Sears Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Pros
  • Family & Work Life Balance- A company where this is very much common (in 228 reviews)

• You will succeed if you apply yourself a lot of great people that will help you succeed good benefits as far as the industry goes (in 330 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance needs to be reviewed (in 217 reviews)

• they push hard to get credit cards (in 478 reviews)

1. "If your good at it it's fun"

Current Employee - Consultive Sales Associate- Home Improvement in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to make a lot of money
    Non capped commission
    $2 for every sears card application
    Bonuses for good performance
    Great rewards program (got free stuff several times a week)
    Associate Discount used to be 10% headlines 20% soft lines not its 15% back in points in hard lines 20% in softlines

Cons

Need to sell protection agreements
    Need to get credit apps
    Need to push rewards program on everyone hard to keep your numbers up

Advice to Management

Find ways to motivate without being mean to your cashiers and other employees

2. "Good pay and fun environment"

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate - Electronics in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate - Electronics in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working there and it's 9.50/Jr. But I don't get commission. This only matters because I have better sales than anybody else in the department and better shop your way numbers than almost anyone

Cons

No commission and not as busy as other retail stores.

Advice to Management

Recognize good work more than they do. My pay doesn't reflect my sales

3. "Auto Department (Specifically Sears West Madison, WI)"

Former Employee - Service Writer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Service Writer in Madison, WI

Pros

Worked around my school schedule without any issue.
    Got time off when I needed it.
    Not open obscenely late.
    POTENTIAL to make good money. I emphasize potential because first of all, you will need to have little to no integrity if you don't work all the time or during the prime times. Secondly, even if you do work all the time and during the prime times if you are busy doing oil change write ups all the time, you could still end up with a crap check. If you don't work all the time and/or during the prime times you simply WON'T make a decent check if you have any integrity at all.

Cons

They pretty much epitomize the reason why people have a stereotypical response to auto shops by thinking they are getting screwed. Corporate extorts the integrity out of you if you let them by implementing minimum sales tactics of specific things over a month no matter how much you work. For instance if they think that sales of radiator flushes needs to have a push they will force the service writers to push them on customers whether they need it or not. These numbers are the same for everyone no matter now much you work or when you work.

In my particular location there was a lot of backstabbing and stealing of pre-arranged jobs. I think by one particular service writer that I believe is not there any longer, but I suspect it ran more rampant since I did not work a lot, but hardly ever saw a decent commission check even when I should have. There will always be some clash of personalities in the work place, but I think this was the worse I had ever seen it.

Pay is crap unless (see Pros)

Again, in my particular location any time the manager was needed because of an unhappy customer, he would conveniently dispensary. Like he had a sixth sense when it was going to happen, but I know he did it specifically because on a couple occasions I had told him that he would have to deal with a volatile customer and he would disappear right after.

He would also claim he knew a lot more than he obviously did then claim he let people make the mistakes, sometimes more than once then claim he knew what the issue was the whole time, but thought the person needed to learn for themselves even if it cost the company a stupid amount of money, or the customer and the techs time (and money).

There was more than one technician there that was a raving bigot. Actually surprising in Madison.

Advice to Management

Don't have the commission based pay.
    Don't have the monthly quota based sales events.
    Pay your employees a living wage.

"Worst upper management in the industry"

Current Employee - Brand Central Assistant Store Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Brand Central Assistant Store Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay me. They don't pay me well, but as of yet the paychecks haven't bounced.

Cons

The hours are horrible, going into the silly season management will work 80+ hours per week with one full day off (if our departments are performing) and there is no bonus. Last year my Christmas was that day only and my next day off was Jan 5th. It has been that way for years.

Advice to Management

If possible not only support your team, but actually give them some time during the season to have off and re-group. Continuing to re-structure this company in an effort to save this dying entity seems fruitless.

5. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Merchandise Pick Up Associate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Merchandise Pick Up Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at Sears (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy work environment, laid back atmosphere and great co-workers.

Cons

Wages are not as competitive as they once were, not much room for growth if you are part time.

6. "Sears Electronics"

Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate - Electronics in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Consultative Sales Associate - Electronics in Madison, WI

I worked at Sears part-time

Pros

Reasonable discounts, friendly coworkers, some friendly managers, relatively laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Extremely disorganized training, poor communication between management, unreliable HR department, unrealistic sales expectations, low customer traffic, little opportunity for sales, poor scheduling.

Advice to Management

Communicate between each other more effectively.

"Challenging, Rewarding, idea generating positions at Sears Home Improvement"

Current Employee - Home Solutions Advisor/Lead Generater in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Home Solutions Advisor/Lead Generater in Madison, WI

Pros

Sears Holdings Mission Statement and supporting cultural ideas that promote excellence through ingenuity by receiving and giving constant feedback. Focused Recognition tools are utilized daily to ensure everyone is recognized for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Cons

Recovering from the economic downturn is not an easy thing for a company to do. I encourage Sears to join the wave of the future and remain open to embracing the latest technology, Sometimes we receive word that changes for the better get stopped because "we never did it that way before" when in fact, that's exactly why we should be open to trying them out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Listen to your employees...they are your best asset. Move forward with the cultural value and change the negative stigma that Sears started to gain. If people could see what's going on behind the scenes now, everyone would want to join us to work here!

"My time with sears has been frustrating and demanding."

Current Employee - Consultive Sales Associate- Home Improvement in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

10% discount in hardlines and 20% in softlines, only pros!!!

Cons

Incompetent management, long hours, favoritism, and low pay

Advice to Management

Start paying what we are worth. I have team members who have been with the company for over 3 years and still make 7.25 minimum wage.

"Lack of support from upper management"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promotions available after about 2 years

Cons

Lack of authority to match the tasks required
    Lack of support for positive changes
    Poor pay for what is expected
    Have to buy parts for repairs from Lampert's other business, AutoZone.

Advice to Management

Terminate Ed L., the CEO; get someone at the top that cares about his/her employees so that maybe it will trickle down to lower management and employees.

"Waste of time. Pushy. Company does not care about their empolyees"

Current Employee - Cashier in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met some great peopl there.

Cons

You will never get a raise. If you are hired in one department, don't expect any cross training. I've been a cashier there for six months and you are not aloud to leave your cash register. All the company cares about is meeting their metrics. You HAVE to be pushy and rude and they will tell you to lie to customers in order to sign them up for a credit card. Customers seem to be very displeased with the company and I hear a lot of complaining about managment.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Minimum wage is rediculous for the work we are expected to do. Don't be so pushy about the credit. WHO CARES. The company should care more about customer service then signing anyone up for a credit card. and how about a little CROSS TRAINING!

Showing 11 of 9,303 reviews