Sears Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

2.5
Sears Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer Edward S. Lampert
Edward S. Lampert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Family & Work Life Balance- A company where this is very much common (in 231 reviews)

• You will succeed if you apply yourself a lot of great people that will help you succeed good benefits as far as the industry goes (in 335 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance needs to be reviewed (in 219 reviews)

• They make you push people to sign up for credit cards which makes some customers angry (in 484 reviews)

1. "Inventory specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always busy, a lot of opportunities for overtime

Cons

Bad management, little room for growth

2. "Project Consultant"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leads are prepared. Get 3 leads everyday.

Cons

Not all leads are good leads. Boss is one man show. Too much work on everything. Many of my sales cancelled due to the slowness of the production team, I have 3 big sales cancelled because customers waited too long (about 2 months) and never got installed. Working 14 hours a day in 5-6 days in a row. No life balance.

Advice to Management

Need to do better in delegation, develop team not just sales team.

3. "Death Spiral"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sears as a contractor

Pros

Relaxed co-workers and convenient downtown location.

Cons

This company is quickly dying. No support for projects, long-term or otherwise. Little clarity between department for goals. Turnover so high that nothing can ever get set or completed.

Advice to Management

Your leaders have given up and it shows.

"Very concerning long term outlook."

Current Employee - Salaried Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Salaried Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with. Benefits for buying with discounts is very good. Pay is relatively good for the industry.

Cons

Medical insurance is very expensive. Lots of turnover within stores as well as executive level leadership. Poor work life balance. Incompetent delivery/installation partners that are costing the stores sales and customers. Communication is difficult to sift through what is important. Too much cutting of resources at store level, yet tons of other leadership. Pay increases and bonuses are non existent, except when discussed to get someone hired.

Advice to Management

Cut senior leadership (Presidents, VPs, regional) and add more payroll to stores. Give hourly pay increases. Have less goals on the scorecard and focus more on sales and profit. Don't give so much away with points or have several points programs running at once. It is just eroding margin.

"Good people, not good company"

Current Employee - Consultive Sales Associate- Home Improvement in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultive Sales Associate- Home Improvement in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet great people and have fun on the job at times.

Cons

The metrics they ask you to make are ridiculous.

Advice to Management

No advice.

6. "Consultative Sales"

Former Employee - Consultative Sales Home Appliances in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultative Sales Home Appliances in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even though Sears classifies you as part-time, you can still work over 40 hours per week for 12 weeks in a row! Lot's of opportunities to make money.

Cons

Selling anything in electronics, especially Consumer Cellular, eats away at your time and commission.

Advice to Management

Fix delivery issues.

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Salaried Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Salaried Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sears (More than 10 years)

Pros

There used to be many pros now the company just feels like a sinking ship.

Cons

No work life balance. Pressure and stress on a constant daily basis to make numbers. Absolutely no training hours given for new associates. No raises or incentives for well over 7 years. Corporate, regional and district management have no reality or concern with all the daily problems or issues that management faces at the store level that are beyond our control, Keep cutting and cutting back on payroll and positions. The list could go on and on. Morale and energy down the drain. Clean up and remodel the run down and embarrassing stores. Rarely allowed a holiday off.

Advice to Management

You are going to continue to lose great associates if you can't understand the basic concept that you must invest in your people and train them properly if you are going to ever get yourself out if this hole the company has dug for itself. I left a long and successful career because I just couldn't stand the direction this company has gone since Eddie Lsmbert took over. I was a good and extremely loyal employee (asked to stay after I put in my notice) and just couldn't stand it anymore. At least 7 full time and long term associates have left since I have left. For years I thought the grass wouldn't be greener and now I have a new employer and they are wonderful! Reminds me of the "old Sears" that I so miss. I have and will continue to recruit associates to work for my new employer.

8. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

Pros

Working at the new Sears Home Services - Seattle office has been pretty awesome to say the least. It's such a unique opportunity to help build the team from the ground up and be a part of a team that's redesigning and improving upon the customer experience. It's a nice and relaxed, fun space where everyone genuinely enjoys each others' company!

Cons

None that I can think of!

9. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

Pros

Cool, excellent, nice place to work

Cons

Nothing was bad. No Cons

Good

"You have to be blind to not realize that this company is going nowhere but down"

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-In-store management is great (at my store, anyways) considering the constraints that higher management and company policy places them in
    -Employee discount is decent
    -Coworkers are easy to get along with and work as a team

Cons

-Gradual decrease of in-store customers, month after month. Stores are getting empty--not just my own, but many others per the daily complaints of no customers on the company social media page, Pebble; news reports; and upon my personal observation when visiting other area Sears and Kmart stores. Hard to make money in commissioned sales if there's no customers to sell to. Days drag by and employees are getting bored and are making no money as the store sits empty.

-Too much pressure on metrics, some of which make the company no money (base to bonus member conversions, Shop Your Way membership attainment, member feedback surveys, balance of transactions [using digital devices for transations versus the more reliable and "common-sense" POS register systems] to name a few). Protection agreements seems to be religion in Sears land--it is literally worshipped. Credit is pushed so hard--it's easy money. Sears gets paid for each credit application, and because Sears cannot make money from sales, it relies on credit applications to make up for some of the lost profit.

-Morale amongst store employees and management is low and is getting lower. No matter how hard we try, it's never good enough according to the numbers. There is always a metric here or there that wasn't met, and it's almost always trivial and won't equate to cold, hard profit.

-No focus on plain old good customer service -- metrics and policies are stuck in between creating a so-so experience (at best). Too many questions at checkout about credit and the Shop Your Way loyalty program, the slow and clunky digital devices for checkout (that make no sense to use over the old but reliable POS register - Sears is doing this to look cool), the lack of inventory to take home the same day, the desperate push of credit cards and protection agreements, the lack of a fully staffed store where store employees are more accessible to customers.

-Company's eventual plan seems to be to eventually eliminate all stores, sell off the resulting real estate and become an online retailer like Amazon. This is a little late. They had a chance back in the late '90s, early '00s to take the spot of which Amazon now occupies, they passed it up. Now the company is frantically trying to transform to a top online retailer.

-Sears Holdings absolutely refuses to wake up and realize that these plans are not working. The upper management in Hoffman Estates won't swallow their pride and recruit fresh minds and even proven leaders from their competitiors (like Walmart, Lowes and Amazon, which are performing better). Sears/Kmart hasn't turned a profit in years, every quarter is predictably a LOSS, not a PROFIT. They're selling assets and starving their stores of adequate inventory and maintenance, remodels and repairs just to keep the lights on.

Advice to Management

Corporate management, the board and the CEO himself will need to accept the fact that most of the company's initiatives and projects are (or will become) failures and will only dig the company a deeper grave. They all will need to accept the reality that the company as a whole doesn't have clear, concise leadership that will lead the company to success. Unfortunately, this will not be realized until Sears Holdings ends up in the same fate as Radio Shack, Circuit City and Montgomery Wards.

Showing 23 of 9,475 reviews