SeatGeek Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
SeatGeek Co-Founder Jack Groetzinger
Jack Groetzinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Love the transparency, teamwork, and fun work environment" (in 10 reviews)

• "Nice, smart people working together to build a beautiful product" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're growing incredibly quickly which leads to some growing pains" (in 9 reviews)

• "No cons - best place I have worked in my career" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Best Tech Company to work for in NYC"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, smart people working together to build a beautiful product

Cons

None, SeatGeek rocks! Not enough passionfruit La Croix!

2. "Truly the best place to work"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SG genuinely cares about its employees. The Office Ops team really cares about making the workplace somewhere we enjoy being whether it's through great snacks or events. Our HR team also makes sure we have great benefits and perks from fantastic medical insurance to Citibike membership. We're well taken care of.

Cons

Gym membership isn't the best. We're going through normal growing pains as a company, but just ensuring that we scale wisely.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. Letting employees voice concerns makes them feel heard and respected.

3. "SeatGeek is definitely one of NYC's best companies to work at"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with. The company offers great benefits & perks. The company is incredibly transparent and people in leadership roles constantly strive to be thoughtful of every employee.

Cons

SG is growing very fast, which can be a bit jarring at times. This is not so much an issue so much as it's creating a lot of changes to the work culture. And change is always tough to handle whether its positive or negative. But SG seems to be navigating these waters surprising well.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and thoughtful with employees.

"Decent, but not without its flaws."

Former Employee - Product in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product in New York, NY

I worked at SeatGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great office perks and employee engagement
    - Transparency amongst leadership
    - Business is on an upward trajectory and highly ambitious
    - Smart, young, talented individuals working here
    - Fairly well-established meritocracy that rewards good work

Cons

- Very little diversity within teams (except maybe CX)
    - Leadership very evidently employs a “what have you done for me lately?” mindset
    - Certain business functions lack adequate support and headcount
    - Less than ideal compensation levels

Advice to Management

- Hiring strategies should include looking at people not only who fulfill the preferred qualifications, but also those who come from diverse educational and working backgrounds. Diverse perspectives in the workplace are essential to innovation and sustained business growth. Engineering and product are incredibly male-dominated here, and even in other roles, you can tell that everyone fits a certain profile in those positions. With the exception of Enterprise employees (most of which were acquired) and CX, if you look at the team pages, the racial diversity seems fairly hard to come by as well.
    - When results and KPIs are the only thing you pay attention to, and not also the learning process itself, you become oblivious to the problems that can really eat away at the core of your organization. There are some processes utilized at SeatGeek that have higly flawed logic and execution, but remain due to politics and inadequate process reviews. This is the typical struggle with scaling companies, but the fact that certain processes aren’t even in consideration for re-evaluation is very troubling.
    - There are some teams that don’t have adequate headcount to support the initiatives they intend to take on, and as a result, many crucial initiatives remain in the backlog for long amounts of time. Quality should not suffer as a result of massive hiring needs, and the hiring plan for some teams needs to be far more aggressive. However, certain teams don’t get the traction they need, again due to politics. This also ties into compensation, and there seems to be a sentiment that a good number of employees are paid lower than market rate, which could be a reason why some teams have trouble hiring.
    - In all, SeatGeek is a decent company to work for. But after a closer look, some teams are not on a good trajectory, which is worrisome.

5. "Great people and opportunity to contribute + grow"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart and great people, opportunities to contribute and grow with the company, business is doing great

Cons

Can have some long hours, but typically because people care about their work and want to do things well.

"fast growth, strong management team, high employee rentention"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-really nice, smart, competent people work here. SeatGeek puts so much time and energy into our hiring process, and it really shows! the people who work here want to be here. people work hard, and very few people are jerks.
    -nice physical office space - sooo much food/snacks/beverages, and the list of perks are always growing. we are running out of space to put everyone but the space we do have is glorious.
    -the company consistently promotes people from within and reward high performers through title changes and salary bumps.
    -flexible work environment. employees are encouraged to stay home when they are sick.
    -amazing transparency from executive team - employees at every level feel like they know what's going on with the company.
    -busy/fast-paced, but i've never felt like expectations were unreasonable or like I had to put in crazy hours to get my job done (but this will definitely depend on which department you work in)
    -very exciting time to be part of this company. we are poised to change the ticketing industry and it's so cool to be part of that.

Cons

-no 401K match. reasons from exec team as to why they don't do a match aren't compelling. this is the number one improvement to the benefit package that i hope to see made. first job where I've never had a 401K match.
    -there are still some major kinks to work out in the product that can be frustrating. there are simply not enough developers to work on all the features and bug fixes needed to move forward.

Advice to Management

-please continue being so transparent with employees about going-ons within the company.
    -keep recognizing good work, promoting from within, and creating tracks for advancement
    -keep investing in making SeatGeek a great place to work

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If I could describe the best company to work for it would be SeatGeek. Not only is everyone intelligent, friendly, and driven, but they also believe whole-heartedly in the success of the company which is incredibly lucky. The perks are also out of this world including a monthly stipend to spend on tickets, stocked kitchen (plus beer n wine), great vacation policy, holiday week, flexible work days, team lunches *takes a breath* stock options, great healthcare, citibike membership, cool office and more.

I genuinely love coming to work everyday, not only because I like what I do, but also because I love the people I work with and the company I work for.

Cons

- People whine about the gym option (which isn't great), but honestly at least we get a gym option.
    - As with other startups, no company is "perfect" and there are growing pains especially with the rapid growth currently occurring within the company including imbalance of work-loads across each team and lack of headcount in crucial positions

Advice to Management

We all love the transparency, so keep that up. However, there needs to be better communication from the very top (executive team) down to the managers of specific teams with regard to growth of the company and expectations of certain teams as SeatGeek continues to scale their opportunities and expand market share.

8. "Fast moving startup"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time

Pros

Casual work environment with smart people that want to make a difference in the ticketing world. Lots of team events, great benefits and transparent leadership. There are so many great things going on in the business and the outlook is very bright!!

Cons

Like many start ups things are moving very quickly so there is constant change and if you aren't agile this might not be the place for you. But on the flip side you get to lay the groundwork for some amazing stuff!

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent, keep caring about your employees, take care of the amazing culture we have so it doesn't change dramatically was we grow.

9. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at SeatGeek part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart + motivated coworkers, culture of transparency, lots of excitement and growth.

Cons

Due to pace of growth sometimes it feels you need to make an effort to keep your finger on the pulse of the company - it's worth it!

"[Customer Experience] An incredible employer that gives you challenge and support"

Current Employee - Events Expert in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Events Expert in Portland, OR

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the perks, the culture! The company goes out of its way to value all of its employees. We get generous benefits, and the day-to-day culture is so encouraging and supportive as well! I love all the opportunities to stretch my knowledge and learn new things, and it's great to have so many opportunities for personal development, both within CX and into other departments as well.

Cons

SeatGeek is transitioning from being a startup to a scalable company, and there are growing pains here and there, especially when it comes to information sharing within departments and locations. I recommend applicants be flexible and patient, knowing that sometimes they are going to hit information blocks and struggle trying to find the next step. That said, this is a pretty small issue compared to all the great things about working at SeatGeek!

Advice to Management

Keep working to get those communication channels better, faster, and reaching out to everyone. We're on the right track and doing incredible work!