Secureworks Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 24, 2020

2.8
Secureworks President and CEO Mike Cote
Mike Cote
  1. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Secureworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Feel empowered to grow, create and add value. Good managers, great culture and no big egos so far

Cons

Need to be a self leader to thrive otherwise you may feel lost and unmotivated

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to motivate team members who aren't great a self leadership. Establish buddy systems for newbies

Secureworks2020-01-24

"Great Place to Work"

Senior Principal Software Engineer in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Secureworks for more than 3 years

Pros

Use of new and leading technologies.

Cons

Not much to say here

Secureworks2017-03-27
  3. "An internet security service company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Secureworks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Teams work together to get things done

Cons

Not much career advancement if stay several years

Advice to Management

Encourage career advancement

Secureworks2017-03-03
  4. "Dell SecureWorks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer/Co-op in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Secureworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

can work from home almost everyday

Cons

no individual projects for co-ops. tons of junit tests, automation tests, ui bugs

Advice to Management

more individual projects for co-ops

Secureworks2016-10-04

"Not a place for professionals."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Secureworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

They may pay for you to travel. If you spend enough time there, you will be promoted, but people who do not deserve promotions will also receive them. The bonuses are good even if pay lags behind competitors.

Cons

Creativity and innovation are not only discouraged but actively punished. You will be expected to churn out the same solutions to new problems without ever making improvements or changes of any kind. You will be expected to do things the exact way Secureworks has always done them. You will not be expected to know how to engineer solutions to new problems: you will be expected to know how to copy and paste code. There is a culture of meeting the status quo at Secureworks. Management is lost. I was hired before my project was planned and ready because a middle manager did not want to lose his budget surplus. I was temporarily placed on another team that failed to communicate with me and decided not to assign me work because I would leave them for a new team at some point. On my new team, there was no work to do for the first month because the project goals had never been finalized. About 6 months into my employment, my manager was changed out for a new manager and I was not told. I continued to contact my old manager and eventually the new manager got mad at me for not communicating with him. Our projects had no direction. During my first few months on my project, we changed our goals bi-weekly. We ended up thrashing because we could not settle on strategies, technologies or even end goals. Our managers would rarely pay attention but would attend meetings just to get mad at us for being off schedule. Secureworks is a failed meritocracy. Our managers rarely attended meetings and rarely held 1-on-1s so they relied on reports to make their judgement. The senior most member of the team would take all of the user stories for himself. He would complete enough to claim the story points but left many errors and holes because most of his work was copied from others' work which he did not understand. The remaining work would fall on the team to fix his half-complete job. Then, the manager would praise that senior engineer then chew me out for not completing new user stories. Management should re-evaluate their priorities. A co-worker of mine was sent a very nasty email for missing a meeting because he had an appointment with his doctor, which was scheduled long before the meeting. Working for home left most team members very lonely and depressed.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is happening on your teams. You cannot be an absentee leader. You cannot conduct performance evaluations if you are not around to see the performance. If you are not present, you will look like a fool to your employees when you ask obvious or irrelevant questions. Have a plan to move ahead before starting movement. Do not hire someone without a project for that employee to work on. When you have a project, have goals and clearly communicate those goals. Make your daily meetings about where you are in relation to your end state. Care about your employees. They are not code-producing robots. If someone is under-performing or absent, talk to them before you discipline them. There may be a reason your employee is not at their best state. Do not blame your employee for the confused mess that is Secureworks culture and management.

Secureworks2016-03-25

"It depends on the team"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Secureworks full-time

Pros

Some teams have a lot of strong people and exciting challenges. You might never get bored if you have the right manager and team. You can work remotely.

Cons

Excessive technical debt leads to excess of outages. Inadequate testing, process and infrastructure. Good people burn out and leave. Lack of coordination and communication.

Advice to Management

Hire real software engineers in test. Have a plan for slashing tech debt. Communicate that plan and execute it. Try to emulate top tech companies in culture and agility.

Secureworks2016-01-15
  7. "Great place to work, lot of growth potential"

Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Secureworks

Pros

Growth, Newer technologies, work-life balance, benefits, team members

Cons

location, no training, none, none, none

Advice to Management

None

Secureworks2015-02-16

"A great work environment with a decent codebase"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Secureworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

comfortable, easygoing work environment; friendly and knowledgeable coworkers; stable job and income; telling people you work for Dell; free coffee

Cons

excessive and overwhelming use of email; some internal workflows can be overly time-consuming; lack of focus on UI design and user experience

Secureworks2012-10-31

"Good place to work, some bureaucracy"

Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Secureworks

Pros

Cool technology, meaningful impact, great people

Cons

IT Bureaucracy and integration issues (with Dell IT), HR Bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Make IT issues simpler.

Secureworks2012-02-12

"You can do better."

Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Secureworks

Pros

Company is fiscally fantastic, making money hand over fist. It's Unix systems and services programming. Nice location.

Cons

Old school management style. Lots of micromanagement. Rather stingy with programmer computing resources. Management is a little behind the curve on what you can and cannot use in an employee review. Little guidance, because the product managers and engineering management don't know what they want. There is never any push back from engineering when sales or prod. mgmt asks for invalid features.

Advice to Management

That engineering group could be so much better if you just removed the old school, 1970's style engineering management and used people that have come up through the security industry instead of bringing in outside people that just know how to manage in general; a mobile marketing app, on-line banking, a phone book web site.

Secureworks2011-01-03