KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Seattle Credit Union Reviews

Updated Nov 13, 2021

Found 64 of over 65 reviews

2.6
Seattle Credit Union President and CEO Richard Romero  (no image)
Richard Romero
Pros
  • "Great Benefits, Diverse work force and leadership(in 4 reviews)

• "Flexible work schedule and free orca card(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Fear of making senior management upset is used to make management do things that they are not comfortable with(in 12 reviews)

• "On the flip side hard to move on from toxic employees, being short-staffed all the time forces you to(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Finance

1. 5.0

Branch rep

Jul 27, 2021 - Branch Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

good company to work with

Cons

I dont have any cons

CEO

Thank you for the feedback and best of luck on your career! Richard Romero - CEO.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Focus on Inclusion ( of those who agree with the popular point of view)

Nov 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

fully remote; some long time employees are exceptionally nice but underappreciated

Cons

becoming woke and trying too hard to appear socially just and virtuous to kowtow to the woke mob. engaging in identity politics prioritizing race ( very trendy thing to do in seattle) individual is no longer the focus in smcu, you have to bow to the will of the collective. people are underpaid and stretched thin.

CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Seattle Credit Union is very clear on its mission and vision. We are “Seattle’s Partner in Growth and Prosperity”. As we share internally and externally, our organization focuses on underserved and underbanked communities. We take great pride in understanding the needs of our communities and prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion for this reason. We respect everyone’s point of view and encourage people to work for SCU who want to support and align with our mission and values. It appears from your comments that our values do not align with your values and that is ok. I respect your decision to work elsewhere and I hope you find a good fit. Richard Romero - CEO.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good culture, bad job descriptions

Sep 13, 2021 - Card Technician in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

coworkers are cool free coffee free work gym free orca card

Cons

somewhat high turnover rate job description was different than actual job duties performed

CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We are working on Recruitment and Training and Development practices that will focus on job descriptions, career pathing and training curriculums. Richard Romero - CEO.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Was good - is now toxic

Sep 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits and flexibility. Remote/virtual preparedness.

Cons

New leadership in 2021 which has completely undermined the culture and tarnished the work accomplished previously.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

We appreciate the years you spent at SCU and your contributions. Change is difficult to navigate through and we always hope that our employees will embrace it when it’s for the good of the organization and the membership. Unfortunately, there are times when the changes result in an environment that no longer fits an individual’s needs or preferences. Flexibility is needed on both sides for things to move forward in a positive way and in this case, it appears that things did not work out. I always encourage communication, whether through our Teams channels, with your management team or even directly with me so that we can address concerns. I hope you find a place that better fits your needs and that you have great success. Richard Romero - CEO.

5. 1.0

Fake Positivity That Kills

Sep 1, 2021 - Branch Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some great coworkers at the branch level, health insurance is pretty good, can count on having full time hours, paid time off comparable to other financial institutions

Cons

CEO lives in la-la-land, HR is there to hurt you, fake positivity to cover up all the issues going on, constantly shifts to new technology instead of fixing current issues, prioritizes exciting new technology over member experience/comfort/preference/accessibility, pay is below average for industry, “merit increases” are measly, work off the clock is expected, chronic understaffing in every department except the very highest ranks like leadership and HR, high high stress- I developed an eye twitch that has not gone away. For all their talk about justice and equity, they are just another bank that sees employees as tools to be used and tossed aside.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for posting your feelings about SCU. I’m saddened to hear that you feel that I live in “la-la-land” as I take my job very seriously and I have gone out of my way to make sure that every employee has a voice and the ability to contribute their ideas, thoughts and concerns through various channels. I started my career in the branches and I’m very familiar with the front lines. I have ultimate respect for what they do, especially during these challenging times. As we continue to listen through pulse surveys, employee engagement surveys, Teams channels dedicated to employee suggestions, and the CEO Blog on Teams, we will continue to improve the culture. I wish you the best of luck on your career and hope that you find an organization that is better aligned with your needs. Richard Romero – CEO.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Progress being made

Jun 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits, strong focus for DEI

Cons

Not enough support, lack of training

CEO

Thank you for your comments. Yes, progress is being made and we still have work to do. My goal has been to start with feedback from our Employee Engagement Survey and move forward from there. It will take time to adjust, hire the right people and address the many great suggestions from our staff. I am committed to positive changes, based on employee feedback. Thank you and best of luck on your career. Richard Romero – CEO.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Feb 10, 2021 - Collections Specialist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome pace to work, great company

Cons

The operations department is unorganized and disfunctional

CEO

Thank you for the feedback. Recently, we've had significant reorganization and the hiring of new management in order to address issues in the Operations Department. We are confident that the changes will better align our resources and our staff in order to better serve our internal employees and our membership. Thank you for the feedback! Richard Romero - CEO.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

No promotion opportunities, no raises, EXTREME burn out

Feb 24, 2021 - Branch Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good health benefits, ORCA card

Cons

There is zero training whatsoever. The level of accountability expected from lower-waged staff is much higher than management. Due to the lack of training, it's common for one person within a department to hold most of the knowledge, so when they leave? The information is gone. Additionally, if someone leaves the credit union, it's pretty common to find out that that person was just not doing an essential function of their job due to lack of training and support from the org. Seattle Credit Union expects you to be a "jack of all trades" and a "self starter" in the most literal sense. They will have you take on another department's job while offering zero flexibility of the other work you have and with zero training. Seattle Credit Union claims they value empathy and finding room within the gray area, but their one person HR team will roadblock you immediately if you attempt to bring something to her attention. If you want your concerns to be taken seriously, reporting it to a manager will just result with it getting swept under the rug by not just the manager but also the executive team. If you want to grow within the company you work for, Seattle Credit Union is not the place- they value external hires and temps over their own staff and make that pretty well known. The CEO is completely out of touch, once referred to people making under 50k a year as poor- most of his staff makes less than that because Seattle Credit Union does not offer competitive wages. And lastly, they claim they are committed to DEI when they have a history of being blatantly transphobic and ableist, which has been well documented by employees as well as tolerating abuse and racism from their own members towards staff. I've been gone short of a year and I'm still realizing the lasting affects that Seattle Credit Union left on me mentally due to the extreme burn out now that I am at a company that treats their employees like humans. What it ultimately boils down to is that Seattle Credit Union has a history of making decisions that adversely affect the members' experience, and instead of addressing the flaws- whether that is from lack of training, a bad roll out, etc, Seattle Credit Union doesn't do that. Instead, they allow their members to take their aggression out on their staff instead of holding themselves (upper management) accountable; and with lack of advancement opportunities, this leads to a recipe for disaster when it comes to staff and their overall well being at the company.

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Just after this review, we conducted an intensive Employee Engagement Survey. I personally reviewed over 300 written comments and distilled them into 12 major initiatives that I reviewed with the entire staff at a quarterly All-Staff Meeting. We have work to do regarding training and development and over the last few months, we’ve hired a new Chief People Officer and are currently reinventing the entire HR Department in order to better support our employees. Thank you and best of luck on your career. Richard Romero – CEO.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Be Cautious

Feb 19, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Credit unions are a great place to work.

Cons

Upper management was not honest with employees. They held grudges and would fire people for false reasons.

6 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your comments. We are currently working on rebuilding the Executive Team and making changes to our culture. I’m sorry you felt that our culture was toxic and I can assure you things are changing for the positive. Thank you and best of luck, Richard Romero – CEO.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

SCU would like to think its as large as Sound Credit Union but Invest in staffing as if it had 4 branches

Jan 22, 2021 - Branch Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits, Diverse work force and leadership

Cons

Compensation is poor, Aspirations of Company are not supported by investment into workforce, every position is a blended role and is over worked, undercompensated and never properly titled, Company does not like to promote or hire from within, poor communication from leadership to front line staff, protocols are not centralized and differ within different departments.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for the feedback. Seattle Credit Union is growing and is adjusting to the new economy and world we live in. I cannot address your comments about wanting to be like “Sound Credit Union” as they are not similar to us in mission and vision and we do not aspire to be like “any other credit union”. We are addressing staffing and have opened many positions within the operations areas and branches. Given our focus on banking underserved communities, we must hire people who understand how to deal with credit issues and solve complex financial challenges. This takes a special type of employee. Richard Romero – CEO.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 64 Reviews