Seattle Children's Museum Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Donna Marie Bertrand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good part time job"

Pros

Really flexible with scheduling, people can always cover shifts
    Chill work environment

Cons

Up until very recently, it was like working with an axe hanging overhead. But things have changed and hopefully the museum can get moving in the right direction.
    It can be hard to get things done because there isn't great communication between regular/irregular scheduled employees so it didn't really feel like I was contributing much. And it's mostly grunt work and I was tired of doing that, basically

Advice to Management

Give educators office time! and don't let history repeat itself with the upper management. And start doing some evaluation, you could really benefit from it!

2. "Customer Service"

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum full-time

Pros

They were very flexible with scheduling, and the work environment was relaxed.

Cons

They pay you absolutely nothing. The Board of Directors makes it clear that you mean NOTHING to them. It does not matter if you have an education, or prior museum experience. You will be paid abysmally.
    This place can never seem to find a decent Executive Director, and this new one is no different. She is cold, made no attempt to know the staff, except those that I constantly saw her smoking with, so if you are a smoker, and a good brown noser, perhaps you will get far here. Overall, this place needs a total makeover. It needs a board who gives a damn about the people who work here, and it needs better directors.

Advice to Management

You need to hire directors who are not tyrants, dictators, and who actually take an interest in the staff, and their job satisfaction.

3. "How to get rich in the nonprofit world."

Pros

Customers are pleasant and fun

Cons

So, other recent employees say the salaries are very low and there's not enough money to support the programs. Yet, there's a job opening for Deputy ED for $70K-ish, the new ED's salary isn't public but has to be still more, and the several other positions are open at really low salaries. Seems more that the money for programs goes to inflated executive salaries.

4. "Executive Director recently fired!"

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are all amazing! They are dedicated, bright and supportive of their work community and the guests of the museum. The longtime Executive Director was recently fired. The museum is already in a much better place. She has been the root of many poor experiences as the museum and a terrible example of leadership, ethics and fundraising skills.

Cons

The museum is not earning enough money to be operational. They are so desperate to save money, they are beginning to hire unqualified employees.
    No formal HR Department
    Overworked staff with little compensation
    They feed on new college graduates so they don't have to pay standard salary. This and the previous Executive Director greatly influence the high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

The museum needs to focus all the energy on fundraising in order to pay the employees a wage worth their responsibilities and abilities and bring new opportunities to the museum guests. I have recently seen a dive in the quality of new hires in order to save money. If this continues, the museum will lose its last respectful quality: the quality of its employees.

5. "It could be so much more..."

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved all of my peers. The children were fantastic. There are some opportunities to grow if you are willing to put your head down and understand that you will probably not be used to your full potential.

Cons

Upper management needs to go; micromanagement of your staff's entire day will not make them feel autonomous, appreciated and will not motivate them. It pained me so much to see enthusiastic people be hired (that had impressive backgrounds and experience), only to see the light fade from their eyes over time.

Also, no formal HR department...which can be uncomfortable if you have an issue with your supervisor...who is also the HR person.

Pay was terrible...but it is bad at most non-profits. However, you will really feel how poorly you are being paid when your realize you don't know what you job description is any more because of how much work has been piled on your plate...due to other people quitting.

High turnover rate. Over 20 people quit in the just shy of two years I worked there. A few were forced out.

Advice to Management

Your staff is more capable than you think. Give them a chance to flourish. Do your job and focus on getting more donors to help with museum funding. If your staff isn't happy, then your guests won't be happy...isn't the whole point of the museum to bring joy and discovery to the lives of children? Very hard to do if your staff is disillusioned...

"A Cautionary Tale"

I worked at Seattle Children's Museum full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Kids are fantastic.

Cons

Upper management is unsupportive, unclear in their expectations, openly hostile at times, and very unhappy. I saw 5 people forced out of the company during my employment there. I saw demeaning emails and catty office antics and a lot of disappointed people who just wanted to make a difference. There is no formally trained HR department (!!). This place is not worth the bad pay and disrespect.

Advice to Management

Learn about workplace ethics. Swallow some pride. Welcome new ideas from your fantastic staff. Stop office bullying.

7. "I absolutely love my job at the museum!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for non profits, because I am making REAL change. If you are in the non profit world you know the cons that go along with working for ANY non profit. Senior management has transformed TCM in the last three years. You now walk into a tight knit team that works HARD together and has fun. Mission is at the forefront of almost all staffs mind. Moral and ethical decisions in regards to staffing, finance, and partnership occur here daily! I miss work and the team I work with when I go on vacation. Its a very special place to work and requires hard work, dedication, and loyalty to last here as an employee. It is a non profit, employees that are happy working here, are here for the change they are making and not the pay check they receive!

Cons

It would be nicer to have higher salaries, really everyone says that, no matter where you work. My only con is that I wish we could have more staff to accomplish some of the really cool wishes and dream the museum has, but I am confident that will come in time!

Advice to Management

Keep at it! You guys rock!

8. "Favorite job ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's Museum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love the working environment. The management has been nothing but wonderful, they are easy to talk to, and very respectful of all employees.
    It is wonderful working with children and is all in all a fun place to work.

Cons

It's no secret, the museum is a non-profit, so yes, we all work hard and are underpaid for all that we do. If there were a way to be paid a bit more, that would be ideal.

Advice to Management

None at the moment!

"Needs complete reconstruction of Senior Management - not one valuable member on the senior management staff."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The kids smiles when they are enjoying the museum

Cons

no respect from management, treat you like dirt and walk all over you. Want to steal from you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and listen to their employees instead of only thinking that your view is the only one that matters. Worst management i've ever worked with.

"The experience was a nightmare I could not wake up from."

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

The Museum itself provides a needed resource for parents and a safe place for children to play, explore and learn.

Cons

Across the hallway from the wonderful exhibits that echo with the sounds of joy and squeals of delight is the administrative office of The Children's Museum, Seattle. Inside that office there is no joy- only pained faces of once passionate employees suffering from poor management and constant disrespect. The turnover in the year that I worked at the Museum was more than 100%. Staff try to fill the gaps and after awhile barely remember what their job was suppose to be when they were hired. There is no where to go for support or change - there is no Human Resources - there is nothing remotely human about the CEO. The CEO has such a bad reputation that the Museum has lost its Community Partners - The Science Center, The Children's Theatre, the other Childrens Museums in WA State and OR. Even the Board of Directors is negligent - ignoring the high turnover and the pleas of those who believe in the mission and want to save the institution before it is too late.

Advice to Management

If I thought for a minute that it wouldn't fall on deaf ears then I might offer some. My advice is to the Board - WAKE UP! Do some exit interviews. Listen to the hundreds of people that have written you letters. Look at the poor financial situation. If you don't, families of our community will lose this valuable, wonderful, magical Museum.