Seismic Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Easy Going Small Company"

Former Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geophysicist in Houston, TX

I worked at Seismic Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is very interesting. The pros are:
    -Easy going environment
    -Friendly and supportive coworkers
    I really enjoyed my time with this company and have made many friends that I will keep through the years.

Cons

There are some concerns with the company that must be listed as well..
    Cons:
    -Not much room for advancement...
    -No match on 401k
    -Compensation is below industry standard
    -Projects are not stimulating and many times there is not enough work for the amount of people in the office.

Advice to Management

To keep professionals from leaving, consider bumping up salaries and keeping more qualified individuals. Spread the workload around more also...Many employees do not have enough to do, so they are not challenged.

2. "AR"

Current Employee - Anonyous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonyous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Seismic Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, nice office space, good experience

Cons

work location, pay, workload light

3. "Seismic data where you need is"

Former Employee - Data Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Seismic Exchange (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment with friendly people. Everyone is willing to help you get your job done

Cons

Compensation for your work isn't competitive

Advice to Management

Team building activities and higher wages would work wonders

4. "Good for Oil & Gas on the Resume"

I worked at Seismic Exchange full-time

Pros

Good for straight out of college and experience

Cons

Nepotism
    Lack of Training
    No Growth
    Poor Management
    Lack of decent communication as a whole regarding major issues

5. "SEI"

I have been working at Seismic Exchange full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere
    Hours are fairly flexible
    People are all friendly

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much room for advancement as others have suggested. You may become really good at one particular task and then get stuck there.
    Pay is not great, doesn't seem terrible, but it could be better.
    The oil downturn has hurt the company a lot.

Advice to Management

More transparency would be very nice. Seems like most people have no idea what is going on, and just keep their heads down working.

6. "Small Company, Interesting People, Cheap Higher-Ups"

Current Employee - Project Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Seismic Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I like almost everyone I work with
    - For people that like to work for a small company this is one of the best ones
    - The work is interesting
    - Solid industry

Cons

- During hard times no 401k match
    - Good or bad times, raises are hard to come by
    - Usually you get more work, but no new titles or raises

7. "Going downhill..."

I worked at Seismic Exchange full-time

Pros

Select "veteran" employees that will give you positive and constructive feedback; understanding and supportive when personal emergencies come up; some departments have flex hours so if you get there early enough you may leave early

Cons

No (or extremely little) salary increases and unsteady bonuses;
    No career paths;
    The interview promises you a position that does not exist or that you may not actually get;
    You will be moved around departments/positions without notice or without a choice

Advice to Management

Be more knowledgable about your employees and get to know them, rather than word-of-mouth and family/friend ties when it comes to layoffs, reorganizations, and even when moving around positions.

The "we have a plan for you" quote gets overused by Mgmt. Consider this a broken promise that lets employees down later down the road.

8. "QCIS"

Former Employee - QCIS in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - QCIS in Houston, TX

Pros

Friendly environment, good management, lots of support from co-workers and managers

Cons

Projects sometimes felt pointless and like a waste of time

"Great company for personal growth and great employees"

Former Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I worked at Seismic Exchange (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make your career your own. If you apply yourself and go above and beyond, management will notice and give you more responsibilities. Management is hands on and listens to the employee's needs and personal goals. The company is family oriented, the employees are all nice, and the Houston office building is top of the line. I owe a lot of my knowledge and well rounded career to SEI and the opportunities that they gave me.

Cons

The industry, due to its relation to oil and gas, has its ups and downs.

Advice to Management

I truly enjoyed management and only advise them to continue to encourage and appreciate the employees that work hard for the company.

"From 4 Stars to 1, A Tale of Two Companies"

Former Employee - Processing Geophysicist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Processing Geophysicist in Houston, TX

I worked at Seismic Exchange full-time

Pros

The people that I interacted with on a day-to-day basis were all great people. I still hang out with many of my former co-workers in evenings or on weekends.

The general sense of oppression creates a great sense of comradery. I could spend hours at a time sitting in other peoples office talking about how bad everything had gotten. Terrible for productivity, but a very relaxing way to spend the afternoon.

The work is very low concentration, which leaves a lot of time for listening to music/audiobooks or watching TV on your phone.

Cons

This is going to be more of a story than a list of cons. I feel that the current situation takes more explanation than a bullet list can provide.

Seismic Exchange used to be a decent place to work several years ago. I started in the spring of 2012 working for a sub-company called Pro-Seis. The work was easy and fun, and my co-workers were all great to work with. The pay was never great, but it was good for my position, being a part time student on the side. I was never sure that the company would be a great long-term career place, but I was optimistic as to the future.

Then, the mergenning happened.

The downturn of the oil industry hit exploration the hardest of any oil/gas process. There were massive layoffs across the company and the three sub-companies that were used for data processing were merged into one. To be fair to management, there was no way that they could have avoided the economic downturn, and they have survived it as well as can be expected. Everyone kind of went into the new merged company with a sense of despair and foreboding, but a few key instances of laziness on the part of management pushed us all over the edge within a few weeks.

The new lower level management was especially problematic. I was one of the few people who came from Pro-Seis who actually had a firm understanding of our processes and the science behind them. When we were presented with the new process-flow that we would be using, I immediately had a bunch of concerns that I brought up to co-workers and managers. Some of these were simple bug fixes (if you rearrange these two modules, the system won't crash and break everything), and some of these were more systemic concerns that I had with the new flow (the physical structure is disorienting, there is no room for quality assurance, etc). Whenever I brought these concerns up however, I was completely dismissed. I was never proven wrong or even debated on a technical level, and my concerns were never really addressed on any level. I was simply told that we don't want to make any changes, so shut up.

At no point were my concerns addressed no matter who I brought them to. My immediate superiors were ignored by management, and several of them were even fired for having the nerve to raise their concerns at all. When I brought my concerns to upper management, rather than an honest discussion, I was met with advanced NLP and conversational hypnosis techniques designed to convince me that there was no problem. Fortunately, I have spent a significant amount of time listening to NLP discussions and psychology while doing my work there, so I didn't fall for any of them, although I was very impressed by their sophistication.

The whole system seems to have lost all sense of caring or accountability to its employees. I got frustrated with the company and left to pursue my degree. Most of the people who cared about what happened got fired because management got tired of listening to them, and the rest have also quit. Everyone else works at a highly diminished capacity due to the sense of oppression that this has created. Bonuses are randomly delayed or withheld with no warning whatsoever. The managers aren't even in their offices half of the time, and have spent several afternoons since the merger drinking on the premises with each other. People get randomly let go regardless of how well they were or weren't doing. No one at any level of the company seems to care any more.

This was a somewhat heart-breaking year for me as I watched everything sort of collapse and never recover. I finished my degree and found a great new job working with one of my former co-workers from Pro-Seis. That being said, I do miss the old days of Pro-Seis.

Advice to Management

It's time to actually listen to the dozens of employees who either voiced their concerns until they were fired, or rage quit the company. I was never once really listened to by anyone who had the authority to change anything. Even technical concerns regarding something as simple as bug fixes are totally ignored by those running the show.

Everyone who had any competency has left the company by now or been fired. Find some industry experts and put them in charge until quality exists.

Pay your bonuses on time. Tell people if you can't pay them on time. Schedule raise discussions on an annual basis. Most of the people I worked with are being payed what they were two years ago, and no one is happy about it.

Increase salaries by 60% across the board to lower level employees. Industry standard for what I did was nearly double what I was making after I had been at the company for over three years.