Seattle University Reviews | Glassdoor

Seattle University Reviews

Updated June 10, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people, often with the best intentions and loads of experience (in 8 reviews)

• Great work environment, plenty of opportunities to work on your studies during down-time (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Obscenely low pay in the face of a university who is blowing a serious wad on anti-unionization efforts (in 6 reviews)

• Students and staff and faculty do, though, and it seems to confuse administration as to why people join in unionization protests all the time (in 3 reviews)

1. "No respect for staff"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with directly are great, but the university it set up in such a way that the staff are continuously disrespected. In order to get a raise/title change, you need to rely on your supervisor to do all the advocating for you, and depending on your relationship, that's not always going to happen. Academic staff are frequently and consistently left off important committees, even when the decisions that come out of said committees directly impact them. We are grossly underpaid (there are some Graduate Assistants that make more than staff with Master's degrees), and the process for reclassifying your position--which is the only way to get more than a 2% raise--is extremely opaque.

Cons

Again, the people I work with directly are great. I have a ton of flexibility with my hours and working from home when needed. The students I work with a amazing.

Advice to Management

The staff help run the university. I'm worried the culture of the university needs to change in order for the staff to get the respect they deserve, which is a much larger change than just paying us more and remembering that we exist. If it is a culture change that is needed, I'm not sure all the management will survive.

2. "Staff member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Outstanding mission, beautiful campus in a couldn't-be-better location, lots of people who believe in their work and love what they do. Excellent benefits, including tuition.

Cons

Woeful pay and precious little room for advancement and/or professional growth. A few administrators make terrifically inflated salaries while FT staff scramble in an expensive market to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging students and empowering them. Be willing to engage with them and hear what they have to say.

"Sucks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Students are nice and all

Cons

No growth, bad management, low wages, union-busting university that wastes money left and right and spits on staff.

Advice to Management

You suck.

4. "Great community, flexibility"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good pay, engaged colleagues, and the size means ease of speaking to higher-ups.

Cons

Transparency with upper administration could use some work, this is more a university-wide problem

5. "Orientation Coordinator"

Former Employee - Orientation Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Orientation Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership experience, excellent staff

Cons

Demanding role, poor compensation
    Difficult balance of role with peers and as leader

6. "Senior Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle University (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, depending on the department- great people

Cons

terrible pay and very little room to grow and move up

7. "Excellent!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Seattle University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong educational values as well as staff and faculty who know their material. Even as a graduate student working as a tutor, the professors were approachable and caring.

Cons

As you can imagine, pay is not that great. Few universities and colleges pay well unless you are a professor in a tenure track position.

Advice to Management

There are things you can learn from people who were or have been in private industry. Be willing to engage with them and hear what they have to say.

8. "Writing Center-- positive environment for a student"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Working at the Writing Center has been extremely helpful for me to grow as a professional student. It's taught me how to handle deadlines, prioritize, and react in stressful situations.

Cons

The writing center's scheduling method can sometimes be stressful (its an Excel document) and would be easier streamlined if we had an online scheduler (but its something that everyone's working on.)

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging students and empowering them. Jen Heckler and Angie Jenkins are true beacons of light in the center, they inspire me to do better every single day.

"balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle University (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing city, parks, public transportation, events, restaurants. It is a city with many neighborhoods which are truly small towns, so if you dont like one area, you can move to another city. Really love the French bakeries in town.

Cons

Rain, gray weather.... It is difficult for Texans to survive the gray skies and the wetness. Also, rents are so very expensive, and although there is a lot to do, it is difficult to afford this city.

Advice to Management

Support your employees in finding and securing affordable housing that is near good public transportation, because otherwise, commutes for ten miles can be up to an hour or hour and a half long.

10. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University (Less than a year)

Pros

Defined tasks. No micro-management. Nice campus and location. You can work and study, that's a plus.

Cons

Limited oppurtunities. Compensation is not great.