Sears Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

1.8
Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Family & Work Life Balance- A company where this is very much common (in 231 reviews)

• You will succeed if you apply yourself a lot of great people that will help you succeed good benefits as far as the industry goes (in 334 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance needs to be reviewed (in 218 reviews)

• They make you push people to sign up for credit cards which makes some customers angry (in 483 reviews)

1. "Sr. Buyer"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer/Planner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to create financial and merchandise plans to support transformation. Part of the solution for driving cultural transformation.

Cons

Lack of marketing and store renovations to support and remain relevant with competition.

Advice to Management

Compete with Walmart and Amazon,when it comes to on line support and website innovations. Spend the money on systems upgrades and your people.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Divisional Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Divisional Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People vp level and below are kind, respectful people and learned a lot for the time I worked there, especially how to manage through ambiguity.

Cons

Poor leadership from the top down, very unprofessional behavior and hiring of leaders who have zero retail background but know CEO.

Advice to Management

Know when to fire your presidents, and fire the right ones.

3. "Painful--dying business model"

Former Employee - Senior Buying Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buying Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

San Francisco headquarters is a great location as it is in the heart of the city with easy transportation, restaurants and shopping.

Cons

The business approach, product styles and assortment, outdated and unwelcoming stores all result in declining sales and customer interest. They need to rethink and relaunch.

Advice to Management

Start from scratch

"Worst Job Ever!!!"

Former Employee - Senior Apparel Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Apparel Designer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Pay, and other newly hired apparel designers. hours good too since nobody cared.

Cons

The job was a total lie. I was hired as a Sr. apparel designer but it was actually not the position. The company recently moved the Design from NYC to SF and let go of most of the design team. They relocated some and hired new designers but the whole move and set up was A MESS. We basically sat for weeks with no working computers or programs or really any work. Sounds cool get paid for nothing but it was not fun. The computers that we wound up getting where so old they could barely run the programs we needed and the server was excruciatingly slow. (talking 10mins to open one art file!!!) The "on boarding" was a JOKE. I was updating stuff in a outdated PLM system with absolutely no training and could of screwed up orders. Of the Merchant team that was already in place, these were the bottom of the barrel and had no real taste or experience in apparel. I was literally speechless quite a few times when I saw the product that they had bought and committed to. The vendors are awful since they don't want to do any development for Sears since they are afraid of not getting paid. I wondered why I got the job over the phone and the salary was so high. I understand now why it was. There was absolutely no design. It was all copying (screenshots) from online retailers like Gap and H&M and sending out "development packets" to vendors for them to develop (pull similar styles from what they have already developed for other customers) Oh and everyone hates the CEO, what a schmuck. They are about to go out of business so nobody at the company gives a crap about anything.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the merchant/buyer teams and VP. They are AWFUL

5. "a toxic environment"

Former Employee - Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are genuinely great people that work at Sears/Kmart. The level/ability to stand out and make and impact is dependent on direct supervisor, if you have a good one, you can advance steadily. I felt great support from my peers.

Cons

The management is poor from a strategic direction, there are too many overarching changes without seeing the results from the previous to evaluate and course correct. Senior Management does not appear to have a mind of its own, but only puppets for corporate antics. There is no real review or development process, and no merit increases given. There is little ability to see your impact on a day to day or strategic level, and very little motivation to go above and beyond a company that does not value your contribution.

Advice to Management

DEVELOP your employees, and give them a sense of ownership that extends beyond blame when business is bad. DEVELOP your managers and make sure they are well rounded. There are too many people in management positions with singular hard skills based on strategy, and very little soft skills or management skills. The company needs to develop a place where employees can grow and be heard.

6. "Sears is a challenge"

Current Employee - Associate Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office location, offered me a chance to break into buying, the people I've met

Cons

Lack of respect in the office, no trust from upper management, no annual reviews or raises

7. "Sears Holdings Corporation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sears (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a very talented apparel merchant team

Cons

Unfortunately, reporting systems are a little incongruent

Advice to Management

Merchants need to be allowed to be merchants

8. "Retail buyer"

Former Employee - Retail Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow buyers were professional and hardworking

Cons

Procedures and processes were crazy

9. "casheir"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great place to work. Very chill.

Cons

No cons about working here.

"Associate Buyer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, everyone is very friendly. Nice location in downtown and nice office.

Cons

not great benefits, no annual raises, and pay scale is not consistent within the same position. The company is all over the place, is constantly restructuring and there is a lot of uncertainty. Not flexible schedule.

Advice to Management

Work on the overall morale with the company. People are unhappy and there is no incentive to make them want to stay, especially without any kind of pay increase even though cost of living continues to rise.

Showing 24 of 9,435 reviews