Seattle Times Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Seattle Times Publisher and CEO Frank A. Blethen
Frank A. Blethen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There was a great work/life balance, fair compensation and lots of opportunity for growth (in 14 reviews)

• Awesome co-workers, ton of opportunities to write and create content, fun work environment, lots of opportunities to pitch stories to editors (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Newspaper industry is on the decline, perks are few (but very appreciated (in 9 reviews)

• The business model is broken, and has been broken for many years (in 5 reviews)

"Challanges notwithstanding, optimism abounds at The Seattle Times"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

The company is committed to quality - quality of its products (newspaper, websites), a quality workplace/environment, quality people, etc. The people are its greatest asset; everyone is committed to doing a good job, to working together as a team, to making good business decisions, and respecting each other's thoughts, opinions, feedback, etc. The Seattle Times' brand is strong and well-respected; there's a tremendous amount of pride and satisfaction in working here, knowing a very large portion of greater Seattle relies on our newpaper and websites for their daily news, local info, traffic, weather, etc. It's incredibly gratifying to work for a company tasked with keeping their finger on the pulse of such a diverse, eclectic city like Seattle.

Cons

The newspaper industry as a whole is struggling to find the business model necessary to sustain long-term viability and growth - and it's no different at the Times. While the online division of the company is well positioned for both long-term profitability and viability, the print division is experiencing decreased advertising revenues, staff reductions, and questions of how to re-invent itself in order to remain Seattle's #1 source of news and information. Senior Management is addressing those issues head-on but what the final outcome will be remains to be seen. Secondary to the business challenges, the commute downtown is no fun at all.

Advice to Management

Never underestimate the power or importance of soliciting feedback from the rank and file and, more significantly, acting on it. Suggestions abound at the operational level of the organization regarding options to consider, suggestions, etc but challenges in how to effectively solicit, compile, and communicate them to senior management can limit or stifle their visibility. Also, follow Microsoft's lead in allowing commuters with laptops to log their time spent online while commuting to count as official time in the workday.

"One of the best places I've worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Economic and industry conditions forced me out, otherwise I'd have stayed for life. The Times' pay and benefit package were far more generous than other companies I've worked for, including so-called "best companies." Great health and dental; four weeks' vacation after five years; etc. Senior and mid-level managers in the newsroom are smart, talented and great to work with. And I don't care what anybody says, Frank Blethen is a good guy who made some unfortunate mistakes. But it's unfair to blame the company's woes on his management without acknowledging the state of the industry. I hope he and his family can make it through this trough.

Cons

By the time I left the workload had become pretty intense -- resources shrunk, but not expectations. Don't know if that's changed.

Advice to Management

Don't give up. Seattle needs you.

"Excellent place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seattle Times has an excellent work-life balance and great opportunities for career growth. Very friendly co-workers and work environment, a family-oriented culture. It's an exciting time as we re-invent ourselves in the news industry, and there are many opportunities for doing new and exciting things. Managers give you freedom to work on things that can make an impact and creativity is encouraged. From what I've experienced there's a very cooperative and non-hierarchical work environment.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative

4. "Editor"

Current Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prestige, demanding, lots of resources

Cons

not a good creative environment, a lot of projects are not collaborative unless it's Seahawks-related or something the paper makes money with.

Advice to Management

Think they should be on the ground more, think they don't have a true grasp of how their team works.

5. "Continuous improvement and a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Times full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has been reinvigorated with new mid and senior level management, new technology & digital products, an emphasis on excellence, and a drive to be the best. The integrity of the paper and the news team in unmatched.

I've worked at great companies and horrible companies, and I honestly rank this one as one of the best. The people, atmosphere, culture, work-life balance, and initiatives really make this an enjoyable place to be. I have only been here for under 1 year, and have heard stories about the way things "used to be". I can't speak to that, all I can reference is what is going on now - which is great!

Cons

The parking lot was sold and parking at some point in the future will be, interesting. While not really a con because it is good, the 401(k) match could be a little more.

Advice to Management

The only advice that comes to mind is - have some company-wide social events. Holiday party, summer BBQ, etc.

6. "Great environment, influential company"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

The Seattle Times really makes a difference in the community through their journalism. You feel like you are an important part of the process-- helping the news get delivered to the doors of loyal subscribers.

Cons

The newspaper industry is changing, and the evolution of the industry is causing diminished staffing to handle the execution and delivery of the print product.

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Times full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an outstanding company! Large enough to offer plenty of options but still maintains the family owned feel. This company is dedicated to providing the best service and information to all if their customers.

Cons

There is always the perception that the print is dying. Being involved in this organization proves there is a very bright future ahead in the print and digital space!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Account Manager/Marketing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Marketing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, direction, atmosphere

Cons

lack of advanced training

Advice to Management

Training, and better relations with employees

9. "Great place to work"

I worked at Seattle Times full-time

Pros

Get good experience, working on a lot of different kinds of stories.

Cons

Recently had to cut the budget and more than a dozen people accepted buyouts.

Advice to Management

Retain young talent - they are the ones who can work quickly and across all platforms.

10. "Wonderful internship experience at The Seattle Times"

Former Employee - Writer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Writer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike many internships offered to college students, this internship was paid, highly structured, and meant to truly offer the student an educational experience.

Cons

The only con is that the internship is only three months! I would love to have stayed even longer.

Advice to Management

None!