Sedgwick Claims Management Services Reviews in Minneapolis, MN | Glassdoor

Sedgwick Claims Management Services President and CEO Dave North
Dave North

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not what it could be (in 67 reviews)

• no work life balance too much work (in 33 reviews)

1. "Sedgwick Review"

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and promotes from within

Cons

none at this time, thank you

Advice to Management

Continue to ask case manager for suggestion on process improvement

"High stress, low pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Generous amount of PTO
    -401K matching
    -Flexible with scheduling
    -Medical w/ option for a HSA, dental, vision
    -Opportunities to further industry knowledge, personal growth and development

Cons

-Highly stressful
    -Difficult to perform well and meet expectations while maintaining a healthy work-life balance
    -Difficult to use the generous PTO due to the workload
    -Understaffed
    -The office feels like a revolving door due to the unnaturally high amount of staff turnover
    -Low office morale due to stress - literally heard people having panic attacks at their cubes because of the level of stress they're dealing with.
    -Disappointing raises
    -Pay is considerably low compared to industry standards, which they justify by the amount of PTO colleagues are given

Advice to Management

Management has been told over and over again that they need to add to staff to help with keep the workload manageable. They've made numerous promises over the years that they'll 'do something' to assist but no meaningful changes are ever implemented. Instead over the years additional tasks have been added to the ever increasing work load and the ever growing job expectations. Staff would have no issues with these additional expectations if management would recognize that there's a genuine need for more people and actually act on that need.

The raises that are offered to top-performers in the office are disappointing to say the least.

A lot of great people have left because they couldn't deal with the level of stress and the indifference that upper management shows to their concerns. I can't say this enough, but management knows the changes that need to be made to keep people around, but for whatever reason they can't or won't do anything about it.

"Overwhelming"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Medical, dental, 401k

Cons

The claim load is unmanageable. If you're a perfectionist and take pride in a job well done, this is not the place for you. I worked 10-12 hr days and came in on Saturdays and still could not keep up with my claim load. They truly ask you to do the impossible.

Advice to Management

Hire and train more people. Stop accepting new contracts when your employees already have more than enough on their plates.

"Claims Rep"

Current Employee - Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great benefits and perks which are great.

Cons

Management is not great. World is crazy.

"Looks great on an interview, not a job for everybody."

Current Employee - Claims Examiner I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, personable co-workers. A job that looks great on a resume and a job that will be very useful in future interviews.

Cons

Difficult to use the generous amount of PTO given. You will need to work extra hours and be overwhelmed upon returning to the office.

Advice to Management

Lighten up the case load for examiners or pay them more to compensate fairly for the amount of work.

6. "Enjoyable, but not without it's drawbacks."

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time

Pros

I enjoy the work, coworkers and managers are great, great PTO. Supervisors are supportive and friendly (at least the ones I've met.)

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement, tough to take PTO when work just piles up when you are gone.

"The workload is insanely high."

Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good .

Cons

High turnover and unreasonable workload.

Advice to Management

Reduce workload and hire more staff.

"The employer provides job security with a above average paid time off ("PTO") with exception of poor office morale"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner I in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

*Above average PTO (starting at 19 days)
    *Flexible scheduling
    *Direct reporting supervisors are willing to provide effective feedback and assist their employees
    *401(k) is offered with employer-matching up to 50% on contributions under 6% per paycheck. Healthcare is provided through United Healthcare and regional HMOs, with a variety of options in plans.
    *Job security

Cons

The office morale has been declining over the years because of the change in upper (operations level) management. The company focuses on meeting goals (closing ratio, Compass, re-opens, paid claims per year, and etc...) rather than handling the claim and moving the file towards amicable resolution. The work load is very demanding and pay is not up to standard for the workload completed. Some employees say that their work-life ratio is diminished, however, I do not feel that way because I do not give employer more of my time then what I am paid for.

The company has a lack of training. They will through the new employees into a burning fire and let them figure out how to investigate and adjust the claim.

*There is no heavy lifting, but eyestrain and cramps are possible given long, continuous periods working at the computer

Advice to Management

The company does not appreciate the lower level examiners as much as they should. The examiners are the foundation of the company and because the supervisors do not praise the employees very much the office morale goes down hill. I think that the company as a whole needs to provide more effective training measures.