SeatGeek Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
SeatGeek Co-Founder Jack Groetzinger
Jack Groetzinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Despite an ambitious product timeline, work-life balance is still very reasonable and flexible" (in 7 reviews)

• "Supportive work environment and great people" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "We having some growing pains with the quick amount of growth we have had" (in 14 reviews)

• "The company has grown quickly (which is a good thing), but has started to lose the "know everyone by name" vibe" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people and exciting times from a product and business standpoint"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are truly special. I feel grateful for how many of my colleagues are down to earth, smart, open-minded, and passionate. From a product and business standpoint the past couple years have been incredibly exciting. We are now official ticketing partners with some of the largest names in sports. It's not only helping us grow our business, but more importantly it's helping us provide a better experience to fans.

Cons

There are some gaps when it comes to having experienced managers and leaders across the entire org. However, this is something that is actively being worked on and has improved recently. At times I think the company and various teams could be more focused.

"Successful company but a also victim of that success"

I worked at SeatGeek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Rare opportunity to see a startup successfully expand its business, essentially non-stop.
    - Interesting business and technical problems. Real-time, at scale. Ticketing industry is pretty fascinating.
    - Product is sleek. User-focused, something you'd be proud to share with friends.
    - Coworkers are smart and hard-working. Marketing and CX are kickass.
    - No lack of work - many opportunities to take full individual ownership on projects. Self-starters very welcome.

Cons

- I wish I could give SG two sets of ratings, one for <75 headcount when actually operating like a startup, and one for afterwards. SG did great on that initial push, building a successful product, user base, and business strategy. However, because of that velocity and the lack of experience at mature orgs that many higher ups have, they did not focus early enough on critical self-health areas - management, career growth, mentorship, cross-team communication, product ownership, etc. These are all sorely lacking.
    - Every company goes through growing pains, so the above might have been fine if that was it - we can learn and grow together, no worries. But in addition, there is a sense of denial about these problems that becomes very frustrating and hard to comprehend after you keep bringing up the same issues over and over again.
    - Immature processes, lack of accountability - it shouldn't be weird to talk about things that are going poorly that you want to improve, but that's what it often feels like. See 'denial' above.
    - It's something like 1% female (at best) on the engineering team, which is insane. Frustrating, because it's another example of something that could have been proactively course corrected.

Advice to Management

Focus more on management. Recognize that the skills that got SG to its current level of success may not necessarily be the same skills that will keep it there, and do something about it. Hire leaders and managers who have experience at this level of scale and beyond, don't just assume people will learn how to do it - you are doing a disservice to the people they manage and you will not retain talent; talented hires will expect a certain level of organizational maturity that SG still lacks.

"Amazing culture and perks but lack of upper management and mentorship"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is very welcoming and friendly. SeatGeek feels like family, even after I have left. There is no bro-culture or feeling of anyone trying to advance themselves/be on top at all.
    - Perks: membership to Spotify, Headspace, CitiBike, OneMedical insurance, frequent team-building activities and outings, and employee -led sports and hobby clubs
    - Very flexible working from home policy; everyone more or less manages themselves to a degree and have a lot of autonomy.
    - Well stocked office kitchen
    - Tradition is kept since the beginnings of the company, there are Thursday presentations and free lunch each week, regular "general attendance meetings", and holiday week events.
    - Engineers are given a lot of ownership of the product, and take part in scoping and requirement gathering for new projects.

Cons

- Lack of engineering management. SeatGeek does not have many engineering managers, and sometimes it is unclear who manages who within product/engineering.
    - Severe lack of UX team: SeatGeek places UX decisions on the shoulders of Product Managers, Product Designers, and front-end developers. It is unclear who gets the final say in design decisions and how some design decisions are made in the first place.
    - Poor communication between Product Design and Engineering.
    - We have great product designers, but all of them work remotely, which may contribute to the poor communication. Half of the front-end development team is remote as well, and it does not seek like SeatGeek is making effort to bring product design or more of front-end engineering to the NYC office.
    - Too much activity in Slack/communication seems more centered around Slack than in-person. This is very subjective though. The office is very quiet as a by-product, but subjectively speaking, I prefer more in-person communication.
    - Lack of diversity (but it seems like they are very aware of this and working on it), especially in engineering (currently less than 5 female engineers in a department of 60.
    - Lack of mentorship for junior software engineers, too much of a "learn everything on your own" mentality. Senior engineers are not expected (and often do not have time) to be mentors (junior engineers have to explicitly seek out time, and it sometimes feel like it's not very encouraged). I personally don't think SeatGeek is ready to take on any junior engineers based on the stage of growth that it is currently at and the amount of resources available.
    - SeatGeek is definitely experiencing lots of growing pains, and takes on more than it can chew sometimes.

"Culture is great, but overall needs improvement with compensation"

Current Employee - Event Expert in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Event Expert in Portland, OR

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with, and the energy in the Portland office are very inviting and fun. You can work overtime if wanted. $120/month ticket stipend. Food/drinks in the office. Really great team. Flexibility.

Cons

The pay is pretty low for Portland, especially for the high caliber work that is expected and executed. The perks are geared toward the NYC office more so than the Portland office.

Advice to Management

Raise wages, evaluate perks.

5. "A great place to work"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time

Pros

Perks, Vacation Time, Collaborative work environment

Cons

Company is scaling so structure seems a bit in flux

6. "Great Company, Fast Growing"

I worked at SeatGeek full-time

Pros

Positive team environment, great company vision

Cons

Lots of company reorganization and change

"I saw bad things"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at SeatGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The business is healthy
    - Nice office
    - Coworkers are nice

Cons

- Unclear expectations
    - Manipulative management
    - Unrealistic goals
    - Failure to adjust with repeated failures
    - Bro culture
    - Almost no women engineers
    - Poor knowledge sharing
    - No shared product vision

Advice to Management

I think SeatGeek was founded as a place where great careers can be made but it only takes a small number of bad managers - managers that want to push out features no matter what the cost - to ruin that for whole portions of the company.

"Incredible place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Standout culture: The people here are incredibly smart but also extremely willing to help and teach. I love working with my team and cross-functionally to solve problems and create new solutions for open ticketing.

Opportunity for career advancement: Lots of great L&D opportunities, and ability to own larger projects.

Transparency: everything at our company is extremely open and honest - we understand why decisions are being made and what their implications are.

Cons

KPI-driven: This isn't inherently a bad thing, but sometimes our company is too focused on reaching our OKRs and that ends up hindering progress that we should have been making.

"Exceptionally smart and interesting business"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very smart and self-sufficient; the business and industry are really fascinating and fun to learn about; people are generally willing to help and develop people

Cons

Culture can sometimes be sports heavy for those not interested in that space

10. "Great Culture and Transparency"

I have been working at SeatGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seatgeek has an amazing culture that is extremely inclusive. This makes it an extremely fun place to work. On top of this, weekly all team lunches provide a great level of transparency into all aspects of the company. Everything from team projects to company performance is discussed so you always feel like you have a grasp on how things are going.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a startup becoming a growth company. Nothing major!