Selby Jennings Reviews | Glassdoor

Selby Jennings Reviews

Updated Oct 3, 2019

Found 54 reviews

3.4
Selby Jennings CEO Harry Youtan  (no image)
Harry Youtan
Pros
  • "5hr lunch breaks, leave early, lunch clubs,free language lessons)(in 7 reviews)

• "Completely meritocratic business model with limited politics(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you are not used to long hours(in 15 reviews)

• "I think this firm should try to transition into a real recruitment firm instead of a scam firm(in 4 reviews)

"Great Company, Great Culture and Great Opportunity to Build your Career / Network"

Current Employee - Principal Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Selby Jennings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meritocratic culture allowing strong performers to strive and take on more responsibility. Great compensation structure. There is a fun and motivating environment inside and outside the office. Opportunities to take on new positions within the company, relocate to other cities and countries etc. Excellent internal training programs for newcomers or employees who are taking on new tasks.

Cons

Would be nice to have some type of flexible work schedule but to be fair, working from home is rare in a sale role.

Advice to Management

Create more long term incentives. Add flexibility work schedules, work from hom etc.

Selby Jennings2019-07-16
  2. "Fun work environment, LONG hard hours, little pay"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Selby Jennings full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun to work there, tons of company benefits if you're a top seller - Vacations, work events with unlimited alcohol - People who work there are very hard working and driven

Cons

- Long hours - High and unrealistic expectations - Low pay, and rigged commission structure

Selby Jennings2019-08-13

"Don't respond to our calls!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Selby Jennings full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a high potential for compensation

Cons

I feel ethically attacked every single time I am forced to convince a client to accept a job they don't like. It also sucks to continue tricking people for the sake of money. I don't know how my colleagues can ethically stand up to this, but this whole culture is trash. We always offer fake jobs filled with lies just to make our boss' life better by giving them more money? I think this firm should try to transition... into a real recruitment firm instead of a scam firm.

Advice to Management

Please, for the sake of ethics, close this business.

Selby Jennings2019-07-25

Selby Jennings Response

August 2, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on our professional and high level of service to our clients and candidates. If you have witnessed practice that is concerning to you, we encourage you to get in touch with your local HR team to discuss further. Professional conduct is a key priority of ours and we hope that you get in touch for a face to face meeting or call. Our email is HR.US@phaidoninternational.

"Meritocratic to the extreme - amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Selby Jennings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Selby is a very well established brand in the US now after being out here for 5 years, they work with some of the best banks, hedge funds, asset managers and trading firms in the world. The culture is extremely meritocratic - if you perform well, progression is not based on years of service but achievements and results, if you like that type of environment - it's amazing. It's a multi-faceted sales role - you... bring in new clients, work with existing accounts, manage relationships and build your own brand too. if want to learn all of those skills it's a unique chance to do so. You get the benefit of the Phaidon international model and cross selling ability. I've had the chance to do a different job every year over 5 years in the business and have constantly felt challenged but supported too. The culture - work hard, make money and have fun with like-minded people. you can't ask for much more than that in my view. The business has gone from 5-250 people in the US in 5 years, the growth is insane and even faster than I was told it would be. The culture isn't arrogant - you don't get that "too cool for school" feeling from those that do well, everyone genuinely wants each other to do well.

Cons

It's not for everyone It's not a 9-5 - if you want somewhere to hide or "a job" this isn't the place. with any rapidly growing firm there are growing pains

Advice to Management

be proactive with the infrastructure to grow rather than reactive

Selby Jennings2018-04-02
  5. "Exceptional culture and opportunity to be a true market expert"

I have been working at Selby Jennings full-time

Pros

- Completely meritocratic business model with limited politics - Clear visibility to upper management - Extremely organic company results in Managers and Team Leaders with a lot of domain recruitment knowledge - Selby Jennings operates in a market that few recruitment firms found success

Cons

- Long work hours - Complex market's that take time to fully understand without a background in financial services

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to expand across the USA.

Selby Jennings2018-03-22

"Highly likely a scam."

in New York, NY

I have been working at Selby Jennings

Pros

No good experience with them so far.

Cons

They reached out to me for a job opportunity, but they asked me to share the resume before they could share the job descriptions with me. Next day I had to follow up via phone to get the job descriptions. As I asked more questions, they stopped responding to me and they just wouldn't respond whether via emails or phone calls. About two business days later, I was finally able to reach the guy after several phone... calls and the guy told me that the job was closed the day after they had first reached out to me for my resume. I was glad that I never shared with them my salary info. Be very careful with this company. It's highly likely that they are just fishing for your bio/salary info (current or expected) with some fake job opportunities. Also, it appears to be very unorganized as multiple people at this company would reach out to me fishing for my job/salary info. They don't seem to talk to each other internally.

Advice to Management

Be careful of the legal consequences of using/sharing the job applicants' salary or other private information with your clients without any approval from your job applicants.

Selby Jennings2017-10-16

"Good career start for young grads"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Selby Jennings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-This is a great place to begin your career and earn some great money (six figures) -you will learn some basic sales techniques -Access to sr. management- If you have an idea about the business, senior management will listen to you and in some cases give you the reigns to correct or implement your idea - great perks but only for top billers

Cons

- long hours, strictly enforced. If you are 5 mins late you get written up; you cant even leave 5 mins early or you will be judged as not working hard - everyone here is a fresh grad, who is greedy and hungry to make money, its a great place to be in sales but not to further expand your career and grow as a professional. Good for 1-2 years experience but after that you cant expect much personal growth - team... managers are young and inexperienced, often with their own agenda

Selby Jennings2017-07-28
  8. "Great place to start a career for young grads."

I worked at Selby Jennings full-time

Pros

Very team based approach and high cohesiveness between members. Management really does a lot in order to make success more convenient for individuals.

Cons

Weekly and/or Monthly quotas are annoying because the company emphasizes them but they aren't necessarily the best indicators of performance.

Advice to Management

Create a better system for performance optimization than simply increasing the margins for weekly/monthly quotas.

Selby Jennings2017-07-12

"Great Potential, But Probably Won't Live Up to Promises"

I have been working at Selby Jennings full-time

Pros

Pretty good environment if you're young and this is your first job. There is potential to make a lot of money and get promoted, but it's dependent on what space you get hired in. Great benefits packages and a lot of cool incentives for employees. As far as recruitment companies go, it's probably one of the best ones to work at. Recruitment in general can just be tough.

Cons

Similar cons to any recruitment firm. Bit of a sweatshop, but probably less than elsewhere. One huge con is that they over-promise and under-deliver. Yes, there is potential, but very few people are able to reach it.

Selby Jennings2017-05-12

"Run Far from Selby Jennings"

Helper in New York, NY

I worked at Selby Jennings

Pros

Let you know how bad a recruitment firm can be, and what to look for to find a good one

Cons

Fraud, no ethics. For candidates, probe for questions. Even told me to forward emails I traded with an employer that was not introduced through them

Advice to Management

Stop

Selby Jennings2017-04-14