Seeking Alpha Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The office is right by grand central and work life balance is good (in 4 reviews)

• New York office has a fully-stocked kitchen so I saved a lot of money on snacks each week (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • management overseas is more concerned about reading blogs online and trying to implement these crazy theories into the NY office (in 3 reviews)

• All of this, due in largely in part to inconsistent guidance from the Israel office (in 11 reviews)

1. "Seeking Alpha Writer"

Current Employee - Writer
    Current Employee - Writer

Pros

Great for getting noticed by employers/compensation is great

Cons

PRO article guidelines are a bit unclear

Advice to Management

N/A

"Sales"

I worked at Seeking Alpha full-time

Pros

worked with some amazing people

Cons

Can be a difficult environment to manage

Advice to Management

Work on morale

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Seeking Alpha full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will be given opportunities at Seeking Alpha that can be career changing and you will be given an almost unending stream of them until you aren't. People fall quickly in and out of favor at Seeking Alpha so it is important to stay focused on the task at hand and not take it too seriously while you are on the rise. There is a strong and consistent undercurrent of drama and things often devolve into "us" versus "them" with the belief that if "we" could just get "them" out of the way everything would be fine. It's easy to get sucked into but if you can avoid that Seeking Alpha is an unparalleled place to learn and advance your career.

Cons

Seeking Alpha has a way of bringing out the worst in people. It definitely happened to me and as a result I have revisited my opinions of several former employees. In the end I lost respect for a few people that I had really looked up to and that was almost as difficult as coming to terms with the things I wasn't proud of having done while I was there.

Advice to Management

Israel thinks the US is the problem, the US thinks Israel is the problem. They are both right. Both the US and Isreal are inadvertently creating roadblocks to Seeking Alpha's success and I'm not sure if that can or will ever change. My advice to management would be to take a really uncomfortable look at the company and itself. Fundamentally you have something really valuable that a lot of people including myself believe in.

"NY Office good on paper/poor in practice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Seeking Alpha full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the surface, I found the atmosphere quite collegial and friendly. A stocked bar/pantry and frequent events do wonders for morale. There was, for the most part, no "waiting for the weekend" attitude to the work week. You get the sense that everyone wants to contribute to the company's success.

Cons

The head of the NY office, while nice and generally accessible, is lacking entirely in leadership, employs favoritism, and fosters a culture of gossip. There is a serious lack of a formal HR presence. This makes on-boarding and training a scramble to piece together information from multiple sources on 3 continents. Also rather than there being a safe place to mediate conflict, complaints are met with retaliation and a sense of "deal with it, this is a business". Turnover is outrageous! 33% loss of staff over 9 month period.

All of this, due in largely in part to inconsistent guidance from the Israel office.

Advice to Management

None that would resonate.

5. "Fun place to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Vernon, NY

Pros

Work on your own time, be your own boss, pay monthly, develop your writing skills, editors like giving feedback.

Cons

It is very competitive, not a good fit for those who need structure, pay is monthly and not bi-weekly

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Lots of opportunity, but could be more employee-focused"

I have been working at Seeking Alpha full-time

Pros

Working remotely is a fantastic perk, and you can pretty much make your own career path (growing your skills and scope beyond your existing job description is facilitated and encouraged). A benefit of working for a company that's matured but still operates very much like a startup is that management encourages employees to share ideas, which gives employees the opportunity to be the change they want to see. Management doesn't implement every idea, obviously, but they seem open to new approaches and thoughts on different directions for the company.

Cons

Despite being an entrepreneurial environment and encouraging employees to offer ideas for improvement, SA seems to implement changes slowly, and sometimes it's one step forward, two steps back. Many activities seem like an experiment with no real end in mind. That can be frustrating, as mandates change, and it's not always clear where SA is headed as a company. Furthermore, I'd agree with other reviews that there seems to be a disconnect between management and the goals set in Israel and company locations in the rest of the world.

Additionally, employees really have to be their own advocates. The company does encourage career development, but you need to draw your own map and be very persistent about what you want and need. Compensation is another area where the company is slow to make changes, and employees can go several years without seeing any increase in pay.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in terms of where the company is headed, and offer more explanation as to why certain changes are being implemented. Recognize that employees are your most valuable asset, and they need to feel appreciated and valued, or your best and brightest will leave SA and find other opportunities.

"Cons Outweigh The Pros"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The people you work with are nice and pretty smart. The VPs at the company (in New York) are genuinely good people. You hardly ever hear from upper management. Good stepping stone. Good for young workers just starting out with potential to go to bigger and better things. Really cool office location in Manhattan.

Cons

Upper and middle management that is directionless. The blanket vision of helping investors is consistent, but the ways to get there are basically poorly conceived ideas thrown to the wall to see if they stick. The CEO does things that employees only see & hear about when they show up on the site. Many of these things that have failed elsewhere for the past decade or so.

Turnover is high. Probably because compensation is inadequate and raises are handled horribly. There's no policy I know of for reviews and raises. CEO, in particular, expects a lot but doesn't properly compensate and reward employees for the necessary commitment.

Advice to Management

You're not as visionary as you think. Be more transparent and consistent. Ask yourselves how you'd feel working at a company for 4, 5 years or more and never even being approached about an increase in pay.

"Great experience but disappointing end"

Former Employee - Contributor Acquisition Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Contributor Acquisition Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Seeking Alpha full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working remotely was awesome and the fact that it's a global company where you won't be micro-managed is excellent. Employees are generally happy, friendly and more productive. New York office has a fully-stocked kitchen so I saved a lot of money on snacks each week. Benefits, hours, resources, and vacation packages all are great.

Cons

There's a great disconnect between the management goals set in Israel and the workers in offices around the world. As such, they are trying to grow too much, too fast, and in the wrong ways. Their solution is not to cut costs but rather to cut people in order to save money; which is what happened to me. I was hired for literally 4 months, provided them with a revamped structure of the department, they kept this structure, then terminated my role claiming downsizing but my work was beyond exceptional. Hiring me as a contractor would've made more sense than bringing me on full-time then cutting me out of the blue.

Advice to Management

Get the company's long-term goals straight and determine a plan to get there before you go hiring all kinds of talent you cannot afford. If you're going to keep the current strategy, hire contractors or hire people short term to design strategies. Do not create positions that you cannot maintain.

9. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Seeking Alpha (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seeking Alpha has a fun culture that is flexible and open to trying new ideas. There are also plenty of opportunities to advance your career depending on your commitment and creativity. I moved through several positions over the the last three years, learning about the technical side of digital advertising first and moving into the sales role.

Cons

The company is still growing. You will have an opportunity to receive company stock options and grow with the company, but that involves some uncertainty (just like any other growing company). You have to be flexibility for this position to be a good fit for you. The company growth also is somewhat dependent on the financial market.

Advice to Management

The company has an exciting opportunity ahead, please remain focused on the opportunities available on the advertising side of the business.

"exciting place to work -- too much instability"

I worked at Seeking Alpha full-time

Pros

It was great to be at a company that really valued ideas and innovation. There was a clear emphasis on creating goals and working towards them.

Cons

Too much churn -- there had been a lot of instability in leadership, and eventually I was let go, with some others after around a year, even though they said they were very happy with our work.

Advice to Management

Cultivate good employees rather than ditch them for short-term savings