Secure-24 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 29, 2017

4.0
Mike Jennings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good for most but can be a challenge depending on the team and customers you are assigned (in 7 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn about new technologies are unlimited (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely horrendous work/life balance once you leave the initial helpdesk position (in 11 reviews)

• Suffers from a lot of favoritism among upper management (in 9 reviews)

"Decent company with a fun culture but lacks structure"

Former Employee - Senior TSR in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Senior TSR in Southfield, MI

I worked at Secure-24 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone working at Secure-24 was friendly and felt more like family. It is a pretty laid back environment, Nerf darts constantly flying through the air. There was a lot of fun had, food brought in for everyone, parties, family friendly events and holiday get togethers etc etc. They encourage furthering your education with Cert reimbursements, interest free loans, an online "University" and catalog of courses. Allowed working from home and a flexible schedule. Great benefits.

Cons

A majority of employees were more about the play and not so much the work aspect. It sucks you in and drags you down if you let it. The training at the beginning of the job was absolutely irrelevant to the work itself. Our trainer spent most days talking about video games, movies and anime.. When we hit the floor we had no idea how DIFFICULT and STRESSFUL the job itself would be and caused me the most intense stress and anxiety I had suffered in years. Everyone would offer to help in a heartbeat when you first meet them but when you actually NEED HELP it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of anyone. The employees that would move up in the company would put a wall between themselves and their previous position/co workers and treated the service desk as unimportant and annoying. The Level 1 support who speaks directly to customers and dealing with their loose emotions got it the worst from all ends. Having worked in multiple large helpdesk environments I tried to offer suggestions and ideas in order to help make everything work better and streamline.. It landed on deaf ears no matter who it was relayed to. There was no communication between ANYONE and nothing would get done unless you yourself saw to it personally every single step of the way.. While also having your "Team Leaders" blowing up your messenger asking why you're in "Not Ready" instead of taking calls and complain when your tickets are slightly sloppy or rushed but also be on the phones constantly and make sure you resolve every single issue. The processes in place were old and outdated. The documentation was vague and difficult to decipher unless you had months of experience working there.. They wpould sign big contracts and bring giant clients onboard to support, not knowing anything about that client, not giving anyone in the service desk a heads up or training.. And then just dropping that client on our laps the next day expecting us to know all programs that client used and supporting their IT infrastructure.. No joke, we signed a new client at one point and NO ONE EVEN KNEW. Not until they scheduled us all for a "Training" session and gave us a quick 15 minute overview.. When I asked "When will this client start contacting us for support" the "Trainer" responded: Tomorrow.. No wait! Today.

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATION

2. "Great company"

Pros

-Benefits
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Opportunities to grow
    -Positive and affirming environment.
    -Great coworkers

Cons

-Disciplinary process
    -Rough rollouts for new customers

Advice to Management

I think there is sometimes too much of a focus on growth and not getting it right. New customer rollouts could be smoother. Consequences for not meeting goals should be clearly outlined and enforced.

3. "Performance Consultant"

I worked at Secure-24 full-time

Pros

Growing company in Innovative field

Cons

It is Southfield, Michigan based

Advice to Management

team members require opportunity for growth

"Great Benefits, Great Work/Life Balance, Offer much to learn"

I worked at Secure-24 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company provides unlimited vacation, free healthcare for your family, and very flexible with your schedule, i.e, work from home, no clocking in/out, etc. Great company for entry level ppl to move up.

Cons

Not much room for movement for senior level positions. Management is lacking at multiple levels could improve. Frat house type of culture, if your looking for more professionalism, stay away. Suffers from a lot of favoritism among upper management.

Advice to Management

Slow the revolving door of management. Be more social to everyone you manage instead of certain individuals.

5. "Analyst"

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time

Pros

Love working here best job I ever had.

Cons

It can be hard to be noticed in the company

"Great work/life balance makes up for low base salary"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- They seem to hold people accountable for their actions, or inaction.
    - Lots of documentation on processes. Sometimes it's not the most up to date, but you can usually get the info you need from the ticketing system.
    - Full benefits, no cost
    - Mostly good people, the bad ones are filtered out.
    - Provide training if you're willing
    - When you're off the clock, you're off the clock.
    - Very flexible with vacation time

Cons

- Low base salary compared to other jobs
    - Some engineers are difficult to work with

"This is a good company to learn and gain experience at."

Pros

1 year of experience is worth 3 anywhere else. The learning potential is amazing due to the number of environments and the IOC academy model for those that are trying to gain entry into IT.
    The people are great.
    Most of the senior leadership is great to work with.
    There is a ton of technology to work on.
    They do treat the staff very well with great events, parties, get togethers, and a full benefits package.
    The CEO is a respected leader and a down to earth person.

Cons

The work load can be heavy at times when multiple large projects come in at the same time. Resource planning is not the best.

"Cool work place with great opportunities"

Current Employee - IOC Analyst in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - IOC Analyst in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Benefits
    A lot of opportunities in other technical and non-technical fields
    Bonuses for technical certifications
    Paid training and Certification reimbursement
    Work Hard, Play Hard
    Open Door policy with management
    Company Outings

Cons

work-life balance is tough with varying hours
    company is going through changes at the moment and that is holding up some employee advancements
    pay rate is below normal compared to other companies

9. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - SAP Basis Administrator in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - SAP Basis Administrator in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very dynamic environment. One of the few places where employer fully pays for health care with no paycheck deduction. People are very profession and easy to work with.

Cons

Growing company, but not very planned.

"Extremely Technical, yet lacking in Management transparency. Great place to work, IF you can handle it."

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The positives of working for this company are hands down, the technical experience and expertise. At least on my team. Since I have been here, my capacity for learning has skyrocketed (every day was a learning experience), and my understanding of even theoretical applications to solve a problem has been outstanding. They are not afraid of technology, and pushing its boundaries. Another pro is the people. There are good and bad people at every company, and Secure-24 has its share of both. The pro, is that the current "good" people really identify with us as individuals. I have VP's asking me how my family is doing, and my director makes sure that if he can help it, my time with my family is not interrupted. (See cons for the reverse of this). The team I work on is extremely loyal, and there isn't a single person on my team who I wouldn't help out in a heartbeat both personally and at work. I cannot speak for other teams about this level, but for my team, this is how it is.

My last pro, is a new program here that is seeking to bridge the communication and workflow between the teams. We have floating engineers who work in the areas where other engineers work, so they can better understand their process flow and expedite requests from two areas who may be disjointed. I have worked for a few companies (from the billions of dollars in revenue, to the "mere" millions) and I can tell you from experience, this is a great thing to have implemented.

Cons

A lot of the cons come from the fact that the company is undergoing change. A management level change that extends from the Board of Directors, all the way to the Director(s) layers... is bound to create some issues. It is a growth thing. It is a maturity thing. The lessons learned from adding in multiple management layers, is ALWAYS going to create friction. Being a new person (hired in 2013), this does not bother me. I can see how it would impact long time employees, however that is not my perspective, so I cannot comment on things I have not been here for.

Another con, has been my work life balance. When multiple projects collide, and resources are spread thin.. you can essentially guarantee yourself a high amount of hours until project completion. If you cannot handle an occasional 55+ hour week, then this may not be a good fit.

Another con, is the stress level. Depending on your skill level, and the expectation of your skills, you can expect that more skill will typically equate to more stress. You need to enjoy challenge and adversity in your daily work. If you cannot handle that, this may not be a good place for you.

My last con. This is an engineering company. Fire the people who cannot do more than just push buttons after 6 months of ramp up time. They drag the teams down, they slow down progress, and in general.. make you shake your head at having to explain basic concepts to someone, over and over again. This whole policy of moving incompetent people to new teams so they can start all over, is mind-boggling to me.

Advice to Management

I honestly think Secure-24 is in a good place.Secure-24 has reached a threshold where a young and up-coming company now transitions to a long-term mature and stable company.

I get frustrated with things but when I stop and think about the long term, and I have been included in the VISION for the company.. it gives me a sense of purpose. My biggest advice... stop making management changes to the company without communicating it to the employees. Things have changed every quarter, we as employees are on the fence about whether you truly have OUR best interests at heart, or your money.

Choose the people who bust their butts for you, and watch your organic growth continue to happen.