Security Industry Specialists Reviews | Glassdoor

Security Industry Specialists Reviews

Updated 3 Sep 2019

3.1
Security Industry Specialists CEO John Spesak (no image)
John Spesak
Pros
  • "Good pay, fast hiring process, and it's ridiculously easy(in 25 reviews)

• "Great pay for the field in my area(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management will fire you at will(in 20 reviews)

• "Some fit the job others had little to no experience in the field and relied on bullying tactics(in 9 reviews)

1. "Great Employer"

Former Employee - Security Operations Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at Security Industry Specialists full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Stable Leadership *Fair treatment *Great Training *Communicates effectively *Constructive Feedback

Cons

None that I can think of

Security Industry Specialists2019-08-06
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Security Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Security Industry Specialists part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management is great and does a good job managing its employees schedules and whatnot. Pay is better than any other company i have worked for. The environment is great too. Coworkers are nice and friendly.

Cons

There is no fixed post. Supervisor rotates employees to different posts on site. Graveshifts can be tiresome if you don't get good rest during the day. If you get caught sleeping, you are either given a written notice or fired. That depends on the situation i think. But sleeping will definitely get you fired. No words asked.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Security Industry Specialists2019-09-04
  3. "Awesome job!"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Security Industry Specialists full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people to work with and the clients were amazing!

Cons

The gossiping around upper management

Advice to Management

I enjoy a friendly workplace where you can feel like you can speak your mind but there should be some confidentiality, otherwise the staff is awesome

Security Industry Specialists2019-08-28
  4. "Good company, decent benefits, decent place to work"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Security Industry Specialists full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free meals, uniforms, snacks, commuter stipend, set schedule, friendly site, easy going chain of command, salary for supervisors

Cons

Slow hiring process, some people slip through the cracks and are not reliable, salary for supervisors

Advice to Management

Communication is key, having more opportunities to grow an advance would be nice

Security Industry Specialists2019-08-02

"Underpaid for a massive client contract"

Current Employee - Specialist in Cupertino, CA

Pros

It’s easy to get a job here

Cons

Managed poorly, micro managed heavily, specialists aren’t treated well. They just made every specialist part time, you have to request hours weekly on a first come first serve basis. They over hired massively and just let go a ton and they are still hiring....????? Where’s the logic behind this?

Advice to Management

If I’m the client I’d be asking myself does this management need to be replaced? Why so much turnover???? Are our employees being treated fairly? Are we giving them wages to live in the Bay Area???? Nope they can spin the wheel and maybe they’ll get a 40 hour work week or maybe 8 hours. You decide how that sounds, expect more turnover at this rate

Security Industry Specialists2019-08-29

"Smaller Security Company - Numerous Staffing / Client Issues"

Former Employee - Security Specialist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Security Industry Specialists part-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive wages and benefits. Easy, but extremely boring, work.

Cons

Standing at a podium, rising to greet employees up to eight hours a day. Constant turnover of employees and supervisor. Multiple people to report on every shift. Punishment for even the smallest offense. Numerous terminations and resignations. No managers with formal management training. Client policies are unreasonable and biased against older and minority workers

Advice to Management

Hire professional management and supervisory personal.

Security Industry Specialists2019-08-04

"Looks good on paper"

Former Employee - Security Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Security Industry Specialists part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible Hours - Certain campuses are more lenient and friendly than others. - Good pay for students

Cons

- Most campuses and events require that you stand the entire shift. We are humans - our joints start hurting a lot after a certain amount of time. - Breaks and lunches were always given at an inconvenient time. - The company treats you like you’re just a body, not an actual person. My first shift, I wasn’t trained properly and I was put at the worst post possible. - Upper management, such as certain watch... commanders, don’t use their position to set an example for the specialists. Instead they use threatening tactics to uplift their egos.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they’re human. If having to stand during the entire shift is a client-based request, then please disregard my complaints about it. But please, for your future employees, don’t let your watch commanders and higher ups talk down to them the way they talked down to me.

Security Industry Specialists2019-08-03
  8. "SIS Security"

Former Employee - Security Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Security Industry Specialists full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is okay, easy to communicate with leadership.

Cons

Management could improve. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Too many great employees go unnoticed, raise of wages for them maybe? Make them want to stay.

Security Industry Specialists2019-08-03

"Honest opinion of SIS"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Security Industry Specialists full-time

Pros

Room for growth. Got promoted in less than a year. It's also cool to work for a fortune 500 tech company. Weekly paychecks are something that I got used to during my time at the company! I really did enjoy working with the leadership here. Most of them were great people and very helpful!

Cons

Your schedule will fluctuate and it will drive you crazy. And your 2 days off a week might be split up (Monday & Friday as an example.) It's hard to maintain a healthy work life balance when your schedule moves around so much. Benefits are severely lacking. If you are working at the tech company in Cupertino you will work 5 days a week minimum and work on every holiday mandatory with no pay increase due to... being a salaried employee. Medical & dental is very expensive don't even bother. There is no vacation time or sick time. You must accumulate PTO at a very slow pace. If you've been at the company for less than 5 years you will earn 1.538 of PTO every week if you work 40 hours in that week. In 2 months you will only earn 12.3 hours which isn't even 2 days! It will take a full year of working 40 hours a week to earn 10 days. You will end up taking a lot of time off with no pay in order to hold on to your precious PTO for dear life. This forces employees to always be at work especially living in an area as expensive as the silicone valley. If you have an emergency and have to call off of work and you don't have 8 hours of PTO saved up it will be marked as an unexcused absence. Yikes. There is absolutely no benefit of being an salaried employee. There are no perks whatsoever. At times you will stay longer than your scheduled 8 hour shift and you will not be compensated for it. There is also no scheduled lunch period so you will have to eat on the go all the time and sometimes go without eating.

Advice to Management

Make more incentives to attract those professionals that have other career options & appeal to the person that has a family and other things going on outside of work. I loved working here but felt like I had to plan my life around my work schedule. Work should never be more important than our personal lives. Build a culture that encourages that and you will get the best out of your employees!

Security Industry Specialists2019-07-07
  10. "A sprinkling of good managers"

Current Employee - Corporate Security Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Security Industry Specialists full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, Orca card, location which is easy to get to.

Cons

The times the shifts begin make it extremely hard to take public transportation home or to get to work. No real direction when it comes to who gets hired on to be a manager.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a way to identify good manager. Too many times a new manager is brought aboard who absolutely does not need to be a manager. There's too much emphasis put on "if you're in the military, you'd make a good manager."

Security Industry Specialists2019-06-17