Sedgwick Claims Management Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave North

1,012 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There are times when it is hard to maintain a good work life balance but every industry has a peak season when the work gets tougher" (in 81 reviews)

• "No work life balance, working 50" (in 41 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Claims Assistant in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Claims Assistant in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work; encourages continued education, great people, and nice benefits. Lots of PTO offered.

Cons

Claims assiants are not allowed to work from home.

"rate analyst"

Current Employee - Ratings Analyst in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Ratings Analyst in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You absolutely cant beat the PTO benefits. I have been an employee for 15 years & have 25 days PTO plus 8 holidays.

Cons

typical office politics but nothing too unusual

3. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Disability Team Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Disability Team Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ample PTO, good work life balance, 7.5 hour work days

Cons

because of PTO can easily be short staffed

"Claims Examiner III"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner III in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner III in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Great company with good benefits

Cons

Overworked, stressful, not able to laterally transition to gain more experience with various client

Advice to Management

Allow your team to laterally transfer for cross training / more client experience

"Intake Specialist position"

Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Kingstree, SC
    Former Employee - Intake Specialist in Kingstree, SC

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sedgwick is a great company to work with. The pay could be much better. the hiring process to about a week. I had two phone interviews and was hired. Training hour was M-F 10am-7pm then My schedule changed to 11am-9pm.

Cons

I didn't like the PTO setup. I need off for my wedding vow renewal and other employees before I was hired already had the dates off and it wasn't available after I mention it when I was originally hired.

"Claims Representative"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with - so kind and respectful. Great boss and wonderful supervisor! Great benefits! Professional and friendly. The work itself is enjoyable (to me), and while there, I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. I enjoy the Starbuck's coffee and other amenities of the break-room, as well as a very nice office-space to work in.

Cons

Training has been good - but could be better organized. Con - almost everyone travels a great distance to get to downtown office where the parking is not free. Time to commute (round-trip) is 3.0 hrs. That equals an 11 hour day if you even take a 1/2 hr. lunch. Time at home is limited - exhausted - dinner, one TV show, and then lights out, only to do it all over again, day after day. Going home every day, never feeling like you have caught up, can take a great toll on one's motivation. Most days, it feels as though the amount of knowledge and discretionary decision-making and hard work put in to the job greatly outweighs the rather low salary offered (by competitive standards). If you drive by car, it will cost you at least $160.00 per month plus gas and wear & tear. If you come by bus from a distance, it will still cost you $110.00 per month, plus increased time, plus zero freedom before and afterwards. My question is - if there's so many people in the office who commute great distances, why not either let those people work from home, or move the Seattle office more in that ("southerly") direction? This schedule is taking a huge toll on my life/work balance - as I'm sure it is on others. Still, I am grateful to have this position, to know the people I work with, and to be truly useful in showing people that "caring counts" (the Sedgwick motto).

Advice to Management

Instead of operating by the same expectations of high-turnover, try to understand why such a high-turnover exists and fix it. Be counter-intuitive in your solutions. We live in a different world. For example, do not reward employees after they have reached some monumental mark - reward them all along the way (and for most, this means increased cash flow). Make a deal (in Seattle) either to move out or to provide free parking to employees (and not just some kind of deferred credit off of our yearly taxes - again, people at the bottom need cash flow). One more thing - provide new-hire training (in the "IAP" format) for every single new employee who is new to the business. If there is a fear that so much training up-front will result in tremendous loss, due to turnover - then put the necessary changes in place that will prevent turnover, one of which is a competitive salary. Frankly, it was very humiliating to me to find out that an employee at a famous burger Drive-In, just two blocks away, was paying its employees close to the same hourly wage as myself (except they got free parking)! That's very disheartening to someone who has been to college, has had quite a bit of life-experience, and has had to learn so very much at Sedgwick.

7. "Claims Examiner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sedgwick has a great work environment.

Cons

The pay could be more desirable.

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing environment to work in with wonderful people around in the call center. Had managers that truly cared about you and your personal life, but also on your personal development, and how they could help with your goals for working with the company. Great benefits, and the tuition reimbursement was nice. They were also very flexible with my college schedule.

Cons

Very many levels of bureaucracy within the company, which makes any changes you feel could help hard to ever happen. Some management never had the job at the customer service role and don't personally know what it's like on the front line helping them, and in turn aren't reasonable when discussing stats. Also at the 1st of the year is when people get to bid on vacation time, and it's done in level of seniority. They do this in groups and there's so many hours that can be requested off for each day in the year, so by the time you are able to put in your requests for the days you want off, they may already be all gone, and you are out of luck. 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc..

Advice to Management

I would focus more on what customer service reps have to say, as they are the reason the company moves forward and even is what it is. There is never enough examiners, especially at night, and if it wasn't for these reps the level of satisfaction maintained would plummet and clients would go elsewhere.

"Claims Associate - Adjuster level 1"

Current Employee - Claims Associate in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Associate in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

PTO, Benefits, good work/life balance, able to work autonomously and in a team

Cons

Bend to clients too much, can be hard to move up if you are not favored, pay managed by clients so one group can pay a level 1 $35000, another pays $39000, another pays $45000- no consistency across the board

Advice to Management

When people are trying to move up without their managers knowing please do not send emails to the managers. Also, Sedgwick has a model that works, rather than letting the client overrun that model they should state "we offer this..." There is no telling the client "no" so sometimes the workload can get overbearing and long because we are giving up services that are not in our CSI's.

10. "Ok"

Pros

PTO time and benefits, great people to work with

Cons

Work load, stress, lower management has no authority to really do anything needed to make changes

Showing 1,012 of 1,044 reviews