Second Sight Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Quality Review Specialist"

Former Employee - Quality Systems Records Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Quality Systems Records Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Second Sight (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of very educated professionals working at Second Sight. Smart and humorous coworkers make for a fun place to go to work every day.

Cons

Sometimes working with very smart people, egos can get in the way, and posturing can slow the wheels of progress. Training can be an issue.

Advice to Management

Remind employees it's not about them. It's about the customers we help every day.

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - California in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - California in Sylmar, CA

I worked at Second Sight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most innovative product in medical device industry

Cons

small size company,,, for now but growing fast

"Employee beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sylmar, CA

I worked at Second Sight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are a good con man/woman, you can get away with anything and you will be loved.

Cons

If you are a productive employee and accomplish things, but lack the ability to con management, you will fail.

Advice to Management

Learn How to manage

"Good Work Experience for Starting Engineers"

Former Employee - R&D Engineer in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - R&D Engineer in Sylmar, CA

I worked at Second Sight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative product, pretty good crew of employees and management.

This is Al Mann's poster child, so he will not let it die. Mann's got a pretty good track record of enduring through a difficult development period to a successful end product.

The company has a tight budget, so they tend to hire low cost engineers fresh out of college. This is a great opportunity to get your feet wet in medical device engineering.

Cons

Most of the interesting research and development work has already been done. What's left are mainly just the tedious chores of manufacturing operations and regulatory paperwork.

Compensation and opportunity for advancement is not good, so most engineers will want to move on to something else after a couple years.

I'm not convinced the product itself deserves the hype it has received or the stock valuation. Actual product performance in patients has been mixed, but only the best performing patients have been highlighted in publicity. I expect many patients will be disappointed by low quality and low utility of "vision" that the device actually offers, and the long term sales will flounder. This device will not have the impact and market footprint of something like a cochlear implant or pacemaker. Also, I fear there is a high risk that the company's one product will be made obsolete by alternative treatment options, such as stem cell treatment. I worry that the IPO may have been conceived as a cash grab for the owners, so that they can milk the cow for another 10 years before it goes dry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and pray that your product suddenly starts working better and sales improve.

"Great company to start out as a young engineer, but is held back by a lack of advanced opportunities and compensation."

Current Employee - Engineer in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sylmar, CA

I have been working at Second Sight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a small company and as an engineer, you will have many responsibilities in a wide variety of work. The people you will work with are all very easygoing and pleasant. The culture is fairly laid back, although that may depend on the department you are in. The company mission is very interesting and if you want to contribute directly to the creation of new medical technology, this is the place. If you are extremely self motivated and willing to teach yourself and pursue your own projects, you will definitely have the freedom to do so here.

Cons

The management of projects has not been very good. There is the habit of picking up many small projects and losing focus on the big picture. A significant amount of the work is not towards real, forward progress of the product, but rather just fixing manufacturing mistakes or making insignificant changes. Upper management seems afraid of making big changes because of regulatory burden, but such is the nature of the medical device industry. The worst thing about the company has to be compensation. It is much lower than you would expect for the talent required, and as a result the turnover, especially for younger engineers, is very high. Nearly everyone has left after 2-3 years for much better pay elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Maintain focus on larger projects and try to acquire some specialization with your engineers. Increase compensation so you can hold onto talent.

"Pitiful to waste such fabulous potential"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sylmar, CA

I have been working at Second Sight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees want to help humanity.

Cons

Very poor management - seem to be incapable of making a decision, they get together in a group to hire consultants to make their decisions for them. Has done a couple of layoffs that they don't call layoffs - those of us remaining call them a layoff and wonder when it will be our turn. After these layoffs which are supposed to be about saving money, they hire more consultants - are they working for free?

Advice to Management

Most of the people you need to move forward are looking for another gig, is that really what you want?

"FDA Approval & Lay Off at the same time?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sylmar, CA

I have been working at Second Sight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Founded by one of the greatest inventors of the 20th Century - Al Mann

Cons

company doesn't know how to manage its money or its people - we are celebrating fda approval at the same time we are laying off employees without any warning - this will be a fun party (fail).

Advice to Management

go take a class or bring in a consultant but learn how to motivate people and encourage them to give their best. a site like mint can help you learn to manage money so we aren't laying off when we should be kicking into high gear.

8. "Great technology to treat advanced Retinitis Pigmentosa"

I have been working at Second Sight full-time

Pros

To use my knowledge to help blind people to see

Cons

No cons for Second Sight Medical Products Inc.

9. "Forcing themselves down the drain"

I worked at Second Sight full-time

Pros

The board is good and helps many people. The product could help a lot of people.

Cons

Very out dated processes and CYA management. No teamwork, everyone is out to get eachother and put blame on someone else for their own mistakes.

Advice to Management

Make your teams work effeciently or fire the managers who are too scared to lose their jobs to make a difference. Your teams are hindering your growth and losing your investment money.

10. "Innovative company"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Second Sight (More than 3 years)

Pros

First of a kind technology to help blind patients
    Laid-back
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Management team lack good decision and often hesitate in moving forward
    Politics between departments which made the products quality low
    Poor QA department