Employee - MCA in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - MCA in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Most co-workers were friendly.
    -Break room is nice.
    -The store is clean.
    -You sometimes get fed pizza for days you work on holidays.
    -There's a cake every month to recognize people's birthdays.
    -Plenty of lockers for your personal belongings.

Cons

-Minimum wage job and no raises. The only way you will get an increase in your wages is with an increase in minimum wage or becoming a manager.
    -Lots of down time during weekdays and at certain times a very boring job just waiting around for customers. After awhile very repetitive work where you learn nothing new.
    -Too much work for little pay. As a Merchandise and Customer Assistance Associate (MCA) your normal duties include fitting rooms, price checks, markdowns, signing, and putting items out on the floor. However, you must learn how to use the cash register and on busy days you have to help the cashiers and you can't get your work done .
    -Ridiculously long and unpleasant holiday work hours ( i.e., 12AM-8AM shift for Black Friday).
    -Boring dress code.

Advice to Management

-Stop bothering MCAs with going on the register when there is a long line of customers. All management should know how to use the register and should help the cashiers if you are not busy.
    -Put more cashier's on certain times of the day.
    -Stop hiring irresponsible people who quit after 2 weeks.
    -Get rid of your paper sale price signs and replace them with digital price screen devices that you see in places like Kohl's - you will save both time and money in the long run if you invest in these.

8. "Mediocre at best. They pressure you to sell credit cards, but if you do your job they don't really care."

Former Employee - MCA/Cashier in Brunswick, ME
    Former Employee - MCA/Cashier in Brunswick, ME

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees (when I worked there) were very friendly. Also the job was exceptionally easy.

Cons

It can get very boring sometimes and selling credit is obnoxious.

Advice to Management

Please understand that part time high school students do not care about selling terrible Sears credit cards. Yes we will try to do it because it's our job, but we're not going to do well and you shouldn't try to make us feel bad for not being able to sell very many.

9. "No communication meets unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - MCA in Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - MCA in Hickory, NC

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers (where I was atleast)

Cons

no communication, lots of pressure for credit card applications, cut hours, 2x the work for minimum wage

Advice to Management

I'm just going to talk about my experience here. I was treated like every teenage minimum wage worker has nightmares of. I am a hard worker, I was late 1 time because my father broke his foot (even then it was only 10 minutes), I never missed a shift. I had my hours cut IN HALF randomly. The nights I did work they made me cashier, I was not a cashier I was an MCA I straightened racks cleaned the dressing rooms and occasionally cashiered if a cashier needed help. They put me on a floor all by myself and told me to straighten the whole floor, cashier, and get people to sign up for credit cards. The management calls literally EVERY HOUR to ask how many credit apps you have. It was awful! They make you feel terrible for not being able to get people to sign up. They tell me to ask at least three times. Like if a mother comes up just buying her daughter a 2 dollar tube of candy chapstick I am not going to force a credit card down her wallet. I'm just not that person. They also took away our 20% off to 20% back in store points which to me defeats the purpose. We also couldn't remind the customers they had free money in points to use. The company is just in it for the money! Pretty sure they will close soon they weren't doing very well. They really did try to make one person do two jobs and work a whole store alone. It wasn't just me they are trying to transform the system so they will need half the people. It's ridiculous. Plus the upper management did not tell us any of that, two girls even got 0 hour weeks where they weren't scheduled at all. Sears is a terrible place to work. Be cautious.

10. "Vacation for partimer"

Current Employee - MCA in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - MCA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only benefit I have seen is you actually get some type of vacation

Cons

Cons is if you don't work enough you don't get paid vacation unfortunately they don't pay you vacation if you dont work I believe more than 1000 hours (when I started). I worked a lot, but now things have changed now that is bi-weekly if you work less than 20 hours each week you get no vacation so you gota work more than 20 hours to get some type of vacation.

Also Vacation caps I never used vacation until now I noticed that my vacation hours capped I was near 100, but it stopped at 99 it didn't grow now I forced myself to use one vacation hour (which part times it seems you can only use 5 hours) so I am going to see when my vacation hours go down it starts building up.

Also here in CA thanks to the government (one of the few good things they do) we get 3 paid sick days each year.

Overall its sad that your vacation doesnt grow the only good thing I heard is if you end up leaving the company and you have vacation hours they paid them I am concern though that they cut vacation since I said it didn't go up, but I will find out soon and will update.